home made icebox

Submitted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 19:36
ThreadID: 34073 Views:2057 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have just started making a home made ice box made out of 100ml thick styrophome. 250 litres (same stuff they make freezers out of in pubs) i was told by the person who gave me the off cuts that when i put it together (if done properly) ice should last about 3 weeks! (maybe dry ice?) Has anyone done anything similar?? and if so what were the results? I made a 25ml thick esky recently out of the same stuff, and it lasted about 3 days in the direct sun ,4 x 4 litres of frozen milk contaniers plus 1 bag of ice and 1 carton of beer. (experiment only)
50 ltr in size.
any input would be app.
ps .I LIVE IN TOWNSVILLE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros 1 - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:33

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:33
hz75,
G'day bloke, I made one out of some offcuts that i was given also. (That's the stuff comprised of foam glued between colorbond sheets). Got a bit out of hand somewhere along the track and finished up about 400 lt. Since then i have not used it except to store things in. Sorry can't help you with ice longevity.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 173703

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:58

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 20:58
Here's mine, made out of bricks, polystyrene and mortar. It was the old bbq that had become an eyesore in the bbq area, I use one of those fancy gas ones these days. I decided to do something with it. Sunk an old weber in one side and made the icebox in the other. holds a few slabs and ice cold for a number of days, it's naturally cool without ice, bluddy ripper when we have a big night but a bugger to get in the back of the lux.

AnswerID: 173707

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:51

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 22:51
Ray!! a bit hard on the old back getting it into the back of the wagon!!!! OHHH I just re read you post... you agree. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 429692

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 09:43

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 09:43
LOL just jack it up, put wheels under it and off you go hahahaha
FollowupID: 429724

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:25

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:25
R E S P E T C !!!! Both ideas brilliant ....... and functional ..............respect!
FollowupID: 429809

Reply By: Hairy - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 09:33

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 09:33
Dont know about 3 weeks, maybee if you live in the Antarctic.
I live in Alice Springs and in summer you might get 1 week if you use block ice, everything goes in as cold as possible and you dont open it too often.
I try to take out the days supply of grog in the morning and put it in another esky to save opening your main supply as often.
Also make sure you use a really good seal around the lid.

Cheers
AnswerID: 173747

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 09:36

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 09:36
I have one I purchased many years ago and used it on Fraser Is trips. It is 50mm all around.

As for the size hmmmm holds 12 plus cartons of beer hmmmmmmmmm beerrrr sorry side tracked :).

I was able to place a block of dry ice in the bottom Wrapped up and in a container then ice over the bottom to the height of the container toss salt over the ice then bags over the lot place frozen pre made meals and slowly worked up to top.

It was used as a base unit only go to once a day and take out stuff for the day and put in other eskies. I also placed it off the ground and in a shady spot, it would last 2 weeks. Mind you not much was left at two weeks. You will also do well once you start taking stuff out put a cover over your food and drinks as it goes down this will help made it last longer. A esky is better when full than half empty as you use ice to cool the free space.

It may have gone longer but I had small kids who would open it looking for goodies ......... god bless the rugrats :). Still have it and gets used for parties etc etc.

As for Dry Ice my last use of it was on a Cape trip well the others in the group used it and it never did the job at all was a waste of money and in the end block ice lasted much longer and hell of a lot cheaper.

Brian

AnswerID: 173749

Reply By: Member No 1- Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:30

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 08:30
alloy skinned insulation...make sure you seal all joints inside and outside....VAPOUR AND MOISTURE!

if any of these get between the inner and outer liner there goes the insulation properties of the panels....its a compounding problem once it starts.

100mm will be too bulky and heavy compared against 50mm and expected life of ice.

AnswerID: 173904

Sponsored Links