Kalumburu Road, open or not.

Submitted: Friday, May 19, 2006 at 22:00
ThreadID: 34056 Views:2089 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
There seems to be some confusion as to open or not regarding the Kalumburu Road.

The Kalumburu Road has been open from the junction of the GR road to Drysdale River Station since Mon the 8 th May.
There is a chain accross the road near here which blocks access North, the Shire ( and us locals ) are sick to death of one or two people going round the closed signs and stuffing the road for everyone for weeks longer after they get bogged in it. Keep off it and it will open much sonner for all to use, big bog holes take SO much longer to dry out.

The present plan is to open the Kalumburu Road as far North as the Mitchell Plateau turn off on Monday 22 nd May. The grader is presently working on some wash outs in this section that would force you to take to the bush. I guess it will depend if they manage to get the work done by Monday as per plan. The grader may yet get bogged !
The King Edward River crossing is still deep and MAY not be suitable for some of the smaller & and or petrol vehicles. I gather there are a couple of holes in the crossing so it should be checked before the decision is made to cross it.
At the end of the day it is up to you if you feel comfortable with the depth etc. There are wash outs on the Mitchell plateau track as well & a few fallen trees are currently being removed.
It will be proceed with care on the Mitchell Plateau track when they do open it. I guess it will be a while yet before they manage to get the grader along all of it.
Do not take this as definate, I am only telling you what the plan is.
cheers, Anne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 14:07

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 14:07
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the update. Your information on conditions in the area are always welcome. Looking forward to catching up in July.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 173661

Reply By: long haired nomad - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 15:59

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 15:59
G'Day Anne,
Whats the minimum number of people for the joy flights?
AnswerID: 173672

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:08

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:08
Hope this answers all, cheers, Anne

2006 Flight prices are

Two hour scenic flight, Prince Regent, waterfalls, coastline & islands, Mitchell Falls.
No landing.
5 or 6 passengers $230 pp
4 passengers $275 pp
3 passengers ( min number) $360 pp

Plane is normally here about Mid May to Mid Sept but of course all depends upon road and weather.

Regretfully most don't advance book their flights.
We always do our best to make good loads for the flights to get price down and despite holding a booking you are not obligated to fly if no one wishes to share with you. We love bookings as it allows us to try to organise others to share

If you want a flight I strongly suggest you advance book if at all possible as there are already days when it is booked out by tour groups.

We can fit in 3 flights per day , normally
6.30 am to 8.30 am ( most popular)
9 am to 11am
2 pm to 4 pm.
FollowupID: 429767

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 23:34

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 23:34
Gday Anne,

the million dollar quention (from my perspective); will the road through to Kalumburu be open on the 13th of june, ( I hopefully will see you on the 12th on the way through on the long overdue adventure!)

I reaqlise it is hard to tell, but your in the box seat as far as local knowlege goes.

see you in 3 weeks and 2 days

Cheers adndrew
AnswerID: 173721

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:22

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:22
Can't see any reason why it won't be open well before then. ( Unless it rains again ! ) Think at present they hope to open it all the way through to Kalumburu fairly soon. I can't give you a date as I understand it depends how the grader goes on the soft stuff fixing the wash outs etc but THINK the plan is to do so before the end of the month, POSSIBLY even within a week or so. No one can give you exact date till grader has a go at it.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 429728

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:46

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 11:46
Hello Anne,

Thanks for all the updates. We're hoping to be up there in the middle of August. We plan to stay at Drysdale then head up to Kalumbaru and Mitchell Falls.

I was just wondering if you could tell me whether you can camp at Ellenbrae Station or not?

Looking forward to getting up there....

Best wishes

Viv
AnswerID: 173766

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:10

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 18:10
I am in fact not sure on this question as yet. Norm & Toni have gone from there and I don't know what is happening over there re tourism, sorry !
Perhaps the Derby Visitor center can help on this one.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 429768

Sponsored Links