Dome Light earth

Submitted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 16:46
ThreadID: 34345 Views:2493 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all Trying to trace the exact exit point for the Dome light wiring from the roof on my GQ Patrol,

As a few of you probably know the dome lights are positive power from the interior light fuse in the DS footwell. The lights are switched by the Earth lead either through the door switches or a straight earth if the switch is selected to the "ON" position. My problem is that the direct earth lead is either broken or has a bad connection at the earth point. (works fine on the door switch)
I have not been able to find where the wires go up into the roof so I can back trace the earth wire. I'm gessing Drivers side front pillar but would like to be sure before pulling too much apart, as I just need to fix the bad earth, so the kids can turn the back light on while I'm driving at night to find the odd toy, sandwich etc.
Thanks up front
Jugs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:26

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:26
goodday jugs
isnt it part of the screw assembly for fixing rthe light to the roof of the car ?????
i thought that 1 earth went to the door and 1 just went thru the light and earthed to the fixing screw

steve
AnswerID: 175221

Follow Up By: Lorne - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:20

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:20
Jugs
I just replaced my rear dome with a fluro one of the same size today. Cool little light, should of taken some pics before install. If your door switch still works fine then just tap into the black wire (not black with pink trace, door control) and earth to body. This should fix prob, I know it's nice to try and fine where the problem is to start with. Just check that these wires don't go to the front dome first, this may be where the prob lies.

Grub.......
FollowupID: 431331

Reply By: Jugs - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:37

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:37
I've pulled the Dome out and there are 3 wires on the plug into the dome 1 + Pos 1 switched ground through the doors and 1 which is supposed to go to ground, all are in a lume (front and rear domes same ) I was considering cutting in and setting up a local ground but not much room and its a iffy ground. As Lorne mentioned it would be nice to fix problem not symptom.
Jugs
AnswerID: 175257

Sponsored Links