Trailer Coupling

Submitted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 17:35
ThreadID: 34321 Views:2097 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I spotted in the local paper an Off Road Coupling for $50.
Check it out & it seemed ok so I bought it.
From photos on the Camper Trailer website I am fairly sure it is an ORAC.
It has a horizontal pin.
I have never had an offroad coupling before, what maintenace do they need?
It has a grease nipple on the main body, so I greased it.
I was wondering about some silicone spray of similar on the pin plus the bolt that goes through the tongue.

from Marty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 19:51

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 19:51
Marty

If it has a rubber insert where the pin goes through use WD40 or simillar as a lubricant to ease the pin. Rubber grease will cause a build up.

I carry a small cartridge type grease gun to regularly grease mine.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 175093

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 21:48

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 21:48
One of the best lubricants for rubber is a small amount of glycerine.
AnswerID: 175105

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 07:26

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 07:26
Hi Marty,
mate when I was looking at purchasing my camper, I was debating which coupling to go for. Aside from really bleep me off, the bloke at Dingo did share some sound advice... He had a couple of Orac "rip-offs" sitting in his garage. To the untrained eye, they looked identicle aside from the fact they were ripped apart. The cheapies were made from pipe with a seam, instead of seamless pipe. The 3 he showed me were all split along the seam. Might be worth finding out it's origins before entrusting your camper/van to it.
AnswerID: 175132

Follow Up By: Kenell - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 10:46

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 10:46
Blue,

You must be hard to get on with if you couldn't get on with Mr Dingo. Didn't you ever watch Fawlty Towers? He makes Bazil Fawlty look like a PR expert. I bought one of his trailers many years ago and sold it to upgrade. It was rough and tough and did the job well. I now have an Obriens which of course has the Orac on it too since it is his product. Bit of grease once a year, keep the bushes clean with a squirt of wd40 and wipe out with a cloth now n again. Only original Oracs have the stamp on them I think.
I am always nice to people I meet with Dingo Trailers. They probably dont need any more agravation than they have already had.

Kenell
FollowupID: 431223

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 11:39

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 11:39
Kenell ,your not implying that Mr Dingo is as hard to deal with as it is to train an old Fraser island dingo not to beg for food ??LOL. impossible.
FollowupID: 431236

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:07

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 12:07
Guy's I've never met anyone quite like Mr Dingo... After visiting him, I went to a couple of other manufacturers, the last of which was Tambo(I bought one)... While at Tambo waiting for Keith to deal with another customer, 2 other couples turned up, both of which had just been to see Mr Dingo... He lost 3 sales that day, makes you wonder how he stays in business...
FollowupID: 431242

Sponsored Links