Toyota 4 runner diesel info

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:54
ThreadID: 34192 Views:1759 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at purchasing an 87 Toyota 4 runner diesel. Can anyone out there give me some info on any common faults to look for. I am also told the 2.4 diesel is very economical. Is this correct.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:23

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:23
The 2.4 are great on fuel. on par with my 2.8 which is pretty much all the time 10L per 100klms,maybe high 8s on the open road, they are actually a more reliable motor than the 2.8d in the later models,only in relation to oil sludge and bearing problem which is not a main problem if you change the oil every 5k orless without fail. Have a look in trading post etc and see how many advertise the 2.8 with new motor for that exact reason. My mate that comes away with us has just sold his 2.4D 4 runner due to his wife wanting a 4 door because of addition to there family and found the 2 door a pain but his vehicle never failed him at any time. The 2.4 and 2.8 are virtually the same power wise, pulling up hills on the flats etc virtually no differance I did have the edge on him by about 5k but that might have been due to the fact I have extractors he didnt.Just check for rust around fire wall and cracks on the inner guards on passengers side which will show its been off road if so dont worry just needs a plate to be welded on and no further problems, myn has a crack just havnt bothered with it yet and has been there 2 years now.Was common on both these models. I think they are a great vehicle very capable off road. Just dont expect to drag off from the lights and no more than 120/130 flat knackers on the flats with no head wind or running the air con but will sit on 100 k all day no problems but get over to the left on the hills. Dont expect it to have the wheel travel a patrols got especially if it;s ifs front end. Go for it have fun .Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 174324

Follow Up By: loopy111 - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:58

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:58
Thanks Steve

I am also looking at 90 twin cab HiLux 2.8D. It sounds that the 2.8 and the 2.4 have about the same economy. Would that be about right.
FollowupID: 430457

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:06

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:06
Yeah buddy, they do have the same economy, I think the 2.8 s do have a tad more go but would be minimal differance between the 2. As said when my mate and me go away there's about $1 or 2 differance when we refill. If you do go the 2.8 make sure it's had regular oil changes. The 2.4 seems to be a bit more leniant in regards to oil changes but in saying that I think any diesel should be changed at no more than 5k unless it has been set up with oil filtration system of some form but I think you will find that not many hilux's would have been modified in this way.As said neither of them are power houses on the open road but in my opinion they have fantastic low range for off roading. Go for either of them. Have fun take care Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 430471

Reply By: Stiphodon - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:29

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:29
I had an 1988 4runner 2.4D for a couple of years, I just sold ad upgraded to a 1996 rodeo 2.8TD. I thought the fuel economy would be good, but it certainly wasnt great. I got around 11-12L/100km on the open road. I drove it like a grandma, never over about 85km/hr, changed gears at about 2700rpm and even free-wheeled up to red lights etc. The rodeo is getting about 7.8-8.4L/100km driven that same way.

The hilux was well looked after and serviced.I found the motor to be pretty much bullet proof, however dont be fooled, it is very slow and makes my 96 rodeo seem like a porsche. I could rarely get over 90km/hr, unless it was completely flat with no head wind. Also, I regually got blown away by 2.8D Hiluxs, they were streaks ahead. If i had the option between the two, I know I would be choosing the 2.8 without a doubt.
AnswerID: 174404

Follow Up By: loopy111 - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 17:27

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 17:27
Hi Stiphodon

thanks for the response. Interesting about the Rodeo. I have started looking at them also.
Can you give me a little more info about the Rodeo.
I have seen one that I think is around 90 -92 model.
Have they always have a 2.8 litre D.
Do you still have yours and did you have any issues with it.
Should I be looking for any particular problems when looking.
Are they all generally around the 8L per 100km.
thanks again.
FollowupID: 432609

Sponsored Links