2 Q'? Gas refills by weight & split in Steel rim

Submitted: Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:42
ThreadID: 34381 Views:2485 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Exploroz's

1. If anyone knows of a gas refiller, that refills by weight. I for one would like to know, in Sydney or anywhere. I'm sure we could all benefit from this knowledge at some stage when at home or on the road.

2. 80ser Steel Rim.. After changing valve, reseating tyre on rim, still leaking somewhere. Apply liberal amount of soapy liquid to assist seating of bead I found my steel RIM (not bead) was blowing bubbles. WTF? Closing in on the bubbles I saw the rim is leaking air.
Bugga!!!

Your opinions please.
Can the steel rim be repaired for use as a 2nd spare only?
It is seemingly a "split" of about 3mm long on the face side, inside there is a small area of surface rust.
I did ask the man at Beau's and he said to ditch it. I value the knowledge of this assembled forum and ask for your opinion.
Thanks for any input :)

Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:49

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:49
Hi Andy,
I'd find the ends of the crack and drill them to stop spreading. If it is indeed a crack.
Then I'd grind out the split on both sides.
Then I'd TIG weld it both sides.
Grind or file it back smooth, bog and paint.

No more problems, should in fact be good as new.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 175433

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:55

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:55
Andy

Reckon you're dreaming looking for a gas refiller by weight - even if you find one you'll run out again away from home. I have given in and get change over cylinders now - saves hanging around at Plumbers Supply stores which are about all that ever weigh cylinders - and take for ever to do it. If you really want to do it, try Complete Hardware at Eastwood - but I'd ring them first to see if they still do it.

I had an 80s rim crack last year. The local tyre bloke put in a tube for me and I intend to use it as a reserve spare - with the dodgy tyre I had on my second spare, which has now become a road wheel. Second spare is unlikely ever to be used (I haven't used it in 9 years of outback travel) and I'd certainly never use it on the highway. It had done about 200,000 km - how far had yours gone?

Max
AnswerID: 175437

Follow Up By: Wisey (NSW) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:09

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:09
Max

Thanks for the info on gas. Refill by weight was mentioned on here before and had me thinking.

Rims are 2nd hand to me with unknown k's. Does my descript' sound similar to your split?
Funny you mention the tube!! Inside my rim is written "80s, needs tube"
DOH! OHHHHHH, thats what it means. LOL

Andy
FollowupID: 431512

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:48

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:48
Andy - my crack was hard to see. Nowhere near the size you describe. Don't reckon I'd weld it - just use on way off the bitumen or as a couple of guys have said, donate the rim to Mr Sims!

Max
FollowupID: 431519

Reply By: Garbutt - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:58

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 17:58
I filled up my 4.5 kg gas bottle today at the local Mitre10 in Berri and was charged $5.30, can't beat that. Most others around here will only exchange.
AnswerID: 175439

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:09

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:09
the best idea with the rim would be to ditch it, it will have started to fatigue elsewhere alrady so should never be used as a road wheel.
Very common problem unfortunately. I've seen one that had had a tube fitted and the crack grew to 2mm wide in another 10k, an accident waiting to happen.
AnswerID: 175440

Follow Up By: Wisey (NSW) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:14

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:14
Peter

Yer prol'y right P2. I guess I'll just carry a doughnut. As above I'll prol'y never req' to use it after lugging around for K aft' K

Andy
FollowupID: 431515

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:56

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:56
Re the Gas by weight.
Last August we were able to get this at a hardware store in Broome.

Can't remember the name sorry.

Pedro
AnswerID: 175464

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:15

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:15
Yeah, found the same thing with gas bottles.
Most of the local people only refill by the weight on the bottle.

Have a spare 2kg bottle now so can I run one right down and swap over while getting the other one refilled.

With the rims.
Just had some tyres off and found one rim had a problem.
Running stock 16x6 nissan RV rims of the 94/97 era.

Got a 2nd hand one at a 2nd hand tyre and rim dealer for $20.00.
Be a bit careful, some were pretty rusty, but found a good rim.
Actually, saw 2 good rims, so got both of them.
This is in Brisbane.
AnswerID: 175467

Reply By: Scrubcat - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:25

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:25
Andy,
Gas by weight for refills is available from Bendigo Cylinder Testing in Bendigo central Vic.,a long way from you though. I don`t know if other cylinder testing places sell gas by weight but it may be worth checking.
As a bit of extra info they only fill with "propane" not with "Auto Gas" or "Butane"
apparently there is a difference in heat output, propane being the hottest.
cheers.
Scrub.
AnswerID: 175470

Reply By: Scrubcat - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:31

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 19:31
Just another thought, The local Hot Air Balloon operators were getting there large bottles filled at this place last time I was there, so it must be OK and the cheapest.
cheers.
AnswerID: 175473

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 21:01

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 21:01
Wisey,

Only a few weeks ago, had one of rims off 80 series, develop a leak. Local bloke fitted a tube, but on advice for this forum(thanks Peter) , ended up buying 4 new mags. $200 each for the 3, and the 4th was only $175, because of a scratch, I couldn't even find.

S'pose steel wheels would have been cheaper, but a lot safer than these older rims

Hooroo...

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175509

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:32

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 09:32
Andy

From an engineering viewpoint I would be careful drilling, grinding and welding. As a spare it may be okay, but any hole drilled becomes a stress-raiser. The boilermaker you got to do the job would need to drill it, die-grind the edges of the crack, weld it, grind it and then put the rim through post-weld heat-treatment. The problem is with welding, that it hardens the metal around the weld, in some applications this is acceptable, but the metal is less resistant to impact loads, and cyclic-loading, exactly what a car rim undergoes. For what the above works would cost you to have it done properly, it would be cheaper to find yourself another 2nd-hand rim. It may be okay as a spare, it may not, depends whether or not you are prepared to live with the risk, for less than $100 I wouldn't
AnswerID: 175581

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 15:59

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 15:59
Wisey,
I assume you are talking about an 80 series 16" X 8'' GXL rim.
These have a bit of a repution for developing cracks. I had one split all the way around to the extent that the mechanic at Arkoroola refused to refit a tyre and tube.
I later purchased a second hand tyre and fitted it tube myself although only put about 20 psi in it( I was only carrying it as a 3rd spare for a solo SD trip.)

Ended up loaning it to a bloke in a hire britz troopy to get into william creek after he had shedded 3 tyres between maree and william creek.

I was told it was illegal to reweld but at $150 each second hand if you can get them , on returning home I mig welded the rim all the way around and refitted .
that was 3 years ago and I am happy to run a spare but admit I wouldnt fit to steer only on back.

That rimnow also has texta penned "TUBE only".
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 175647

Sponsored Links