VW transporter opinions.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:15
ThreadID: 34210 Views:1934 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I know they are not a 4wd but I was wondering if you gys could give any feedback on one of these. A yard is trying to sell my son one as he is a carpenter but I have advised him to stick to jap built vans.

Thanks in advance !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stiphodon - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:20

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:20
My old man owns one. He has had it since new - a 1996 model with the 5cyl 2.5L petrol engine. He is a timber floor layer and he uses it for carrying big loads of timber. Its done about 250,000km's, looked after well with regular servicing and he swears by it. There a few things that are now starting to need replacing such as cv joints etc, but he highly recomends them and recons it been one of the best vans he has owned. He has had other jap vans like Hiaces, however, the you always have the engine under your seat rattling away, with the VW it is in the nose of the van. Right now he is looking at purchasing a new turbo diesel model, with the all-wheel-drive option
AnswerID: 174461

Reply By: marcus - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:33

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:33
Mine is a '96 model and is very reliable .Is incredibly strong and solid and would be built to last twenty years no problems.Some early electrical problems were sorted out for $110 and has been fine ever since.Parts are marginally dearer but are o.k.I reckon they are a good van and would readily update to VW again.
Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 174488

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:51

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:51
we have one as our work van.
there quite expensive to service.
a pain in the butt to repair.
5th gear is common to just drop out.
ive just finished rebuilding our gearbox(expensive)5th gear fell out(not literally)
and did i mention there expensive to repair and a pain in the butt to work on.
apart from them things there quite a good vehicle.
cheers
AnswerID: 174495

Reply By: F4Phantom - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:05

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:05
my old boss got an ex ambo one to lug work stuff around in. It had done 260k when we got it and I imagine a lot of that was thrashing. It never missed a beat with us (still got it). They are 10 times more maintenance friendly than any jap piece of crap. They are also bigger and i felt like I could drive it all day, the seats are as comfortable as any car i cave driven. Also the VW wins commercial van of the year in europe year after year. I recon compared with hiaces (which i have also spent a lot of time in) the VW is an easy winner. they cost more new tho.
AnswerID: 174521

Follow Up By: F4Phantom - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:10

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:10
BTW our one is auto.
FollowupID: 430610

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:46

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 22:46
We had one at work for several years.
2.5L 5 cyl petrol auto.
It was loaded to the roof every day and driven by young blokes. Parts are not cheap, but these vehicles are built to take it. Was always a pleasure to drive, loaded or unloaded.
Clocked up about 360,000 hard klm when we traded it in, and they gave us stuff all for it on a new one, but it was obviously worked hard.

New one is 2.5L 5cyl intercooled CRD diesel 6 speed triptonic auto.

Power and torque applenty, reasonable fuel consumption considering it's work load. Once again a pleasure to drive, but maintenace must be kept to a strict standard. (my job)

VW says oil & filter every 15,000 klm.
Our mechanic recomends 7,500 klm so that's what I do, simply because if there are any issues caused by lack of servicing, it will show up well after warranty has run out.
AnswerID: 174576

Sponsored Links