Low Water Alarm

Submitted: Monday, May 22, 2006 at 10:39
ThreadID: 34115 Views:1824 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I had been encouraged by friends to do something about my heat gauges. The Nissan one died a while ago and then I ended up marrying a new Nissan sender to a new VDO gauge which does not work properly. Temperatures shown are actually up to 20% lower.

I fitted an Engine Saver Low Water Alarm on the weekend ( as advertised here on Exploroz).

It works very well and is super sensitive and hopefully this will save my engine from disaster should I lose coolant quickly.

The Polyairs are also fitted and with only 5psi in the bags the GQ body is raised very slightly at the back. No doubt we will see how things pan out when fully loaded and with the trailer in tow.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - uncle - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 11:02

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 11:02
They look ok Willem, was thinking of one for ourselves,been caught out once before in another vehicle and water dissappeared,cooked the engine as the eyes wern't on the dash but of the mother of a road we were on!.
I notice you have gauze over your bullbar to protect the radiator etc,we've just done the same to keep the bugs out, have you noticed any difference with heating? Run hotter etc? So far ours seems ok ,no worries but havn't towed the CT with it on yet.
AnswerID: 173935

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 17:58

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 17:58
uncle

I only use the gauze when driving on overgrown tracks or offroad. So I go slow and the temp doesnt vary much.
FollowupID: 429972

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 11:04

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 11:04
Yeah that engine saver low water alarm is on my list of must get. Plenty of gauges in my truck to tell me whats going on but they are no good if there is no water in the block.

The airbags are the best investment if you tow a lot IMO.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 173936

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 11:32

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 11:32
Roachie is getting nervous - your car is creeping up on his on the 'accessories' list. I would love some more accessories but alas I have to work for a living and Jen is unimpressed by big accessory lists, tyres and tools.

Andrew
AnswerID: 173941

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:23

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:23
G'day Andrew

Yes I knew from the start that Jen wouldnt be impressed by anything I had on my dashboard...lol. But it is starting resemble a DC3 aeroplane up front. I have finally built in a laptop desk, Satphone, Mobile and microphone brackets as I became tired of having wires and stuff everywhere.

I am really sorry to hear that you have to work so hard.....lol

Drop in for an icecream and some PP juice some time. Better be before mid June as we are off again into the never never.

Cheers
FollowupID: 429978

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 13:47

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 13:47
Willem. I have had one fitted. Had a crook radiator once and dont want to repeat the experience. Apparently most cookings happen when there's an overnight leak rather than a catastrophic loss. You drive off and bang. Was also told that with my vehicle I need coolant to make the gauge work, so its possible to read normal and have no coolant....not sure how true this is but it sounds alarming.
AnswerID: 173956

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:03

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:03
Sounds like an urban myth to me ... surely all your sender unit does is send a signal to your gauge, I'm sure it doesn't analyse the fluid.

The interesting thing though, is that plain water will cool more efficiently than a water/coolant mixture.
FollowupID: 430167

Reply By: Jugs - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 15:23

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 15:23
Willem
looks as with the sender / gauge mismatch the out put voltage from the sender is not what is expected by the VDO gauge. I guess you have a few options.
If you look up the sepc. for the sender it should have the Temp range and Voltage range. though this may be easer to get from an correct after market replacement sender than from Nissan, them check you VDO gauge spec. They should match up. So you could swap gauge or sender to get the correct matching specs, and right Temp on the gauge. If you wanted to be a but creative you could put a resister in line sized by trial and error and change the Voltage output from the sender but I’m not sure which way it would sent the gauge ! and how accurate it would be across the range. For the cost of the correct sender and perhaps a pipe fitting from your local pluming suppliers it is hardly worth the trouble / risk . Having the correct sender / Gauge to know the correct Temp of your engine is probably cheap insurance
AnswerID: 173980

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:49

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 18:49
Jugs

Yes I started with buying a new Nissan sender. Mistake number one. That wasn't the problem. Then I bought the VDO and sender etc but the sender didn't fit and no matter what I did I still could not get it to fit even with extra attachments. Roachie suggested other methods but in the end I just married the VDO to the Nissan. Recently I have checked the temp with a laser unit and it is around 20% incorrect. Its no big deal. I am however electronically challenged...lol....so I just watch the VDO to see if it rises too much. Now with the Low Water Alarm fitted I have extra protection, I hope. There are no guarantees in life!!!....L-)
FollowupID: 429987

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 15:54

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 15:54
I see Willem taking on Roachie for most gauges :P

Pilliar pod next dude? ;)~
AnswerID: 173989

Reply By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:32

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:32
Willem,
Fitted an Engine Saver to my vehicle before i left Tassie six weeks ago.I believe it is very cheap Insurance compared to a cooked motor.Had a bad experience about 20 years ago with a new Ford Louiville with a 400HP Cummins.
Heading out to get a load of logs(on its first trip) and the bottem radiator hose let go for some reason.Could smell burning paint and pulled up before any damage was done.Temp.guage never moved as there was no coolant.
Also have Polyairs fitted, run 8 psi empty and 15 to 18 with the van on.Both exellent products.
Duke
AnswerID: 174100

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:36

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:36
G'day Willem

Just a quick point.

I have polyairs on the Troopy and the directions state that there is a minimum you must run in the bags even when unloaded.

I haven't gone out and had a look, however I sure it is more than 5 psi though.

Just check yours for me and put my mind at ease so to speak. (LOL)

L
AnswerID: 174182

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:22

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:22
Absolute minimum of 5psi, Ken. Says so on the packet.

Have you recovered from your ordeal yet?

Cheers
FollowupID: 430314

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:29

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 18:29
Thats good Williem.

I just knew that there was minimum, but didn't think it was that low.

By the time I got Adam home and returned to my place I had the shakes. Had tea and a bath and went to bed.

Woke up bug eyed and raring to go at the crack of dawn the next day. Good old brain hadn't come back to reality.

Hell I felt like I had been hit by a cricket bat so had the day off (Mon) and today.

Will return to work tomorrow.

K
FollowupID: 430318

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)