camper trailer brakes

Submitted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 17:37
ThreadID: 34420 Views:2036 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
am buying an offroad camper that is just under weight limit for compulsory brakes.wish have brakes anyway.camper trailer guy told me electric brakes are more trouble than they are worth when offroad. is this correct? will be doing fairly serious off roading. thanks for any info
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 17:47

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 17:47
Good decision of yours to have brakes anyway. You won't be sorry.

Can't give you any specific advice on electric brakes matey, but the hydraulic override brakes, actuated by the tow hitch will be adequate for your needs.

The only minor hassle is remembering to flip the locking tab over before reversing, although off road, this is not significant.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175669

Reply By: pilbaradisco - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 17:52

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 17:52
I have hyd. over ride on mine. The hand brake comes in handy and no need for any other controller mounted in the car.

Glen.
AnswerID: 175670

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 18:30

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 18:30
I had an O'Briens Off Road camper and it had electric brakes, never any problems
AnswerID: 175679

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:54

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 19:54
If your trailer is only rated to 749KG with out brakes on tare placard brakes wont help. As carrying capacity needs to be increased as well. The only time brakes are needed (bylaw) is if towing vehicle is less than 750kg capacity. or over 750kg in weight.

Make you laugh if it wasn't so serious selling camper trailer with 749 kg max tare weight, and trailer weights 500 to 600 kg empty. 6x4 area to carry max 249kg load. The manufacturers need to get real, (Should be held accountable)

Excelent idea to have brakes anyway on your camper
Have electric brakes on my trailer no problems.
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 175711

Follow Up By: Off-track - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:21

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:21
Again please Charlie, this time in English. :-)
FollowupID: 431796

Follow Up By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 18:43

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 18:43
The brakes are a excelent idea.
Regarding the above post you wont gain any extra weight carrying capacity unless your trailer tare plate is increased to spring or axle carrying capacity, even if brakes are fitted.
Cheers
Charlie
FollowupID: 432012

Reply By: OzRoamer - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:37

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 21:37
hi pjp65

Go for the electric brakes even if you think you are under weight. If your like us you will soon be well over the 750kgs when you are away.

What tate are you in?
AnswerID: 175742

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 22:44

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 22:44
No problems with electric brakes, hydraulic over-ride brakes are pita, you need to be able to control your brakes from in the vehicle, particularly if you are going down a greasy hill. Handbrake is an option with electric brakes, I have one.
If you must have over-ride brakes, go for mechanical discs.
If you are rich, the ultimate system is electric/hydraulic discs, but be warned, they don't come cheap!
AnswerID: 175759

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 00:06

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 00:06
Anyone come up with a solution for the problem with Electrics where when descending steep (& I do mean steeeep) stuff in the high country, the angle upsets the controllers sense angle which is generally set on the flat.

A steep descent confuses the controller into thinking the vehicle is braking when it is not, and a small dab of brakes locks up the controller where it would not on a lesser grade or flat ground.

I've got some good video of a mates Tvan looking like it wanted to overtake the GQ coming down a shaley Harry Sheppards a few years ago.

Dave
AnswerID: 175784

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:07

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:07
To overcome the steep hill problem just turn the pendulum forward a little. Alternately you can fit a Tekonsha Prodigy controller – these have self levelling built in so you never have to worry about the pendulum.

No steep hills do not activate the brakes. The thing that does is the stop light switch – that is one of the reasons for having the 4th wire from the controller (the other is to illuminate the brake lights when you use the thumb control.) What steep hills do is to make the controller think you are braking more heavily than you really are – if that happens then just push the pedal far enough to activate the trailer brakes and let them do the work, apply more pedal if you require more braking.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 432843

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:09

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:09
If you have the $, consider investing in brakes for the improved safety aspects alone (weight issues aside). Quality electrics are good (such as ALKO - Offroad) - that's what I have on the Campomatic - checked my hubs the other day after a few decent trips and all bits still in good nick, with plenty of wear left. The other combinations of over-ride discs and shoes via hydraulic and cable all work well if maintained and adjusted (like any system). Being able to control the electric brakes from within the cab is a bonus (and they can work in reverse too) - but the controller costs of course.
AnswerID: 175818

Sponsored Links