Bigger petrol tank for GU on dual fuel

Submitted: Friday, May 26, 2006 at 22:38
ThreadID: 34308 Views:2380 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Yes I have checked the archives and gained lots of info but I am interested in any updated ideas.

I have a GU Patrol on dual fuel. The main tank has been replaced with a 95Lt LPG tank leaving me with just the 40 Lt (seems to be more like 35) sub tank for petrol.

This is economical around the city but I am now starting to plan some remote touring where gas will not be available, severely limiting my range. In such situations I tend to run where I can on petrol, replenishing wherever possible and keeping the gas (which cannot be replaced) in reserve for when the petrol runs out but even with a couple of jerries I can't get the range needed for serious trips.

The price of a long range sub tank at $1000 or there abouts (been a while since I checked so may have changed) has always seemed expensive for what is really the equivalent of a couple of jerries (and it really is only needed for a few isolated instances) but I think I am now ready to bite the bullet and spend the bucks (where I want to go I will probably still need jerries as well as the long range sub tank).

My question is whether I am best just going with a regular long range sub tank which I think is 75 - 80 Lts (depending upon brand) or is there another option to have a third tank manufactured, possibly situated outside the chassis rails?

I have no idea what such a tank may cost and how the fuel transfer would be arranged etc. To take it one step further, could the weight be evenned up by putting a similar tank on the other side of the vehicle for water.

Has anyone looked at this? Am I kidding myself and the cost would be prohibitive? My thinking is that if I am faced with spending $1000 for an extra 40 Ltrs, can I gain significantly more by spending a few extra bucks?

Another thought I had was having the gas tank swapped back to petrol (possibly even a bigger than normal tank?) just for the big trip and then swap back again after. Sounds silly but I have never been afraid to think outside the square. I suspect the gas conversion people would have tanks available that they have removed that they may want to do a deal on to swap back short term?

Any views or ideas would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jugs - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:16

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:16
Trevor

Found this http://www.lpgaustralia.com.au/associations/4076/files/INFOSheetIS0406%2Epdf ite it mentions safty for multiple LPG tanks QED could you fit extra LPG tanks ???
(can't get the link to work tonight)
Jugs
AnswerID: 175018

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:28

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 23:28
thanks Jugs

Haven't actually checked your link but in order to get tanks that I can replenish when in remote locations I need to increase petrol storage rather than gas. The whole issue is that gas cannot be replenished once I am out in the sticks so it doesn't add much to increase the volume of gas tanks. They would add some range but the issue is that they can't be refilled so becomes useless once empty.

Cheers
Trevor
FollowupID: 431072

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 07:47

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 07:47
Trevor,

Sounds like you need to go back to your original petrol tank, and look at the info Jugs has provided for gas tanks in other locations.. (your original question of where can you add additional fuel is good, but I suspect there isn't anything out there..)

Not trying to compare Toyota/Nissan, but my 100 series comes with a 90 and a 45 litre tank - I've swapped out the 45 for a 180, giving me 270l of petrol. Also looking at gas, and I understand there are twin 'scuba' tanks which fit along the chassis rails - for the 100 they are 38l (so 76l total)

Don't know if the same sort of setup is available for the GU...
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 431082

Reply By: Pilbara1 - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 00:37

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 00:37
Trevor,
I have a 99GU on gas also but found the range limitation to great. Found i could only get 300k's out of gas and 200k's with standard petrol tank towing camper. Very restrictive when living in NW WA. Afraid i have now decided to trade to a Prado TD so i can do what i want to do. Good luck finding a large enough tank to take on some of the treks on this site.
AnswerID: 175027

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 07:51

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 07:51
big tanks as standard is something the Prado is surprisingly good for - 159l on the 90 series (up to 2002) and 180l from 2002 onwards.

I bought a 2005 landcruiser and it only had 135! I guess the manufacturers have to leave some opportunity there for the after market shops ;-)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 431083

Reply By: Grungle - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 08:30

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 08:30
Hi Trevor,

I have a 159L main and 81L sub fitted to my 99 GU which I got from 4WD Systems in SA. Paid $1300 for the 2 of them but they sell for around $695 each.

They are a great solid tank but can be a bit hard to extend the sub tank float arm (I ended up bending up my own as welding was a pain in the arse) and set the float level so as to get as much fuel out as possible before the transfer pump cuts out. Took me a couple of goes before I got it right but gaining access to the sender unit is a problem. There is an access panel above the sub tank sender but you have to remove the carpet to get to it.

Fitting was easy enough but is definately a 2 person job. Will need access to a pit or hoist as it is heavy and is made to such fine tolerances that it is a tight fit.

