Seform 8 touch screen

Submitted: Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:06
ThreadID: 34291 Views:2041 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Am interested if anyone alse apart from Mal P is using the Seform 8" touch screen in conjunction with their laptop for navigation.
I am seeking some more feedback before I decide whether to purchse or not.
Cheers, EricM WA.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rokkitt - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:24

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 13:24
Eric,

I am also using the Seform LCD touchscreen - 7", I think it is one of the only ones developed specifically for in car use (There I go thinking again) - unless the Xenarc screens are, the Xenarcs are very expensive though.

Who is supplying them in australia?

Regards
Rod
AnswerID: 174896

Reply By: allblack55 - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 22:30

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 22:30
Hi Eric,

I have a Seform 8'' LCD confiqured as touch screen mounted in a 2002 RV Prado for nav. W.P and currently considering just which camera I shall incorporate for reversing vision use, what would you like to know about the Seform?

regards, Leigh
sunelec@netcon.net.au
AnswerID: 175011

Follow Up By: Eric M - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:49

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:49
Hi leigh, Just need a bit more feedback on their performance, interaction with laptop and GPS, sturdiness in relation to corrugations and the like. visibility of display whilst driving, contrast, the display of mapping. Touch screen easy to use?
Cheers, EricM
FollowupID: 431074

Reply By: allblack55 - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 09:37

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 09:37
Hi Eric M,

I would have preferred a Xenarc as they are a superior product in brightness, user facilities and construction (only weak point I could find was the unusual multi pin connector). The major obstacles in my case were the cost (in excess of $1000.00 for an 8.4 inch) and the Australian distributors were very casual in their performance, my enquiries were met with a large degree of unhelpfullness.

The Seform is like any of the Asian built units I checked out, basically adequate for the job! It includes one VGA input and two composite video jacks, poor documetation supplied in book form but the software has much more detailed instructions that you can print off. The mount kit supplied is woefully inadequate
for rough terrain and you will need to make your own arrangements if you want a stable mounting, fortunately the housing lends itself to adding extra mounts without drilling holes etc.

The touch screen works fine but I feel is too small for some purposes although a pen/pointer is supplied and is ok I prefer to use an optical mouse at times, I haven`t seen a screen yet that doesn`t pale a little in direct sunlight and the Seform is no exception but still useable, certainly equal to the Laptop and there is quite a degree of brightness and contrast adjustment. I have mine centrally mounted so that it can be oriented to favour either navigator or driver although I think the driver should be concentrating on his/hermain job and leave the screen to others.

Interaction with your Laptop is primarily a function of the software you choose, I have Ozi on an old P2 Compaq with win98 and also on a current compaq with Xp and both work fine.

I chose to buy from a local distributor rather than import direct, while there are lots of happy people who have purchased direct and saved money there are some sad stories also. Whichever way you go be very carfeful as to the warranty/replacement conditions that apply.

I spent a long time making the above decisions, far too drawn out to elaborate further on this forum, if you want all the gory details Eric hit me direct.(same offer to anyone who wants a lengthy discussion on screens)

Good luck,

Leigh (sunelec@netcon.net.au)
AnswerID: 175050

Reply By: Mal P - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 16:38

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 16:38
Eric,

Have taken a few photos of the installation. If you send me your email adddress I will forward them on to you. Installation going great so far. Have added UBD maps of all capital cities. Only $60 and works with Ozzie Explorer.
AnswerID: 175926

Follow Up By: Eric M - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 18:56

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 18:56
Thanks Mal, appreciate that. ejmorey@bigpond.net.au
Cheers,
Eric
FollowupID: 432016

Sponsored Links