Free caravaning...

Submitted: Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:10
ThreadID: 34044 Views:3970 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I'm spanish and with ten friends will go this August to Australia (Queensland,Darwin,AliceSprings and Kangaroo Island). We have hired two motorhomes and I like to know if we can sleep in somewhere or it's necessary to camping in campervan or campings and if it's easy to travel with motorhome in Australia. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tima - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:14

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:14
Hi,

you'll get a lot of responses here, but Motorhome travel in Australia is easy, and comfortable, but the list of destinations you gave covers an enormous area and vast distances. I'd recommend that you make sure you stick to the main roads, give yourself plenty of time, and if you do venture out, let someone know, and carry an EPIRB should anything go wrong.

beware the drop bears though.....

Hope you have a great time

Tim
AnswerID: 173565

Follow Up By: pizote - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:05

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:05
Hi,

Thank you about information and I'm sorry but... What is it an EPIRB?
FollowupID: 429595

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 23:28

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 23:28
Hi,
Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.
An activated EPIRB will relay a message to the search and rescue coordination centre in Canberra.
It must only be activated in life threatening situations.

Mike
FollowupID: 429622

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:16

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:16
You can buy a book called Camps Australia Wide 3 from this website. It lists most places you can legally camp free, and a few of the cheaper caravan parks. It is also a good basic map book, well worth buying.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173566

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:38

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:38
G'day pizote,
that appears like a good trip.
How much time have you got for it. Traveling in a Motorhome here in OZ is a little different than in Europe. Distances are huge and average speeds will be lower.
Some of the roads you travel may also be a little remote and not heavily travelled.

What type / size Motorhomes did you hire? Does the Hire Company allow travel on dirt roads?

Camping is easy and some places are free.

You can send me an email if you like more Info, email address is under my rig pic.

Enjoy your trip,
Mike
AnswerID: 173570

Reply By: Kenell - Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:57

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 17:57
Pizote,

The advice you have received already is accurate. Depending where you enter Australia I am guesstimating your trip could cover more than 7000 kilometers. The roads will be good but very long and not a lot between towns. The weather will range from quite warm to pretty cold as you are covering the entire length of the country in winter. If you haven't had any advice in relation to your itinerary it might be a good idea to detail what attracts you to Australia, the time you have available, budget etc and how best to see as much as possible. There are many people with a great deal of experience who read this forum who would love to help you. Travelling in Australia with a campervan is very easy.

The Camps 3 book suggested by Motherhen is a must. It is in every traveller's car. The Drop Bears are a myth that we Aussies like to scare overseas visitors with. They are actually Koalas,that never fall out of trees. If you stay on formed roads I am not sure that an EPIRB is necessary.

Good luck.

Kenell
AnswerID: 173575

Follow Up By: pizote - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:05

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:05
Hi,

Sorry if my english isn't very good but I want to thank you to someone about your information.

It has been very useful and I am very anxious to arrive to Australia this August. I would like to know more things about caravan in Australia but only I'm visitor member of Exploroz, so I cannot know your emails. If someone want to write me, my email is r_casanova14@hotmail.com.

Thank you again.
FollowupID: 429974

Reply By: Jugs - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:22

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:22
Pizote

Hope you realy enjoy your trip I had the fun of motercycleing round europe for 3 years and loved Span many people gave me there time and help for only a smile I hope and think you will find Australia the same. A web site you might find useful is NRMA it is a Local Motering company a bit like the RAC in England in is based in the state of New South Wales but gives information for all over Ausrtralia. There are other orginsations in each state which you would also find useful.
Our Government weather bureau in Bureau of Met the site has lots of information and Sat. in Radar weather images as well as forcasts.

Have fun

Jugs
AnswerID: 174026

Reply By: Gu_Patrol - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 20:37

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 20:37
Will you have some kind of communication between the 2 motorhomes.
AnswerID: 174063

Sponsored Links