Clutch fan

Submitted: Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:33
ThreadID: 34280 Views:2467 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, can anbody please tell me wether I can refill my fluid coupling on my hilux 2.8D with the fluid required and if so how much do I need to buy. Have rang toyota they dont know and there is nothing in my gregorys manual telling me any thing about it. Have priced a new one and they are $320 my price which is cost from toyota. Rang a couple of other spare part shops and they are half the price but was told by two of them to go genuine as they have had troulble with vibrations on the after market ones and holes incorrect for fitment etc. Dont really want to pay $300 plus if I can just refill with the correct fluid which is available from toyota for $ 8 per tube . Any help appreciated. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:50

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:50
Yes you can refill fill with the silicone fluid but why has the original fluid escaped ? I have only looked inside of one model and it had a very small wiper seal (pad) that had become hard with age and was not doing its job. My caution is that just refilling the oil may not fix the problem.
AnswerID: 174864

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 15:32

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 15:32
Hi there Kiwi Kia refer to my answer below (J100), have been told there is actually an O ring in my'n and a bastard to try and get back is but is achievable with patience. Maybe the fluid has escaped bit by bit over time. Noticed today mine is actually locked as described in reply to (J100). Thanks for the reply. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 430997

Reply By: j100 - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:02

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:02
StephenM
THe part number you want is as follows
The manual says to use 50mL of 3000Cst. silicone fluid to refill the fan
clutch. Each bottle is 18mL. Toyota P/N 08816-03001

Regards
AnswerID: 174892

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 15:27

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 15:27
Thanks for that j100, I noticed to day that when I started it I lifted the bonnet straight away and reved to about to about 2k and noticed that the fan is not cutting out there fore it must actually be in the locked position, I can still turn the fan when engine is not running (which I realize you can do under normal circumstances). When I left work turned all the usual crap off radio etc and listened and could here the fan the whole time which means even at higher speed the fan is not cutting out, I can hear my mates on his when ever he leaves my place or were out I can hear his cut/fade out halfway down the street. Now for my next question, with the fan locked yeah great its pulling the air through, but would also be loading the motor up when the fan is not required to cool, would there be another issue with the fluid coupling or by replacing the fluid would that possibly fix the problem. Its about $8 per 18ml so will obviously need 3 to refill which is $24 so do you think I should try that first and see how it goes or bite the bullet and get a brand new one.Dont want to sound like a tight arse but at $335.20c for a new one just wondering wether to put the $24 towards the new one straight up or take the gamble and get the fluid, just concerned now into regards that it is locked on when motor running but able to turn when motor off if any of this makes sense to you.??? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 430995

Sponsored Links