Solar panel insurance!!!!

Submitted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 15:45
ThreadID: 34212 Views:3035 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i have 2 x 80watt panels, 20 metres of cable and regulator, and no-one will insure the panels because they are not mounted to the trailer. I prefer to have them free standing so i can move them anywhere. I have tried my car, house and caravan insurance companies and not one of them would have a bar of me, so i need help! Can anyone give me any ideas where i can insure these damn things. At nearly $2000 i don't want to take the risk of them being pinched.
cheers,
Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RosscoH - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:13

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:13
Hi Lance, Have exactly the same set up and just lifted the value of the contents insurance on the camper trailer, same as house contents. Also went to the local boating and chandlery shop and got 2 x10 metre stainless steel cables made up with an eye on each end, Padlock one end to the solar panels and put the other end thruogh the handles on the Engel and padlock it to the chassis of the camper, No ones getting my stuff easy. The cables only cost about $25.00 each.

Cheers Rossco.
AnswerID: 174471

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:36

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:36
Great idea Rossco, but how and where did u padlock the steel cables to the solar panels.
cheers,
Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 430581

Follow Up By: RosscoH - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:57

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 19:57
Hi Lance, My solar panels had plenty of room in the Aluminium frame to drill a hole and put the padlock through the eye on the end of the cable and through the hole drilled in the frame.

Cheera Rossco.
FollowupID: 430622

Reply By: Skinny- Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:30

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:30
NRMA Caravan or Trailer Insurance covers your caravan or trailer for accidental damage, theft, hail, flood or storm damage and vandalism or malicious act. It includes $20 million liability cover (inclusive of GST) for damage your caravan or trailer causes to someone else's property. We cover your contents for up to $1,000 in total (inclusive of GST). You can increase your contents cover by nominating a higher contents sum insured and paying an additional premium. You can also increase your cover to include your annexe by paying an additional premium.

I am countin gon my policy....ooops counting on an insurer? next I will be voting Howard back in while he still has two hands in my pockets.

Skinny
AnswerID: 174474

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:42

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:42
Try Allianz , insured our c/t for agreed value on and off road ,full cover fire/theft ect, with an additional contents cover for solar panels ,regulator, cables, Engle ,Waeco ,generator ,coleman hot water system ,AGM batteries ,cooking gear ect ect ,,,all up premium $326 for $28k cover... dont know if that is good value or not as we did not try anyone else ,,have all our other insured with same and never a problem with any claims ,so decided to stick with same.
AnswerID: 174476

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:56

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 16:56
Allianz wanted $800+ for $10k on my camper... I don't understand bloody insurance companies...
FollowupID: 430585

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:17

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:17
Blue ,I dont claim to understand them either ,,just stating what our c/t insurance is ,we wanted to ensure that if anything did/does happen that we are covered ,,all the little and not so little soon add up to some serious $$ ,,going to be interesting to see what my premiums go up to when I add the boat loader and boat + motor +folding boat trailer and safety gear ect.
FollowupID: 430586

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:29

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 17:29
I just wish they were consistent... My 4by is with Allianz and so they were the first ones I called... Also the most expensive. Ended up with RACV, cheapest and let me itemise heaps of stuff on agreed value.
FollowupID: 430590

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 18:39

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 18:39
Sounds like you are better to cover the risk yourself. Insurance Co's are there to make obscene profits and you have to fight them to get your money when you claim (I'm a cynic i know, but an educated cynic). Put the premium aside in a high interest account, and unless they get nicked in the first year or two, you are sure to be in front.

A few years ago we travelled with a portable solar panel connected to the regulator fitted inside the wind-up caravan. Being canvas and zips, the van could have easily been burgled, so we didn't keep our life savings in it. I never considered someone might take a solar panel. I think it depends on where you go. Regular outback tourist spots seem to be safe - after all it is just you, me and other similar travellers. I know some places are notorious for local vandals, but don't have any first hand knowledge of these.

I would trust to luck, go to places that a relatively safe, or stay where you have neighbours, if leaving them out unattended for long periods.

A few years ago we were tenting or camping off the back of the Ute, if we went to a caravan park, we would ask to go with the "oldies". Not only because they were lovely, interesting people and nice quiet neighbours, but if they were wintering north, they were often there all day and could keep an eye on our Engel etc. while we went touring or fishing. When we camped in the bush, we were out there on our own anyway so felt quite secure.

Put your money in the bank instead
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 174513

Reply By: Austravel - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 20:25

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 20:25
Hi,

We are off on a 6mth trip starting this Friday. Did the ring around for insurance as well as checking on a few forums. Damn hard to get insurance for open air theft. However we found CCL ( I think) do a web search, for around $250 they will insure up to $10k with very few limitations, no dramas in open air or with theft from a canvas camper trailer. Plus the limits were very fair, $3k for a laptop and will also cover sat and mobile phones, not many insurance co will.

Don't forget the important part which most forget or deem unnecessary is the public liabilty cover you get. If you don't have top cover for your contents at home which should cover you for 60-90 days away from home you won't be covered. Meaning if for some reason someone hurts themselves because of your gear at you will be liable unless you have cover. OK there's minimal chance but depends on what you believe your willing to risk for a couple of hundred dollars a year.
AnswerID: 174537

Follow Up By: Muddies Doe(Trippn) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 21:25

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 21:25
Hey Aus

Keep us posted when you can on how things are travelling.....OK!
Have fun the 2 of you and enjoy!!!

Cya
Judy
:)

FollowupID: 430644

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:03

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:03
Thanks Judy,

Will do, hope to at least send a couple of reports to a wide group, have put your email on the list. Damn it's getting close now.
FollowupID: 430696

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 21:09

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 21:09
Lance,

Read between the lines.

Your gear is covered by your household insurance whilst at home.

In my opinion your gear will only ever be stolen from your garage. That is the way of suburban grubs as opposed to bush folk. That's just the way I see it and feel comfortable about my insurance.
AnswerID: 174548

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 14:26

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 14:26
That's a good point Jim - the only flaw or weak link is that (mine, anyway) home insurance will probably carry a $500 excess and the caravan one just $100. So you're not really getting much back on your panel, if anything by the time they've dropped your no claims bonus.
FollowupID: 430982

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 23:48

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 23:48
The TCIS insurance mob that the 4wd associations recommend cover gear loose at camp - but you have to be a 4wd club/association member to get the insurance deal.

Dave
AnswerID: 174586

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:27

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:27
Thanks guys for the advice, just got off the phone from RACV, and they would cover the solar panels and trailer and an extra 3k in contents for $302.
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 174897

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:31

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:31
p.s. that was an extra $34 then what i have it insured for now, without covering the panels.
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 430968

Sponsored Links