Palmerville

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 13:47
ThreadID: 3446 Views:3807 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if the road from Palmer River Roadhouse to Palmerville is suitable for an off road caravan, and what facilities are out that way, ie rest areas etc. Looking at travelling Jun-Sep.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 16:02

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 16:02
Cow,
a mate of mine own's the property next door to palmerville and when i was up there 3 weeks ago told me that the wilsons,( who own palmerville station) ,had locked the gate at there end,which means you can't get through.The only way you can get to palmerville from that direction is to go to laura,through fairlight station, then out through mount mulgrave station,and on to chillagoe,or normanton.
There are also no facility's at palmerville as it is a cattle station.
Regards ,
baz
AnswerID: 13494

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 17:16

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 17:16
Hi Cow,

If you haven't already, try to get a hold of Hector Holthouse's book "River of Gold" principally about the Palmer River goldrush, but also touching on Maytown, Cooktown etc. Absolutely enthralling read!

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 13509

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 20:57

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 20:57
Cow, if you are talking about going in off the black top sth of Palmer Roadhouse, it's slow going with a van as there are some steep sections and a bit rough in parts.

There is a great camp site on the Palmer below Maytown without haveing to cross the river.

You will need to go out the same way you came.

Tony.
AnswerID: 13526

Reply By: Nick G - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 21:13

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 21:13
Cow,I to would recommend Hector Holthouse Book. I have not been to Palmerville but went to Maytown in October 2000. We spent 2 very full days Looking around the mines and machinery.I found it very facinating and would recommend it. The Maytown-Laura Rd is one of the greatest 4wd tracks. It follows the originial Cobb&Co Coach Rd. It took me 8 hours to do 54k!!! 3hours for the first 8k!! It`s not the place for caravans! The fishing was great too. In our crab traps we caught 175 marion(freshwater Prawn) in 2 Days. Give it some thought! Nick G
AnswerID: 13527

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 19:05

Thursday, Feb 20, 2003 at 19:05
Whites Creek rd is 16 klms south of the road house and is usually ok for an offroad van tho rough with some steep pinches. Maytown is about 85 klms in and Palmerville about 35klms further again. Maytown to Laura is not suitable for towing and 8 hours should be allowed for the 80klm journey even in a well set up 4wd. Ron Moons "Cape York an Adventurers Guide" has detailed maps and info on the area. Pop in and say hello on your way thru.
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
www.4wdtraining.com
4wdtraining@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au

AnswerID: 13600

Sponsored Links