Hmmm - fresh produce and WA border

Submitted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 20:38
ThreadID: 34105 Views:2280 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I'm planning a foray from SA into WA.

I only plan on going as far as Israelite Bay, then up the Connie Sue to Neales Junction, then back into SA along the Anne Beadell.

I'm planning on doing this with kids and anticipate that they will need fresh fruit and vegies.

Do I have to break the law or is there some loophole that can let me do this without running the risk of getting picked up on the border and fresh food confiscated - going out or coming in, for that matter.

Damn these state borders.

Ciao for now
Andrew who think's he'll be forced to be a pescavore or obligate carnivore, or if the flies are bad, insectivore.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave198 - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:14

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:14
Andrew, as far as I know, the checkpoint is at Norseman. They won't let you in with honey, or even any boxes or cartons that have had fruit in, e.g. apple or banana cartons.
Dave
AnswerID: 173849

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:31

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:31
It's at Eucla as I recall ... and having spoken to them just now, they say that I have to get the Eucla Roadhouse to provision us!

FollowupID: 429812

Follow Up By: JJ - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 23:49

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 23:49
Under Forum Index, up top, check out little blue boxes up top.Go to 'On the Road'. Scroll down to & open Food and Water. All you need to know re Quarantine Station is under the heading Quarantine Regulations.
FollowupID: 430084

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:42

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:42
Do the trip in the reverse direction, that will minimise the provisioning required at Eucla.
They will also confiscate hessian bags, feedsacks etc.
AnswerID: 173858

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:49

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:49
yeah - will have to think about it, but was hoping to end up at Painted Desert ... if I have time, so the flex in the trip is at the North Eastern end ...
FollowupID: 429816

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:43

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:43
Andrew,
Checkpoint heading west is at Eucla and they are strict. Checkpoint heading east is at Ceduna. Theres no checkpoint on the Anne Beadell Hwy!!

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 173859

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:50

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:50
Nice point Phil.

It's a bit hard for them to ask us to provision at Neales Junction ;-)
FollowupID: 429817

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:36

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:36
Actually the check point is at Border Village heading west, right on the border itself.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 429838

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:39

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:39
Have they changed it again? It used to be at ceduna but my last drive accross it was at Border
FollowupID: 430344

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:59

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 21:59
Hi Andrew
They took my new sqeeze bottle of honey of me at the Kununurra site and when i got into town i went to the supermarket only to see the same brand on the shelf, thier excuse was it might be that other honey could be added to the bottle, A big BIG fine if you get caught
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173863

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:05

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:05
Andrew - Processed food is OK; eg canned fruit and vege, frozen food (if you have a freezer) or those commercial dried veges. Dried fruit is usually well liked by children and is space saving as well. So long as the food is free of soil and cooked you're OK. I peel onions and potatoes well - they last a few days like that in a plastic bag. Staff check there is no soil left on them, and in they can come. They will even confiscate fruit and vege as well as food boxes that have come with me from WA. I have now bought plastic containers for packing instead of boxes. Honey can't come in either. I'm sure you can have a healthy diet without 'fresh' fruit and veg, and you will have less to refrigerate too (unless you cook and freeze everything).

This year i had a big cook up of all the leftover veges, which was hard to handle as the caravan fridge had come to grief, and i was fitting everything into the Engel car fridge. Managed it though.

The checkpoint is at the Border - a few kms East of Eucla.

Have a wonderful trip.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 173864

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:36

Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 22:36
Hi Andrew

Try this link or have a look at the member file swap "Travellers Guide Keep WA Clean"
Because of the cane toad's coming in to WA they will be very strict

have a good trip but remember to KEEP WA CLEAN

Regards

Richard

Site Link
AnswerID: 173870

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 09:23

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 09:23
I have had unsatisfactory dealings with these guys on several occasions. I've found them to be generally rude, ignorant and aggressive.
On one occasion I had my families stuff strewn over the road just on dark, a pile of cars behind me, and then I find that the rear doors weren't functioning properly. Naturally they found no bloody banned substances.
On another occasion I almost ended up in physical bunfight with one guy (and anyone knowing me will know that's got to be a first :) Only the threat of his bosses bum being kicked politically saved the day.
The next checkpoint had a lady who took us at our word, and was polite and cheerful. What a difference !
Not a great job, but they seemed to get their labour from the closest pub.
For all travellers sakes, I sincerely hope that things are better these days.
AnswerID: 173917

Follow Up By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:28

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:28
I concur

they can be a bit testy at times. We had a grump little person. they are pretty unforgiving, wont even allow old fruit boxes.

Some good friends of mine several weeks back nearly had their vehicle quarantined because of a little mu. Thankfully the missus was able to sweet talk one of the hitlers into letting them use the hose and wash it down in the driveway. Quite ironic really seeing as every following vehicle would have been picking up the mud on the way through.
FollowupID: 429888

Reply By: 1arm - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:10

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 16:10
Seems to be a lot of negative responses to these guys standing in the middle of the nullabor 24 hrs a day.
You have to remember that their job is to prevent the entry of a range of pests and disease entering WA and keeping it disease free.
Personally I didnt have any trouble during January when I went across and back and other than these guys not being in the mood for conversation didnt have a problem at all.
AnswerID: 173993

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:02

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:02
we had no problem up near kunnunurra but a woman a day before did put it all under the bed and said nothing to declare the guys found heaps of stuff under the bed

there was talk of putting in under car and tyre baths dont know if anymore has happened about that

steve
AnswerID: 174020

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:57

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:57
Andrew W
Check point at SAWA border make sure you have no cardboard boxes with fruit or veg lables on them, or will be confiscated as possable contamination in the flutes of the box. Other items already covered in post.

Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 174032

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:32

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:32
Hi All,
In my past life I spent some time at the checkpoint(when it was east of Norseman) dealing with all you travellers.

Most were reasonable people when the reasons for the checkpoint were explained, but there were also a few who were not at all impressed when asked to open the boot, caravan fridge etc.
It's extremely surprising what we found hidden in some vehicles.

After one has dealt with a number of those ignorant B's, is it surprising that the inspector, who as 1arm said is only doing his job, is a little bit terse with you.

Disco

AnswerID: 174286

Sponsored Links