Freeby Camp sites Exmouth/Coral Bay

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 00:40
ThreadID: 3425 Views:19849 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does enyone know of freeby camp sites from Coral Bay to Exmouth? I am self sufficent with campertrailer and Land cruiser. Heading up Easter/Anzac Week. Coral Bay neary full @ $140/ week. Prefer free spots but would like to know were to head to as only 10 days off including 2 days drive there & back.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:58

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:58
Good Luck.
I have a reservation at Peoples Village for an unpowered site (all that was available) that I will be cancelling Wednesday.
No dramas with Exmouth from what we've found to date.
Been to Coral Bay at Easter before and decided against doing it again.
AnswerID: 13378

Reply By: brian - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 03:13

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 03:13
hi rox a great camp site north of coral bay is a place called the nine mile camp. from the minilya exmouth road travel approx 5 klm toward c/bay a track signposted 4wd only(not the cardabia stn road) coast rd. travel approx 19klms . as you go over a bit of a ridgeline to the left is a track and gate this is brubeqeier bay/nine mile camp. MUST TAKE EVERYTHING have a good time can follow track thru to exmouth
AnswerID: 13379

Reply By: bruce.h - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 14:58

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 14:58
GDAY ROX
Ranger camping stock 2 books on free camp sites in wa 1 for the northwest & 1 for the southwest both are well worth grabing as they tell you ware &whats availbe at each site
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 13391

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:50

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 20:50
Both of these books are available from ExplorOz.com also. Please always remember that this great resource does cost someone money to run - ME. If you can try to purchase your products from us and this will in turn help us to keep the system running. Coupled with membership these are a main sources of small income. Have a look in the shop we are adding new title all the time.

BTW: The WA North and South camping books are from Priceless Publishing and are in our Camping Guides section.

David
FollowupID: 7873

Follow Up By: Bruce.H - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 15:28

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 15:28
opps sorry david must have been bit brain dead never even give it a thuoght definatly should support exploroz
FollowupID: 7902

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:43

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 15:43
Hi Rox,

There are quite a lot of excellent campsites from Coral Bay to Exmouth. South of Yardie Creek, the track (fairly easy going) runs parallel with the dunes and there are a number of tracks leading off towards the beach. Some are just beach access tracks, others lead to campsite of varying size. Not much shade to be had so take a tarp or the like. Between Yardie Creek and Exmouth is Cape Range NP which also has camping.

Also, check out the trek notes on this site for the Yardie Creek Run. Good info there on track conditions, attractions etc.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 13394

Reply By: Wayne - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 19:25

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003 at 19:25
Rox

I lived in Exmouth for three years and often camped along the coast between Coral Bay and Exmouth. I always found the area to the south of Ningaloo Homestead less attractive than to the north.

You can follow the coast from Coral Bay north and once you get past Ningaloo Homestead (or go and ask if you can go up to the lighthouse ruins nearby) and sheep yards, you follow the track north. Its a fair distance from the sea at this stage. You'll see big sand dunes that are impassable in anything but a tracked vehicle. There are a couple of gates to go through and then you should see a sign for Lefroy Bay. There is OK camping here, but I preferred to head west at Lefroy until you come to another gate. Go through this gate and immediately turn south, following the fence line. This track does go all the way back to the main track, but there is a sign saying No Entry (or some such thing). At this point if you head west again you'll eventually come out at a section of beach that is literally a stones throw from the reef. GREAT camping here. If you're adventurous and can find a way over the sand dunes here to the south, you'll pick up the track that goes to the old Norwegien Bay whaling station. (Heed the signs there as there is a lot of blue asbestos fibres around, but worth a look from the distance even.) I havent been there for a few years, so not sure if the tanks are still standing, but there was a lot of other old machinery etc around.

If you wish to travel further north, then Winderabandie Point is also really good. The track out the point is often REALLY soft, so you'll need to check that out before taking the camper out there. Best thing here is you can camp on either side and be in the lee of the wind.

North of Winderabandie (through another gate) and there are a couple of deviations to the coast. Most are OK, but again the best one is about 17kms from the Winderabandie turnoff.

Further north you come to the National Park sign and about 1 1/2 kms north the track goes out to a natural rock groyne. This is protected from the North East winds.

About 1km south of Yardie Creek (4kms north of rock groyne) is a camping spot with pit toilets.

Just make sure that Yardie Creek is passable and that you have a national park pass if you are going to stop anywhere in the park. (We used to go straight through and you didnt need a pass - we even took the dog as the road is a public road)

In the park there is also camping but fees apply.

All these areas are popular, but the track out from Lefroy isnt so well used (or known until now!)

Have a good time and take a fishing rod, you can catch northwest snapper off the beaches.
AnswerID: 13411

Follow Up By: Coops - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 17:15

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 17:15
excellent info Wayne.
I'll be down there having a look again soon armed with all that - cheers
FollowupID: 8233

Sponsored Links