Clutch problem when it's warmed up

Submitted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 16:37
ThreadID: 34319 Views:1517 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
O.k me looking for a clutch expert,the story go's When i've driving around for a whole and using the clutch you now stopin and startin it seem's by the time i get home and put it in reverse to back up the drive way i'm getting this big SHUDDER and the same in first gear i have to ride the clutch to get going or pick the rev's up a bit to get going,Now i can not understand it cause it's a new clutch kit and yes they did machine the fly wheel well thats what they tell me any way i would'nt even think it would have done no more then 20 thousand ks,to tell you the truth i'm very bleep off this has happened i'm tryin to save for this big trip north to give my Dad a trip of a life time and now this.cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 17:50

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 17:50
Might be contaminated with oil, possibly due to a leaking rear main seal.
AnswerID: 175081

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:18

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:18
Shaker when i get it checked out at a clutch place and if it's a main seal can they fix that there and then.cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 431267

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:24

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:24
Sorry, not sure, depends on the vehicle some can be done with a tool called a "sneaky pete".
It is a big job whichever way it's done, but it one of the most common reasons for clutch shudder.
FollowupID: 431268

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:33

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 15:33
Thanks mate i'll be booking it in tomorrow at Adelaide clutch centre,i'll keep you in formed on the out came but me think it's going to an expensive one ,cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 431270

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 17:11

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 17:11
They should have replaced the rear engine seal anyway. The thing is just sitting there once the flywheel is taken off. They would be crazy not to look at it while the box is out.
In my workshop we usually replace the rear seal with genuine ones whilst doing the clutch. Lets face it, it costs the customer nothing to replace it except for the cost of the seal. there is no labour but if it leaks in 6 months time the whole box and clutch has to come off again and let me tell you pajero's aren't the easiest to get out.
FollowupID: 431286

Reply By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 17:51

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 17:51
One probable cause is that when the clutch was installed ,stress was placed on the clutch centre on installation.One way to check this is to slip the clutch at stand still,by that I mean.Start the vehicle put it in gear and pull on the hand brake,let the clutch out until it slips or until it nearly stalls,do this a couple of times and then check your shudder.If your shudder dissapears you know that this is the problem,sometimes this practice completely erradicates the shudder.But if the damage is great the shudder will return after some use,then the only fix is another plate installation. Hope this is some assistance to you greendog

Regards BILLS
AnswerID: 175082

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 20:24

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 20:24
GD,

I don't profess to be an authority of any sort about clutches - but my dad always says "clutch problems - check your engine mounts". Although it's pretty co-incidental that a brand new clutch was just installed.

One more thing for you to check I guess (you never know, it could be co-incidental that a mount has let go just now).

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Stephen J.
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175097

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 23:25

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 23:25
Just installed? ........ 20,000kms ago!
FollowupID: 431196

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:15

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 13:15
Thanks Stephen if it's the mounts i would think it would be doing it from the time i start driving but it only starts when i have been driving for awhole.cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 431249

Reply By: Member - Barry C (NT) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 22:42

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 22:42
Yep check the mounts first agreed Baz
AnswerID: 175115

Reply By: GREENDOG - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 13:26

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 13:26
Thanks to every one that replyed to this post,i booked it in to a clutch and brake dealer ere in the northern suburbs and they had it for 2 days after me telling them what it was doing i told them you are going to have to drive it for abit to get it hot,well to cut a long story short during the 2 days i had no phone call heard nothin so went back to them to pick car up and yes thats right thats all they did is drive it around for a half hour,no inspection nothin did,nt even put it up on the hoist i said to them before leaving there have a look at every thing that might be causing the problem,you would think that they would phone me up and say could'nt find any thing, do you want to go ahead and rip the gear box out and have a look there at the plate and fly wheel but no,so me walk out there pretty bleep of,Saturday morning cames and i go for a drive for 40 mins through traffic down to Adelaide Clutch Centre at Wingfield clutch not shuddering i spend 30 mins there with a bloke test driving it and he was great explianed how every thing works me not being mechanically minded thats a good thing,any way he say's it's probally doing it cause the fly wheel has'nt been machined propally and has left spots on it and will act differentally with different tempurture'if you now what i mean,he's told me to keep driving it and adventually it will get better,if he's right i'm not a gullible person but i'm a person that will listen to people that are in the know,and thats all i can do is listen,cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 176514

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)