Turbo Hilux.

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:24
ThreadID: 34191 Views:5920 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, have done a search but with no real answers on the followiing question, I have a 89 Toyota hilux 2.8D d/cab with 284klms on it very well serviced eg oil an filter changed every 3.5k since new as these motors were proned to bearing problem due to sludge build up.Question is, has this motor done too many klms now to put a turbo on, if still worthy of doing would I also need to put in a heavy duty clutch and any other problems that could/would be associated to doing this, or the other option is to wait till the motor dies which I'm presuming will hope fully be another 200k + away and put in a motor 5L turbo from the factory fitted 97 upwards hilux, but really dont want to wait that long. Have also heard of over heating issues with the current 3L with aftermarket turbo's fitted,am not looking at doing 140k down the freeways or open road just some extra get up n go up hills especially now as we have bought the new camper. Have had a quote today from west end diesel at Whetherill Park in Sydneys west known for there expertise in this field and was quoted 3.5k drive in drive out. Does this sound a fair price. Not after cheapness but after quality job and realiability. Any replys appreciated. Reagards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Anthony - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:18

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:18
Hi Steve

I fitted a turbo to a 2.8D ’92 hilux, for the very same reason, to get a bit more power up hills etc to tow a camper trailer (1.4 tonne all up)

I think that if you have the cylinders compression tested and they read within in spec, then there is a good chance that your engine could handle a turbo.

You are right in saying you will need to put in a heavy duty clutch. I found that the overheating occurred mostly towing the camper up hills. I never got my hilux up to 140kph with or without towing but it still did overheat towing on the flat when the outside temp was in the mid to high 30’s.

I would think that unless you have replace or had your radiator core cleaned since ’89, then there is a good chance that you would need to consider servicing/replacing the radiator.

On the price, for me, compression test $300, denco turbo & dyno $3,500, heavy duty clutch $1,400 fitted, injector pump change over $700, heavy duty radiator $600, turbo timer $100 fitted myself.

The turbo sure made a difference. Running 10psi boost, the hilux was great to drive but after 35,000kms of trying to fix the overheating while towing I sold it ($8,500 trade-in) and bought a second hand ’03 Prado TD.

All the best with hilux - cheers A
AnswerID: 174321

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:31

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:31
Hi there Anthony, I think you have just made up my mind for me. I have had it this long with out turbo so think I will just leave it. I dont have any problems with overheating at the moment even with outside temps in there high 30's even low 40's and dont want any either. I did have a brand new radiator put in in feb last year and run the toyota coolant, as said this vehicle is well looked after. I think I will wait and when due will update to the later model with factory turbo as I presume they would have no issuses as they are from the factory like that and have heard of no problems with them. Thanks for your well informed reply. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 430387

Follow Up By: Anthony - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:43

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:43
The factory turbo hilux will do the job no problem. I havn't heard of them overheating. I did look a buying a TD hilux back in 2003 but didn't have the dollars so I went the cheaper option (so I thought) and turboed the 2.8D, which I had since new and was still running well. Cheers A

FollowupID: 430393

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:28

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:28
I turboed our old 4 Runner(1994) for the same reason as you want to,towing a camper.Got the injectors recoed,checked valves,already had a h/d clutch and 2 1/2 exhaust.Fitted a DTS turbo myself and then had vehicle tuned to suit.Final verdict was great to drive MT but with camper foot was still flat to the floor trying to keep momentum up(hilly Tassie).Sold it and got a Cruiser.
Never had o/heating issues but it was in Tassie.
AnswerID: 174326

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:36

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:36
Thanks Nick as said above have made my mind up already and not going to go through with it. I think it will turn out more like 5k and end up with problems, and I will not get a cent more for when time comes to update. Thanks for your info. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 430390

Sponsored Links