For those bright sparks out there.....

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 16:21
ThreadID: 34255 Views:2829 Replies:8 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Ok Guys & Ladies of course.....

Who has the solution to lights for reversing, and lots of it for that dangerous backwards gear????????????

Is there a legal limit as to how much light you can throw out the back when you select that dreaded reverse gear or are we limited to what the vehicle was designed with.

I notice a lot of US RV's have small spotlights but do wonder as to their legality.

Anyone using LED's and for the expense do they throw plenty of light in a useful spread? I am well aware that they are bright, having LED's for stop & tail, but wonder about the white variety.
They are not cheap at $90 each for 100mm job so before I spend the readies, I throw myself upon your knowledgable input.

Ciao for now and thanks to all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:17

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:17
I have a GU Patrol with just the one Reversing light which is really about as usefull as a hip pocket in a singlet.
Put one of those cheap 50watt small spotties from Super Cheap under the rear step and wired into the reversing light and I now have ample light in reverse.
It only operates in reverse and has not blown any fuses in 12 months.
Legal I think so but bugger it I need the light.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 174722

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:30

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:30
Thanks for that dodger.

I'm with you on this regarding light output as the normal jobs are pretty much useless.

Did you wire the light via a solenoid or off the direct reverse light feed???

Thanks for the input.
FollowupID: 430759

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:43

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:43
Direct off the reversing light and have had no probs.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 430760

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:49

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 17:49
Cool!!!

Job for Sunday morn...

Ciao
FollowupID: 430761

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:14

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:14
I wouldn't worry about the legalities but if you're going to use a lamp which _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx another 4 or 5 amps of current I would suggest using a relay - they are cheap and may save you a new reversing switch in a year or two.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 430767

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:04

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:04
Dodger, as Mike said a switch is a good idea... I believe it's also a legal requirement as I was pulled over buy a cop a few years back after reversing out of a bay at Coles... Wanted to know why I had a spotty on for reversing. He said it required a switch to be legal so I put one in. As we all know, some cops are less than up to speed with actual requirements but will cost little to incorporate.
FollowupID: 430797

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:18

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 23:18
Cops these days wouldn't know what a reversing light looks like....

I got busted with one a few years ago and was told to remove it there and then on the side of the road.

If coppers are going to get on my back about a reversing light then how about getting onto all those meat heads out there with spotlights on roof racks and roll bars !!!!
FollowupID: 430858

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 14:08

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 14:08
Have had the same on my patrol straight off the reversing circuit for 5 years and still works a treat.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 431125

Reply By: V8Diesel - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:05

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:05
I use a Hella twin 55W bulb, spread beam work light on a telescopic extension. It's brilliant! ;-) I bought the unit from Coventrys for $98.

Hope this shed some light on the subject for you.
AnswerID: 174729

Reply By: Member - John L G - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:37

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 18:37
Mike @ V8

Probably worth the relay as I have a couple kicking around in the spares box so perhaps time to give the crimping tool a work out and a scratch of the head to work it out again.

The twin 55w on the pole tho might attract a bit of unwanted from Constable Plod methinks. I was going to wire one of those up as a movable camp work/light arrangement and been eyeing those Hellas off for a while.

I think tho for the reversing, those small el-cheapo spotties with low watts will fit nicely inside the canopy recess bar across the back where other bits go, so will probably opt for that.

Thanks for the info
AnswerID: 174732

Follow Up By: Marn - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:00

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:00
You could always put it on a seperate dash mounted switch that you could turn on on those dark occasions. This way it can also be used as a worklight.
FollowupID: 430780

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:07

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:07
Marn
Point taken!!!!
I would probably mount the work light high enough tho so that it could be rotated and pointed at whatever took your fancy. For convenience tho I would probably have the switch either on the worklight, or isolated inside the canopy or cab as you suggest.

Ciao
FollowupID: 430783

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:33

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:33
I have mine switchable from the cab from an illuminated Cole-Hersee (not a battery isolator) heavy duty dash mount that fits neatly into the standard switch blanks. All looks very factory.

Mine telescopes and swivels up to 3m, so when I have the Kaymar swung open it doubles as the general camp / cooking light. It is a home made one spray painted satin black and looks like a bought one. I ran a curly cable off an old spotlight down the centre so the wiring is concealed.

It has copped a hammering over heaps of dirt, never misses a beat and the Ol' Bill can go wee up a rope IMHO.
FollowupID: 430802

Reply By: 100TD - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:51

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 19:51
john,i mounted 2 small lightforce spottys($19 each)under rear bar pointing down via a relay on my 100 series to illuminate behind me when reversing and find this more than adequate to see on darkest of nights.i personally wouldnt connect straight to rev switch as u will eventually burn it out (1 day,week,year,10 years?????)cheers Paul
AnswerID: 174741

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:07

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 20:07
Independant switch on the dash so the light can also be used as a dust lamp in dusty conditions.
AnswerID: 174743

