OT - coloured coke bottles.

Submitted: Monday, May 22, 2006 at 11:34
ThreadID: 34117 Views:1981 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This is Off Topics and has nothing to do with 4WDing, so David, delete this if you wish.

I work in Frotitude Valley in Brisbane, and we get a lot of street kids around here who sniff paint (most of them are not indigenous for those that wish to know). What they do is, they get spray paint and spray a bit into an old soft drink bottle. Then they walk around with this bottle (like any soft drink bottle,) and sniff it every few minutes. It looks like thay are just having a drink except that the clear drink bottle is now the same colour as the paint inside it.

Apparantly the best paint for sniffing is silver (chrome) or gold. Hence the term "chroming". Generally young kids are very impressionable and carrying a coloured bottle like this is a sort of status symbol of rebelion, independence, freedom and inforces their anti-authoritarian image.

You may remeber that a few years ago, Coca Cola released a silver coloured bottle which looked EXACTLY like the bottles used for chroming. Now they have a gold version as well. They obviously saw a marketing opportunity and are happy to exploit that image to your kids and grand-kids, which I believe is very irresponsible.

So, I'd suggest that firstly, you don't buy coke (or any of their products) and secondly, let them know why you're not buying it.
Or you can do nothing if you wish.

R.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maroni - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:09

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:09
yeah i know what you are talking about, i was out shopping with my daughter the other day in large shopping centre in perth, saw a girl acting strange and noticed silver paint around her nose, daughter then explained what was happening and yes it was a plastic cool drink bottle..sad really
AnswerID: 173942

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:34

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 12:34
interesting story robak...
i saw a couple fo the gold coloured bottles in the take away shop yseterday... i think the gold colour has something to do with the soccer world cup ?
AnswerID: 173944

Reply By: Moser - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 14:29

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 14:29
Thats the first thing I thought of when I saw the gold colored coke bottle, disguise the paint or petrol they are sniffing, you would think that some one upstairs would think of these things instead of thinking of the dollar signs for a change

Moser
AnswerID: 173965

Sponsored Links