mattress in swags

Submitted: Monday, May 29, 2006 at 01:00
ThreadID: 34355 Views:8983 Replies:10 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
i have been checking out some swags and keep seeing the mattress in all look the same, about 2 inches thick and (not very) high dencity foam.
i lay on one and could feel my hips poking thru the foam and hitting the floor it felt bad enough on the carpeted floor so what will it be like on a hard stony ground???!!!
i looked at a few different types they all seemed to be the same dencity. is it just the ones i saw were cheepies? am i to fussy? is it common to just replace the mattress with a thicker on of your choice? do i just go buy a 24ft caravan and sleep in airconditioned comfort on a queen size pillowtop ensamble?
think i'll have a bex and a lie down............
greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 02:01

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 02:01
Nope. You go and buy a swag and put a Thermarest in it.

Or even better we just bought two of these and now the kids sleep on the thermarests.

It's called an Exped Deluxe 10. It's a full length mattress with velcro stitched down the side so you can join 2 to make a double. It's self expanding to 10cm thick. Couple of puffs and seal the valves and it's extremely comfortable.

Best thing though is that you open the valves and when you roll it, it compresses to a roll about 180mm dia x whatever the width is (??630mm). Truck loads better than those appalling 4wd double mattresses sold by Rays and Aus Disp. A bit dearer though but ten times easier to pack. Space is a premium when we go away and these save lots of it.

And on the bright side I'm going to be very comfortable in my swag in future.

Dave
AnswerID: 175285

Follow Up By: Wok - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 05:50

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 05:50
Dave,

Any links to this mattress please?

Thks......eng
FollowupID: 431371

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:22

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:22
Google reveals:

Site Link

at $199 - twice (or more) the prices of normal 4WD self inflating matresses.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 431384

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:23

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:23
Site Link

Can't find the companies site at the moment. Mine was supplied by Bogong Jack or Bogong Equipment in Ltl Bourke St in Melbourne.

Buying two I think I got them for arount the $180 each mark.

I don't deny that they are expensive Mike, but they are good enough to warrant it in my opinion. But then I also have about $800 worth of mattress for the family between these and the other two Thermarests the kids sleep on.

The thing is though that if I get one of those 4wd Double Mattresses sold by Aussie Disposals & the like, I have an impractically large mattress that has to be rolled twice to get it back in it's bag, and when it's in it's bag it doesn't even fit in the back of the ute.

Most people I've seen with them invariably end up with them on the roof just waiting for an over hanging branch to sliced or puncture them. Then they are $140 worth of foam junk.

The two kids Thermarests packed are about 15cm dia & 25cm long each. The Expeds are about 18 cm dia & 60 cm long each. They are excellent insulators and keep the ground cold at bay, and on the kids bunks insulate them from the cold night air. At Davies Plain Hut in subzero temps they made a big difference to comfort levels for the whole family on ANZAC Day weekend.

The kids matts are small enough that they get chucked in a lose hole needing filling between bags. Ours sit on top of the food boxes or bags no worries.

When I did the Canning last year my swag was more comfortable than the other 6, and packed 40% smaller (important saving when you are carrying 5 swags on the roof rack).

It's not everyones cup of tea. But a good nights sleep is worth the extra money and when you think you own these things for years it's bugger all when you spread the cost over nights used.

Not only that but the Exped Mattresses were $100 each cheaper than the comparable Thermarest products, and had innovative advantages making them a far better product.

Dave
FollowupID: 431415

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:00

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:00
Interesting points.

I have no objection to paying for quality but for twice the price I would expect something a fair bit better than what I have. ie. one single and one queen size 100mm self inflaters from Rays, both about 4 years old now and both still working very well except they both leak a bit when deflated which is why I don't use the bags any more - I can get them into the bags, no problem, but getting them out is a swine :)

I don't find the size of the single to be a problem but I agree the queen is a bit on the big side but I still manage to get it inside the vehicle OK. Most certainly they both provide an excellent night's sleep and I've used them down to -4C and been quite warm enough.

I am attracted by the 180mm rolled up size - that would be very convenient, maybe I'll get one and see how it goes.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 431432

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:15

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:15
Bongong Equipment don't list any self inflating mattresses on their website and appeared rather confused, when I called, about their products and pricing - they currently do not have stock of the DeLux 10 but thought it's price would be in excess of the $245 they were charging for the Sim Light 10 - too dear when compared to the $80 or $90 Rays are charging for their products.

www.bogong.com.au/html/products_.html

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 431435

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 11:15

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 11:15
Sorry Mike,

Just went back and checked the Plastic money statement. The sleeping bags from Mountain Design were $180 each. The mattresses were $210 each - I haggled a little for two mattresses and didn't pay retail, and they had quite a few in stock at the time (about 30 I think he said). It was Neil I dealt with and he was one of the owners so whether that gave him more latitude with the pricing than his staff I don't know. He was very helpful though, and very knowledgeable about his product.

If I was younger and fitter the down mattresses for hiking in the same brand looked excellent too.

www.box.net/public/865a3sjfrl
www.box.net/public/yeuj6sb90i

The links above will take you to a file store where I've placed a couple of pics of the rolled mattress next to a ruler. Should give you some perspective.

Personally I think they are worth it. I know they aren't in everyones budget.

Dave
FollowupID: 431662

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 11:54

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 11:54
Thanks for that Dave. They certainly are a good size and much smaller than the Ray's type I have and if I could get one for $200 I would probably go for it but once we get to the "$245+" it's rather like my GMC gen verses a Honda: sure the Honda is a much better product but I can't justify paying X times more for it and in this case I doubt the Exped will be more comfortable or warmer, just smaller.