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 21:00

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 21:00
I have 2 agricultural-type wide spread lights on the back of the roof rack. They are connected to a 2 way (ON-ON) switch. In one switch position they are off, but come on when I select reverse gear. In the other "ON" position, they are on regardless of anything else. When they are on there is a flashing green LED beside the switch to remind me they are on. They are great for when I'm setting up the camper at 10pm and also for closing farm/station gates after you've passed through etc. Of course I would NEVER use them to stir up a mongrel coming up behind me on high beam!!!!! ;-))) Coupled with the reversing camera (also mounted on the roof rack) I can see as clearly behind me at night as I can during the day. Great stuff.
Cheers
Roachie
PS: Use a relay!!!
AnswerID: 174765

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 01:40

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 01:40
Bill,

Isn't your Poron camera an infared jobbie?
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 430878

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 08:39

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 08:39
G'day mate,
Yes the Poron is an infrared, but at night the field of vision is limited to about 6 feet around the back of the vehicle and is fairly dull/black & white. When the rear lights are turned on, it's like daytime!
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 430907

Reply By: Gu_Patrol - Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 21:09

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 21:09
Yes like Roachie said Use a Relay.
AnswerID: 174767

Reply By: Member - John L G - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:40

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:40
Thanks all,

Invaluable input. It seems we all skin the proverbial cat, excepting Willem of course, in different ways with obviously successful outcomes.

So this weekend seems set armed with drill, soldering iron and crimpers.

Might end up with lights like nightime footy by the time I finish.

Ciao John G
AnswerID: 174861

Follow Up By: Jugs - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 11:25

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 11:25
John

I worked on my mates rear pole camp light the other day. Took a little to work out the wiring but it was a simple and good idea. It was set up with a switch in the cab on the dash “ON/ OFF” and also had a switch on the pole “ON / OFF” so you could independently switch the work light on from the cab or at the light. Very simple circuit once I figured out what they were up to.

The previous owner had run a twin flex wire from under the dash, were the dash mounted switch was, The first wire on the flex (A) was run through the Dash switch connected to 2nd battery (fused), The second wire on the twin flex (B) was connected straight + un-switched side of the dash switch (giving one switch and one un-switched +). At the light end of the flex the “A” wire was connected to the + side of the light the “B” wire was run through the local rear switch then to the + side of the light. The – Neg side of the light was wired back to the body for local earth.
If I was going to do it I’d choose 3 core flex and run the earth back to the battery or to the heavy duty power to a rear trailer plug to the Neg - there.
it would be easy to incorporate a relay off the reverse switch to the switched + to add the reverse option.
As you say lots of ways to get that cat fur, but I liked the extera local rear switch and it only took one cable run.

have fun with the crimps

Jugs
FollowupID: 430946

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:48

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:48
Jugs

It would seem that I have now answers to not only reversing the beast but the work light as you describe.

The ability to switch on-off at the light as well as the cab has a fair amount of appeal as it's a pain in the neck to be going back to the cab whenever you want to switch a work light on yet also convenient to have when you are about to put your foot down in some unknown terrirtory.

There was a post here a while back with a circuit for a two way circuit which I thought I had saved, but as usual seems to have disappeared inside the confines of the Puter.

Roachies idea would also be the go where you make it reversing selectable from the dash so perhaps a three way can be accomplished.

Then I will need to work out I suppose wether this will be dependant on power from the Acc/Ign side of things or the house power when camped.

Decisions....Decisions...Decisions.....

But it all will become clear I am sure when I attack the job.

Thanks for the info
FollowupID: 430960

Follow Up By: Jugs - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 14:43

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 14:43
John

Hope my verbal description of the circ. is ok, happy to do a digram if you want. Let me know if you want it. I liked the sound of Raoches addition as well. My mate went of the 2nd batt incase he flattened it during camp set up, starting would still be ok

Jugs
FollowupID: 430990

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 15:11

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 15:11
Jugs,

Will give it a go this we and see how I go.

If I get in triouible will get back Monday.

Ciao JG
FollowupID: 430993

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 17:40

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 17:40
I think the system Jugs described is the same way that light switches might be wired-up at home.....you know, where you have a switch on either side of a room that can turn the same light on or off?
FollowupID: 431025

Follow Up By: Jugs - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 18:22

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 18:22
Roachie

I think the home switches are a little different, you can turn on / off from the oppsite switch. The circ I described you have to turn off from the same switch you turned on.
FollowupID: 431030

Follow Up By: Member - John L G - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 18:29

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 18:29
Roachie

I suppose the more you think about it the simpler it all seems to become.

Being DC should make it easy.

Forgetting the earth - as that simply requires a chassis lead, we can probably get power to the light from several sources - that is of course if the trailer fairy doesn't rear its ugly head. Had the odd wiring conundrum where the power from one source tracks down one of the other input wires and causes all sorts of interesting pyrotechnic effects.
As we all know, trailer wiring can keep you entertained for hours.

Think I might try a combination of the Jugs-Roach technology here and see what the WE brings.

As for the WE - Have a good one.

FollowupID: 431032

Follow Up By: Jugs - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 20:56

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 20:56
Look forward to hearing the upshot

Fun Fun Fun

Jugs
FollowupID: 431050

Sponsored Links