They are worth every dollar though in my opinion.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 175043

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 08:54

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 08:54
G'day Grungle,

Glad to read your report about the 4WD Systems tanks. I've been thinking of getting one of their 81 litre tanks.......they seem like they are keenly priced and have the biggest capacity of any of the available sub tanks. Some other brands are over $1000- for about 70 litre capacity. Keeping in mind the old saying that you get what you pay for, I have been a bit concerned that the 4WD Systems tanks might be a bit shoddy or 2nd rate. You are obviously quite happy with their build quality etc. May I ask, have you been on severly corrogated roads etc with these tanks.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 431086

Follow Up By: Grungle - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 11:52

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 11:52
Hi Roachie,

They are very robust with good looking welds and solid fittings. I haven't had the joy of taking it on real corrogated roads (say Cape York bypass or Gibb River Road) yet but have done some hard 4wding with no problems.

Regards
David
FollowupID: 431109

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 12:42

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 12:42
Bill,

I think recently Robin Miller advised (in response to a similar issue on EO) that the 81 L tanks extend down below the chassis rails.

Something to be aware of.............

Please continue the research, as I will likely do this also after you have sussed it completely!!!!!!!!!!

In terms of 4WD systems, & thinking of brother Willie's recent roof rack cracks, I can tell you I have the first r/rack that 4wd systems put on a GU. It has been there for 6 years & 10 months. Very well made, no issues in any department of design or construction. (I put a wind deflector on myself). I regularly carry 90 to 120 kg on it - yes, on very crappy roads/tracks.

Cheers
FollowupID: 431116

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 18:17

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 18:17
David!
How the hell are you mate? Good to see you back. Everyone settled in ok I hope?
Were your ears itchy? Was only talking about you the other day on another post. lol.
Hope to see a bit more of you on here.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 431144

Follow Up By: Grungle - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:10

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:10
G'day Pezza,

I am doing well after a pretty hectic time trying to find accomodation. Spent 2 months with one family by myself and then another 2 months with another family with the wife and kids. Have only just moved into a house on the weekend so am bloody happy as larry. Have been checking out the forums from work as I have been computerless for nearly 5 months. Still need to organise internet connection though and set computer up at home.

Works been great and has been full on with lots of travel out to the mines and remote repeater sites. Have also managed a few camping trips around the region and hope to take a week or 2 off during the school holidays to head up to the gulf seeing as we are only 900km away.

Hope you and the family have been well. Hows the Nissan going?

Regards
David
FollowupID: 431377

Reply By: Bobdate - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 10:44

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 10:44
Trevor:
I have a dual fuel Pajero with about 50L of petrol and 67 L of gas. we went round the block (mainly blacktop) last year and used 2 tanks of petrol (lots of gas though). We were towing a 16.5 ft Jayco poptop van.

A word of warning about your proposal to use gas as the reserve. I do this, and when I am within reach of a known gas supply, switch back on to gas ASAP. This means that at times, the petrol tank may be empty. Most systems have the petrol pump running all the time, so the pump will be ruined. I arranged a relay which opens the petrol pump 12V supply when running on gas. It is a simple operation. When on petrol, the relay is in closed position and the beast runs normally.

I don't know how remote you intend to go, but we covered about 100 km into each end of the Gibb River Rd, went to Cape Leveque, the Bungles and a fair bit inland in the Kimberley. We can get about 330 km from a tank of gas with the van on, and similar distance with petrol. Gas is available in most places up north - you just have to be friendly with the bank manager to pay for it (worst was 95c/L across Nullabor and near Pt Hedland), but is was still way way cheaper than petrol.
AnswerID: 175056

Reply By: gqpat - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 12:18

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 12:18
Had a gq with lpg this had a LRA aux tank fitted for petrol was the longer version which held 80 ltrs. Just be careful if the vehicle is raised more then 2 inch as the rear top control arm hits the tank extention you can now get a tank that has a cut out for this which reduces capacity by i think 4-5 ltrs or the best option is to buy a modified swing arm.
Some tank makers have a habit of making tanks in al sorts of weird shapes to gain capacity i would keep away from these as they have heaps of weld points and more prone to breaking. The LRA tank i had copped a beating with many dents in it and i have seen other LRA tanks which have landed on tree stumps etc and never leaked would recommend a LRA any day.
AnswerID: 175059

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 21:40

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 21:40
gooday trevor
dont hold me to it but i thought i read that with the gu they could put the gas tank beneath the passenger side parallel with the sub tank and no need to remove the main petrol if so maybe you could go back to that setup
will ask workmate on monday he used to be a gasfitter

steve
AnswerID: 175104

Sponsored Links