Recovery points, GU Patrol

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 06:37
ThreadID: 34235 Views:2560 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Should be picking up the new beast on Wednesday, so here start some of the questions.
Will be a 3.0L with Nissan steel bull bar, no winch (yet). Just wondering if front recovery points are needed, and what options are available. Would like some form of hook rather than an eyelet, so as to minimise heavy metal (IE: Shackles) if using a strap.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madcow - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:23

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:23
There should be a hook on the drivers side where the bar is fixed to the chassis rail. As for the rear it is generally accepted if the strap is inserted into the tow hitch. This is a given and not a recommendation and you will get quite a few replies as it has been well documented on this and other sites.

Best wishes for the new toy
AnswerID: 174597

Reply By: Member - Dedalus (SA) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:24

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 07:24
Hi, I will install them just in case .... dome mine for $30 - each ... the best accessories I ever put om my 80 series!
Ciao

Luca
AnswerID: 174598

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:09

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:09
I have a current 4.2 GU and the same steel bar you are talking about.. it has a steel hook fitted already (exactly the same as the aftermarket versio from ARB) the only improvment I could see was perhaps the additiomn of a second one on the other Shasis rail in case that one is under mud etc... As for rear, as mentioned above.. it probably comes standard with factory tow bar, fitting a winch or snatch strap to the pin inside your towbar is the generally accepted method for rearwards recover.. ( I haven;t had the displeasure of having to use eaither as yet) but did use the same points on my 99 GU.
FollowupID: 430697

Follow Up By: Hacksaw - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:17

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:17
Rear recovery is fine. Tow bar will be fitted and I already have one of those fancy solid metal hitches with a shackle attached (Came in handy with the X-trail!). Just a bit concerned about the off centre pull on the single front hook. Thinking maybe a hook on either side so as to be able to equalise the load across them or I'd hate to be digging just to be able to get to my one and only front hook, like mentioned above.
FollowupID: 430699

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:48

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:48
I have used both. The hook on the front is fine unless you are snatching a truck at full noise.
A little side ways movement yes, but no biggie.

There are two eyelets on the chassis at the front if things get serious.

Just remember, that loop at the back under doors is for towing only..........
NOT SNATCHING OR WINCHING

You have the proper utensil for snatching from the tow hitch so you will be fine.
AnswerID: 174798

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 06:56

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 06:56
"There are two eyelets on the chassis at the front if things get serious."

These are tie down points and should not be used for recovery.
FollowupID: 430891

Sponsored Links