HF Aerial - Help

Submitted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 08:34
ThreadID: 34454 Views:2040 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to fit an HF radio to my 80 series. The radio has a Barrett 910 auto tune aerial and I am trying to work out how to mount the aerial. The car does not have a bar, rear wheel carrier or roof rack; making the problem more difficult.

Thoughts so far are:

1) Make up a bracket to fit it to the existing front bumper. Shouldn't be too hard, but I suspect that it is not entirely legal as it should be behind a bull bar and exposes it to damage from animals, stones, etc.

2) Some kind of bracket on the rear right that runs from under the body up to the gutter on the roof (kind of like half a roof ladder)

3) Fit a single roof rack and make up bracket to 'hang' down the side on the rear of the vehicle.

4) The archives mention some kind of contraption that uses suction cups and straps on the side of the vehicle. Anyone seen one of these?

Unfortunately fitting a bar and/or RWC is not a financial option at this stage. Anyone with experience or advice on this?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 09:19

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 09:19
The manufacturer of a 100 series bracket for non DX/base models rang me this morning. Not sure if they'd fit 80 series. He's in SA, and has just started manufacturing and delivering. AFIK his brackets are recommended by Codan so they should be Ok (even for Barretts :)
If you need more details you can email me at jimshire1ATiprimusDOTcomDOTau.
AnswerID: 175834

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 10:20

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 10:20
Thanks Footy. E-Mail on its way.

Matt.
FollowupID: 431898

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:01

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:01
I'd be inclined to make up a simple bracket that bolted to the rear bumper bar; similar to the style they use for a swing-arm mounted spare wheel when you haven't actually replaced the whole rear bar. Basically it would be a large "U" shaped bracket that bolts through the existing bumper bar on either right or left side, just out far enough to allow the tail gate to drop down.

I would think a long bar from bumper to roof gutter would be ugly and prone to damage etc.

Good luck

Roachie
AnswerID: 175860

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:25

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:25
Cheers Roachie. My first thought as well but the difficulty with the 80 series is, as you point out, the tailgate and putting the mount far enough out to the side so as not to obstruct the tail lights. The other factor seems to be having the aerial high enough so the vehicle body does not interfere with reception/transmission.

Matt.
FollowupID: 431949

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:26

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:26
Qld Police have it mounted on the towbar, but if you have a wagon door there that would be problem
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 175869

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:51

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:51
Matt,
if you dont do any good thru Footloose contact. I may be able to assist along the lines of what Roachie is suggesting.
I have a bracket under the back of my 80 Gxl which used to carry a home made RWC.
I would be pretty confident of being able to quickly knock together an adaptor mount for an aerial base to connect.
PM me if you need any help
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 175882

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:22

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:22
Thanks Howard. I might follow you up on that, if nothing else would be nice to meet another member in the area.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 431945

Sponsored Links