Turbo Overheating

Submitted: Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 17:32
ThreadID: 3416 Views:1645 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have received a number of respsonses about the overheating in my Hilux 3 litre diesel with Safari turbo system.
Today it was suggested that if I control the oil temperature then the motor should not overheat.
This would require an oil cooler mounted under the rear tray with a couple of thermo fans.
Sounds very expensive & again no guarantee of success.
Has anyone gone down this track to try & stop overheating?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 19:21

Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 19:21
Sounds bodgey to me. A patch not the root of the problem! The hoses would be out in the open ready to get ripped out..

No thanks, anwyay Thermos last NO TIME in mud and dust.. search here there was one bloke who got 1 trip out of his.

AnswerID: 13336

Reply By: Bob Y. - Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 21:46

Monday, Feb 17, 2003 at 21:46
Agree with Truckster, that that would be a patch up job, but we had a contractor here with a new model front end loader, that are prone to blowing up front diffs, desilting dams. He hasn't had a ounce of trouble with his, since putting on an oil cooler & fan, but other blokes with same machines have already blown up diffs. Also his diff runs almost cool enough to touch. If same effect on Hilux, you'd be laughing, even if you were broke!
Neighbor had a turbo'd 2.8L, and he never mentioned overheating. We live south of Winton.
We have a factory turbo 80 series, and it never gets above halfway - really cheese you off, eh. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 13352

Reply By: CHRIS - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 07:54

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 07:54
I have a after market 60 Series Diesel Turbo, it is fitted with a oil cooler and it still overheats.
AnswerID: 13380

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:47

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:47
I must admit prior to fitting a turbo, I hadnt heard all these misery stories of overheating!

And it doesnt seem to be one brand/model of car or brand/model of turbo!

This is a worry!

Saw a GQ today Green on Silver,with 2 Scoops in the bonnet.. it did look horn too! Hmmmm..... :-)
FollowupID: 7857

Reply By: jason - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:47

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:47
the problem with some aftermarket turbo's is running the same compretion ratio with the turbo fitted.some vehicles need to run a decompretion plate on the head.also if the oil pump is not working properly this could also lead to overheating.what type of engine oil are you using?use an oil that is specificly for turbo vehicles.also it could be that your motor or turbo is just stuffed.check to see how much blow-by the engine has and pull off the inlet hose to the turbo.if theere is a lot of oil in the inlet pipe she is stuffed.
AnswerID: 13395

Reply By: PeteG - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 21:56

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 21:56
Just to pass on something I found by accident a few years ago.

I had a Falcon and used to tow a large boat. I bought the car new and it was always kept in good nick. When climbing hills the temp gauge would climb to the point of causing concern.

When I replaced the original exhaust system with a stainless one of same diam , I saved a few $'s by leaving out the resonator. After this the temp gauge never moved.

IMHO I think that the whole issue of aftermarket turbo's (by the tales on this site) is one that requires careful thought. In standard form the 'lux will go all day hard without the gauge moving. Extra power = extra heat on a system not designed for by the manufacturer.

In order to save a few $'s you may be better looking at the basics - eg get rid of the heat by improved under bonnet airflow and an exhaust system with reduced restriction. Obviously anything that disperses heat is what is needed and the solution could easily be a combination of a few little things rather than a big and expensive one.

Another trick from an old mechanic was to fit a higher temp thermostat (I know logic initially says colder) but if you compare the hole size between the two you should see the hotter one has a bigger opening and thus will allow more coolant flow.

IMHO be wary about going to more rows of cores in the radiator as modern technology seems to say thinner is better. ( Remember the old (UK) cars with there big thick radiators that used to boil when the sun came out !!!)

Also ask around and don't be afraid to ask for opinions. Listen carefully to what they say and realise that there are some sharks out there who will not be able to match their promises. BTW what has Safari got to say ?.

Regards

Pete G

AnswerID: 13424

Reply By: goodsy - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:16

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:16
Young1 are you still running the original fan? Only had a problem on my DTS turboed hilux when I fitted thermo fans. Get to a hill on a hot day a gauge climbed quickly. Removed thermo fans and put original fan back it problem solved.
AnswerID: 13890

Reply By: Young1 - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:47

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:47
I'm running the original fan, but have had the original silicone replaced with a thicker heavier silicone which did help.
AnswerID: 13897

Sponsored Links