CREB Track opening?

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 09:13
ThreadID: 34241 Views:1848 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Anyone in nth Qld know when the CREB track might open this season? I have lived here most of my life and never driven it. I was hoping to try at the end of June/early July. I know it has been raining non stop since March....but it did stop yesterday (finally) so if the fine weather continues will it dry out in a month or so?.

Also, is it viable to drive to Cooktown via the CREB track in a day (from Atherton Tablelands). We will be travelling with two vehicles and have recovery gear.

Thanks for any info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stiphodon - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 12:44

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 12:44
It will be at least a month until the track opens, probably longer considering the area is likely to get more rain.

I did the track last year. Travelled from Cairns to cooktown in a day. You should have no probs from the Tablelands. However, consider leaving at 5am or earlier as it is a very big drive. If you leave at this time and the road isnt too bad you will make cooktown around dark with a few short breaks on the way.
AnswerID: 174674

Follow Up By: tdv - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 13:43

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 13:43
Thanks

I spoke to Wet tropics this morning and they have said it is unlikely to be open for some time yet. It may be a month until they get to do an inspection, then they will get parts of the track fixed (Ergon Energy responsibility).

Might just have to do Bloomfield Road this time and wait until September for CREB track.

FollowupID: 430723

Follow Up By: Stiphodon - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:21

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 14:21
You can still do part of the track from the Bloomfield side, up as far as Chinamans camp (I think that is what it's called). You wouldnt bother doing it just for the sake of it, however, about 10-20kms into the track from the Bloomfield side is roaring meg falls which is well worth a look. Last year we also went up when it was closed, and camped one night at roaring meg, then continued to cooktown
FollowupID: 430729

Sponsored Links