in car dvd set up

Submitted: Monday, May 22, 2006 at 20:23
ThreadID: 34146 Views:2630 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

i am needing some help and suggestions regarding setting up an entertainment system - DVD and games etc

there are lots on the market and this presents a challenge in terms of what to buy.
I have a preference for a unit that supports two screens - or is one screen ok - hung on the back of the front seats - but in the middle.

I have thought about a unit which is a bit more portabel ie can be used in the tent - but what are the consideration for charging - will the car kit charge or will i need to use the inverter.

suggestions and ideas well - no right or wrong answer - just looking for your thoughts .

regards

spinning wheels - PJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 20:56

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 20:56
Ours is a TEAC system, was $499, has two screens which strap to the head rests. The screens have independent switches so one child can watch the DVD while the other used a provided game pad with 50 games, there is also a input so you can attach other types of games!!

You could use it in a tent with power from the car but be warned with the car not running these can drain a battery. As we found out one trip when it was pouring rain and the kids were in the car while we were setting up and cooking dinner.

Our kids love it!! No problems with the system as yet!! Cured our daughter car sickness, now that was a bonus!!

There is a similar one from Dick Smith, but the screens didn't act independently of each other.

Steve
AnswerID: 174074

Follow Up By: spinningwheels-pj - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 21:05

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 21:05
Hi Steve - Thanks for the info - really good start -as there are so many choices - the dula functions sounds great as we have a samll age gap and one of them is a bit more of the gaming type so dula screens may be the go

Have you found any issue with vibration ie corregations on the unit - eg do they jump around .

Mark
FollowupID: 430039

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:30

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:30
Hi S,W
Mate dont know if this will suit you because it has not got seperate screens I have a 7YO and a 3YO and have made an extention of my consol in the back of my 100 LC it has an upholsterd body and lid which is also paded in grey it houses and hides a slimline PS 2 which I then bought a Joytech 8'' digital LCD monitorHarvey normans which is made for the PS2 it screws into the back of it then folds up and down like a lap top it also has a remote and a 12 v charger for the car and cost $250 I then went to jaycar and bought 2 wirless head phones about $80 each and a double cig fitting we took it up to frasor and when all the big kids took off at night we just pulled it out of the 4B and set it up in the tent with 240v they watch movies and played games untill bedtime and no we did not buy it for that but what Im saying is that it was a universal investment as when we get home just unscrew the screen pack it away for the next trip and you still have a PS2 for home the only thing about seat mounted units is they have wires hanging around and can get caught up and a pain to hide I just close the lid put the headphons into the pocket I made in the console and the dvds/games in the pocket below (heaps of storage) and visit the sites without any wandering eyes even knowing that its anything more than a consol unlike the roof mounts that are not removable and stand out for all to see
anyway thats just my view and I just went through the same delema and thought you might be interested

Regards J.B.
FollowupID: 430225

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 21:20

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 21:20
Never had any problems with jumping at all.

We also have an age gap, a 4 years old who likes movies and a 9 year old who'd rather play games if we have Hi-5 or something like that on!!

Steve
AnswerID: 174081

Follow Up By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:11

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:11
Hey Steve,

Looks like the same river crossing mate :)
FollowupID: 430064

Follow Up By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:19

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:19
Yep, it's the same crossing, a real wheel spinner for some!!!

Steve
FollowupID: 430069

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:07

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:07
This is the one I use - comes with 2 game controllers, can play CD/DVD/ .avi files
etc... you can buy 2 and run them as separate units...

Site Link
AnswerID: 174095

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:17

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:17
we bought a similar unit, paid a bit more though.........that can happen on ebay. games cracked me up, all the ones I played as a kid.

doesn't skip so far (on highway anyway. Ours picks up tv, transmits to fm, and has a rechargeable battery

cheers andrew
FollowupID: 430147

Reply By: gq pat - Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:50

Monday, May 22, 2006 at 22:50
we have the same as steve. no problems with it other than watch to watch with a 8,6 & 3 year old . we use head phones with an adaptor for the 3rd h/set . money well spent . ours came with a 240 volt power pac . dvd player also plays cd,mp3-cd . teac mobile dvd model dv-p300g .may be updated now had it 1 yr now.
AnswerID: 174102

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 07:15

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 07:15
Ours is the drop-down-from-the-roof type, but I second the idea of headphones!!!!! Get headphones and you are in driving-with-kids bliss!!!! LOL....

Ours is out-of-bounds at the camp site though, the kids can watch DVD's on the way there and back, just not while we're there!

Too many other things for 'em to do!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 174133

Reply By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:07

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:07
we have two types fitted in two cars
1) Centre roof type, kids do tend to lean to the centre of vehicle (which is not good)
Some screens do not give a clear picture if you are looking at it at an angle (offen a negative look)
2) head rest type is fine if you only have 2 kids as the third is looking at the angle (Cheaper Screen)

Things to note
our kids are great travellers (not car sick) & have travelled up to 1300klms in a singal sitting (other than food & toilet stops) the roof version we have found is less likely to make there freinds motion sick then the head rest version, & our own kids dont watch the head rest version in hilly, bendy conditions as they find it too close & motion feelings start (never been sick)

Make sure what ever type you get have head phones for them so you can still have your CD's at the same time & Have NO DVD times on the trip otherwise they will see nothing

Note none of our dvds skip unless you are on some real bad corrigations
AnswerID: 174168

Reply By: spinningwheels-pj - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:04

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:04
Thanks for the advice and suggestions

looks like I will go for the duel screen jobbies - subject to budget

alternative is the centre screen - between seats.
One concern is all the wires - and plugs - which are pain.

i like the idea of the radio and tv set with a signal through the fm receiver.

So many options - thanks to all - but do not stop with the suggestions .

spinning wheels - PJ
AnswerID: 174314

Sponsored Links