Daihatsu Rocky

Submitted: Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:05
ThreadID: 34270 Views:3275 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi one and all got a dooza for yous and dont rag me to much about the rocky cause it aint mine just a mates . The Daihatsu Rocky 2.8 deisel engine is buggerd and the price of another is just not practical as it is just a runabout would anyone know whether a 2.8 petrol would bolt straight in or is there a fair bit of buggerising around to get it in it is a 1988 modle and still not to bad for its age. cheers for all the replies that I hope I will get and just one thing that I got off the news in WA tonight there is a few shires over here that are going to trial 30 Ks an hour past schools and 40Ks an hour on the streets , it will be faster to walk down the shops than drive . Cheers Roughneck
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:25

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 00:25
Jeepers, we're in 3rd gear already to crawl through the towns!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174804

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 03:34

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 03:34
I'm not real sure but try a Hilux motor, Daihatsu Rocky was like a test bench for the Hilux and the motors were close to identical, I had a 1993 model and it had some Toyota Electical parts on it
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174814

Reply By: Member - John R (NSW) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 05:22

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 05:22
Roughneck,
The 3Y and variants thereof will definitely fit. Not sure about matching up to the gearbox though. Among others, the 3Y was fitted to the Hi-Ace of that vintage also. The diesel is the same as was fitted to the Daihatsu Delta trucks (non-turbo), so you might find a second hand one around.
AnswerID: 174819

Reply By: wheeleybin - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 08:18

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 08:18
Hi Roughy
There is a Rocky with a 2L petrol sitting at the Smiths Lake turnoff in NSW for sale for $2800.
It is in good nick so why stuff around with motors and the like when the whole car is available at a reasonable price.

Wheeleybin
AnswerID: 174828

Follow Up By: Roughneck - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 08:49

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 08:49
Thanks to MotherHen DougT JohnR and WheeleyBin for their help (replies) I think money could be a problem he is only a young bloke and trying to buy a house so is trying to get out as cheep as possible . Quite interesting about the Hilux motor though might be an option . Thanks for the replies again and thanks for this site , keeps me out of the misses hair for a few hours each day ,quite entertaining cheers for now Roughneck
FollowupID: 430909

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 09:27

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 09:27
Hi Roughneck... Went through this process when I blew the motor in my old 2.8 Rocky, shortly after I blew the box, shortly after I'd blown the transfer... The Yota exchange was brought up then but apparently the bellhousing doesn't match. The bellhousing in my Rocky was cast as part of the main body of the box. One strange thing I found while searching for a motor was that the turbo motors were cheaper but had a different b/housing so I couldn't just bolt one in. Even the motors in the Feroza were different...???
AnswerID: 174837

Sponsored Links