Travel Hints Darwin to Kununara

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 19:35
ThreadID: 34185 Views:2849 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are travelling from Darwin on Thursday 13 July and are due in Kununara at noon on Saturday the 15th. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the most scenic route and attractions for us to view on the way.

Also any suggestions regarding accomodation or camp grounds (as we are in a Toyota L/C 4x4 roof camper) would be most welcome.

Cheers
Kiwi Dave

(ps...sorry about the super 14)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:08

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:08
You will most likely have to stay on the main drag but luckily for you from Katherine to Kununurra is very scenic,especially once you get around the Gregory NP.Just out of Timber Creek on the left(I think its the road to the tip)there is a road up to a lookout,well worth a look.Also just out of Vic river there is a road on the right down to the river(dont think its sign posted) where the old road crossed,nice spot for a break.When your crossing the Vic river take note of the flood level(yep look up in the trees).
Super 14's---whats that!!
AnswerID: 174297

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:15

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:15
Dave ,
Having travelled that route many times I can reccommend two overnightr spots that will get you into Kununurra on Sat.The first is Copperfield Dam which is only 3km of dirt road about 6km south of Pine Creek--there are toilets and you can swim safely in the dam.It is a cheap camp spot and worth the stop.The second isthe Flora River Nature park which is a good gravel road about 86km south of Katherine.It is an excellent camp ground with good toilet and shower facilities and lots to do and see---highly reccomended.Hope this helps and enjoy.
AnswerID: 174319

Reply By: Lyds- Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:32

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:32
Edith Falls is a beautiful spot, with nice facilities.

Anything between Katherine and Kununurra is a bit rough, but the flies like them.

But as mentioned scenery around Gregory NP is great.
AnswerID: 174330

Follow Up By: G&R - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:36

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:36
Ah yes how could I forget that one! I proposed to my darling wife on the banks at Edith Falls! Defintely worth a stop!

Greg
FollowupID: 430389

Reply By: G&R - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:34

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:34
Hi Kiwi Dave. When you get to Adelaide River (on the Katherine side of town), turn right, and take the senic route. This will take you past Robin falls, about 16km from Adelaide River, and you'll end up near the Douglas Daly Hot springs. The road is sealed, except to the falls and springs, and is well worth the drive. I was there 3 weeks ago, and thourghly enjoyed it!. You'll end up back on the Stuart highway near Hays Creek. There are heaps of camp sites, but the Caravan park at Douglas Daly is nice, and has a pool. Personally I'd be very cautious of going near any natural water ways. We had a big wet, and the crocs could be anywhere.

Cheers,

Greg
Katherine NT
AnswerID: 174331

Reply By: Off-track - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 22:56

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 22:56
Agree with the scenic route along the section of the old Stuart Highway from Adelaide River. When traversing this section picture doing it in a Road Train...with another coming towards you! This was the norm until the late 70's. A steep section that was named the Big Dipper would force trucks to slow to walking speed.

If you like old WWII airfields you might like to check out Fenton Airfield not far from Douglas Daly Park. Still has the remains of at least 1 Liberator bomber and the nearby HQ area is quite interesting...especially the old cricket pitch!

Also agree with the little picnic spot just west of Timber Creek near the boat ramp. Might even be lucky enough to spot a croc.

A stay at Victoria River or Timber Creek is plenty ok but I prefer VR. Nice spot for a coldie and a steak. About 30km before Timber Creek there is a turnoff to the left to Bullita Outstation which is a window into the past. Great place to stop for a picnic and a look around and wonder how they did it out here in the old days. If you are familar with Tom Cole and particularly his book 'Hell west and crooked' (fantastic read btw) I believe he spent some time here.

From memory there is a right turn into the Keep River NP (I think but it may actually be not far from Timber Creek??) that goes to a historic site that was where a group of explorers based themselves out of for around a year in the 1800's. Fascinating little spot especially with the well preserved grafitti carved into the tree. We visited once in summer and I could not imagine how they survived!
AnswerID: 174353

Sponsored Links