Cameron Corner

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:29
ThreadID: 34006 Views:3222 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,

I have had a look at the previous threads but I am looking for some more up to date info from those with recent experiences.
I am planning a trip to Cameron Corner from Melbourne in the July school holidays with my 2 sons 9 & 5, Mother and daughter will stay home to paint the back of the house (got to take that opportunity).
Thing of 7-10 days from start to finish.
I will be taking a off road camper trailer and was curious what I need to be prpared for.
I did the Oodnadatta Track and up to Finke and then to Alice last year but without a trailer, but finally lost one trye coming home through the Mareenie Loop.
Yes I deflated the tyres but was just unlucky I guess.

I have a new set of tyres now all be it Bridgestone 694's, so I'm confident up to Tibooburra.

What do I expect past that?
What do I need to be prpared for?
What should I dfinitely see?
Do I need UHF radio, GPS etc?

Etc.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Malcolm P.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark (Geelong) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 10:54

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 10:54
Road conditions vary but road north of Broken Hill to Tibooburra is Gravel and may be rough in some places and from Tiboobura to Camerons Corner is a Formed road in reasonable condition
Pop in at Milparinka and have a look on way through

Just drive to the conditions , weather should be mild and UHF would be handy

All signposted well

Enjoy the scenery and say g,day to Bill Mitchell (Store prop) from Mark in Geelong
Mark (Geelong)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 173321

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:48

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:48
Malcolm,

The trip to Tib and the corner is very easy.

The Silver City Highway north of Broken Hill to Tib is about 2/3 sealed now. It is well maintained but there are a few spots that regularly catch people out. Like the creek just south of Packsaddle roadhouse. It causes probs mostly for vehicles heading south, it's not overly rough but if it is hit wrong and at speed a rollover is not unusual.

There is lots to see between Tib and Camerons Corner, and a few different roads to take. If you contact National Parks office in Broken Hill they should be able to give you lots of info. You could talk to them about Mutawingee NP at the same time. It is not far out of your way and is worth a visit.

Also I would recommend a day around Milparinka. Take the boys and show them all the historic stuff like Depot Glen etc. You'll be suprised how much they remember. If you have time plan to travel one way via the back roads north of Silverton. At least for some of it. The western side of the mountains is quite different to the estern side. It is interesting and will break up the trip. It is a lot slower though.

As for communications if you have a CDMA in a car kit you should get coverage most of the way from BH to Tib. A UHF would be useful but there will be plenty of traffic, you shouldn't have to wait long if you need help.

I am in Broken Hill, Member Message me if you need anymore help.

Duncs
AnswerID: 173330

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 12:09

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 12:09
Malcolm P (VIC)

Was in the corner last week.
Fort Grey is a good camping area. remember NO camp fire allowed. It will be cold.
Corner is VERY dry at the moment. The country is not looking its best.
With your setup, you should have no problems.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173333

Follow Up By: jonsal - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:44

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 13:44
just got back from corner april. camped at dead horse gully 2 kms out of town in nat park. gas bbqs and drop dunny. camp ground at tibooburra good too and maybe a bit more protected if windy weather. call in to national parks office in tibooburra for detailed trip notes and mud maps of the area. good for day trips from base camp. lots of flies at fort grey, take fly veils. national parks might even run some discovery talks if you are going in the school holidays. mt wood station area interesting with outdoor museum and shearing shed. milparinka and surrounding areas good too. a walk up mt poole is worth the effort. boys should get up it in no time. do a google on corner country, thedalpa stn, mt browne goldfields for more info. a uhf is handy. no fires in sturt national park. take some warm gear and beanies. have fun, its great out there.
FollowupID: 429239

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 18:18

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 18:18
Wim

Which campground at Fort Grey did you stay at?

Dave O
FollowupID: 429324

Reply By: Lyds- Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 15:07

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 15:07
We stayed at the Caravan Park at Tibooburra and took a day trip out to the corner.

Do the loop road via the jumpup; much more scenic and a better road than the main strip. Its about 150kms, so allow a couple of hours each way - trip notes available from the NP office in Tibooburra.

We went in via Mutawintji NP. If you do that in School Hols check dates for a tour by the locals.
AnswerID: 173358

Follow Up By: RustyHelen - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 20:54

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 20:54
I agree. The Loop Rd and thru the Sturt Nat Park a great drive and the NP office in Tibbo a great resource for us.
Fort Grey was a planned stop for us but the flies chased us away. We stopped, had a walk around and had picked out a tree to camp under but gave up, not even having lunch. The drive in was great though.
Rusty
FollowupID: 429359

Reply By: Marc - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 21:30

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 21:30
we are palnning to be there in june and have the same problems finding up to date info. I take it by the thread that camping is a no go a the fort. We are planning at this stage to stop at the corner and support the RFDS. Is it possible to do the loop and get to the corner in one day??
AnswerID: 173433

Follow Up By: Dave198 - Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 23:08

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 23:08
Marc, you will have no trouble getting to the Corner via the Loop Road in a few hours.
It really only depends on how many photo stops you want for the scenery or the wildlife. There is lots to see.
As suggested too, go and climb Mt.Poole with your kids, and go and see Pooles grave at Milparinka, (Depot Glen really). You have to go a few Kms. out of Milparinka for that at Mt Poole station, but it is clearly signposted which way to go.
Dave
FollowupID: 429388

Sponsored Links