Anyway thanks for the info. I didn't know anything of that brand so I'll keep a look out for them now and if I see one at a decent price I'll grab it :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 431667

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 12:06

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 12:06
Amortise the price difference over the 5 - 10 years you use it and it's between $0.37 & $0.75 a month

:o))

Dave
FollowupID: 431670

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 12:15

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 12:15
I like it!

So using those maths I can go out and buy the Kipor, the 80lt Engel, the new rifle I want ($2500) and upgrade my Amateur Radio - total = a measly $11.73 a week - amortised over 10 years of course....

Now... where's that credit card....

Mike Harding :)
FollowupID: 431674

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:20

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:20
Hey,

It works on my wife. It might work on yours.

Hell, it even works on me! I can talk myself into any gadget I need .... or should that be want....

At the moment it's just a matter of deciding on a Patrol or Landcruiser that's the issue now that we've had vehicle leasing included in our salary sacrifice.... :o))

Dave
FollowupID: 431698

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:19

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:19
>It works on my wife. It might work on yours.

I no longer have a wife but I might be interested in yours; please send a photograph and I'll make an offer - providing we can amortise her over 10 years: of course we’ll have to factor in depreciation due to ageing....

Mike Harding :)
FollowupID: 431926

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:41

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:41
Just go to the c
AnswerID: 175293

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:43

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:43
Just go to the camping store and buy a single self inflating mattress....
I sometimes wake up and think i am in my own bed at home..
FollowupID: 431375

Reply By: macca172 - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:51

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:51
I had exactly the same problem as you Greg, went to my local Clark Rubbe store, bought a piece of 75mm medium denisty foam and fixed the problem!

Macca
AnswerID: 175296

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:40

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 08:40
as an upholsterer I can tell you that a cheaper way to do it would be to go to your local foam supplier or Clarke's and get a high density piece of foam cut to size. There are more than just high, low and medium densities and all are a different colour. So if you can see the actual foam through it's cover you can see whether it is diferent from any new piece that you buy.
FollowupID: 431387

Follow Up By: slave - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:45

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:45
Got to agree with you Steve.
Our swag is 1200 wide so that made finding a self inflating hard to find.
After 2 weeks of sleeping on our "high density" mattress we stopped at Broken Hill and got a new one cut to size at the upholsterer. Got home and used an old doona cover as a mattress cover. Heaps cheaper than the self inflating ( even without the family discount ) and still rolls up comparably to the kids self inflating mattress.

Mrs S
FollowupID: 431398

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:59

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 07:59
Greg,

I have done the same, just use a self inflating mattress in the swag. When I roll the swag I undo the value and roll the lot including the sleeping bag all together.

Once it is rolled close the value so that the mattress does not try to inflate again. At night unroll the swag undo the value allow the mattress to inflate and you are
ready for bed.

I have been using this set up for many years now and will be sleeping in the swag every night next 4 months.

The other thing that I do is to place those foam squares under the swag. 3 locked together is enough for the length of the swag. Doing this I am insulating my self from the ground, and that is where all the cold comes from, and also keeping the air mattress off any sharp objects that might puncture the mattress.

Wayne
AnswerID: 175299

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 23:06

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 23:06
Thanks for a couple of great ideas, Wayne ......

"I have done the same, just use a self inflating mattress in the swag. "

"Once it is rolled close the valve so that the mattress does not try to inflate again."

"The other thing that I do is to place those foam squares under the swag, 3 locked together."

Will try both of those ........... I have an OzTrail KingSize single self-inflatable in my swag ........ which rolls up to the same size as the original mattress so a smaller bundle will be great ...... and the foam squares will be just perfect for an additional edge in sleep enhancement !!

These little gems and the many other I have 'stolen' make my recent membership more and more worthwhile.
FollowupID: 431833

Reply By: Laura B - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:34

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 09:34
We are going to buy a selfinflating matress cos of the same reason but i can sleep anywhere so its really for Nathan (or to ease the whinging!!LOL!!)

Caravan??? aswag gives you the option of sleeping under the stars!!!! - now thats comfy!!!!Mmmmmmmmmm............thats tonight - sleep in the swag inthe backyard!!!

Laura
AnswerID: 175309

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:40

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 11:40
I use an airbed.. perfect folds flatter than any other option... blanket under it to keep it warm, and sweeeeeeeeeeeet
AnswerID: 175331

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:03

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:03
Until somebody's missus starts swearing at you uncontrollably at 3am cos you've found it necessary to fire-up the little high-flow blower to re-inflate.....hahahaha
FollowupID: 431694

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:49

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 14:49
Never an issue :P only ever 1 in my swag :(
FollowupID: 431704

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:18

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:18
We use a double swag, got rid of the 50mm mattress and put a thicker, self inflating 4wd mattress in it. Makes it all pretty bulky, but we have the room, and its as good as being home.

When I take a single swag, just add a thermarest to the mattress thats already there.
AnswerID: 175348

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:30

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 13:30
If you replace the matress in the swag don't go too much thicker or the swag will be huge when rolled up! Just a tip!
Scoey
AnswerID: 175355

Reply By: greghud - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:40

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:40
thanks for the tips
i knew it wasnt just me i will have to have a look for some of these self inflaters or the foam
thanks again
greg
AnswerID: 175450

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:41

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:41
Well, maybe our swags are better quality ones.

We have never found the need for an additional, or replacement mattress.
Ours have 50mm high density foam mattress that kind of looks a bit like an egg carton. Feels bloody good though, we get as good a night's sleep as when at home.
Maybe even better.

Don't use them as much now though as the Camper Trailer has it's own Queen size bed with a "normal" mattress in it. That is comfortable too.

Our "Down Under" brand swags were not cheep when we bought them 6 years ago. They double as spare beds for overnight visitors at home and nobody has ever complained about the lack of comfort.

You know that old saying:- "You get what you pay for".

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175452

Sponsored Links