Road side Camps WA

Submitted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 17:43
ThreadID: 34347 Views:2033 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Does anyone know of a good spot to camp a night at with a camper trailer, it needs to be about 100 km's north or south of carnarvon on the north west costal highway.
Some where a little bit off the road would be good.

Thanks

Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:33

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:33
Hi Kevin

There are two Site Link and Site Link

We stayed overnite at Lyndon River last year they are 24 hr stops

Richard
AnswerID: 175223

Reply By: Harry - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:34

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 18:34
G'daye Kevin,
I just had a look in my copy of Camps Australia Wide and there are several spots either side of Carnarvon, so I suggest you get a copy. It has heaps of info and uses the Hema maps and same page numbering as Hema's map book.
The site to look at www.campsaustraliawide.com
Good luck
AnswerID: 175224

Reply By: GASGQ - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:52

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 19:52
Hi Kevin,

Last year we travelled to Exmouth and beyond and made it from Perth to Gladstone (which is 198kms short of Caranavon) in a day towing a Jayco Dove Outback campertrailer. We did it with a 4 year old and a 6 month old so we couldn't really drive into the night like we used to BK (before kids).

Gladstone is about 50kms past the overlander roadhouse and 7 kms in on the left side of the west coastal highway (as you are heading north). The coast is rocky but, the site is spartan but for a few long drop toilets. The dunnies face the ocean so if you leave the door open you have a room with a view!!

It is not a freecamp site. You have to pay a nominal amount to the council but in my view it is worth it if you are after an overnighter away from the road trains etc while you are heading north.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 175247

Reply By: froomey - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:59

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 20:59
hi kevin

get your self a , w.a free camp book , from any road house, over night stay's only i think.
foreget what the book is called , they will know

froomey w.a
AnswerID: 175265

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 22:27

Sunday, May 28, 2006 at 22:27
Priceless campsites and rest areas by Jan Holland is good - i got copies for NW, SW and NT from ExplorOz shop. I found the NW one has a number of spots we had been to that aren't in camps 3.

We prefer to find our own spots and be on our own, but the books are good to fall back on, and you don't have to worry if you can't find anything, knowing that a listed site is coming up soon.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 175279

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 01:41

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 01:41
We regularly use this book. We have a habit of leaving friday night when doing weekenders, and stopping in a spot pre-picked from the book.

On many occaisions we have pulled into a spot to find it packed, but the book will always have something close by.
AnswerID: 175558

Reply By: RedGibber - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 18:34

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 18:34
Hi Kevin,

For S of Carnarvon you could try a roadside rest area which is about 26km N of the Wooramel Roadhouse - this is 92kms S of Cvn. THere is a secondary area further back from the basic roadside park which is on the LHS going N.

Closer in, you could also consider New Beach or Bush Bay - the access roads take you to the beaches.

As others have said, N of Cvn, Minilya Bridge rest area's not a bad spot (roughly 140kms N) or go another 48Kms to Lyndon River. Lyndon's a favourite of ours! ;-)
AnswerID: 176877

Sponsored Links