Cobb "Premier" - anyone have one?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 13:39
ThreadID: 34463 Views:3255 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all :)

I've been reading numerous posts here (ad infinitum) in regards to the perceived fragility of the Cobb MkII with the plastic base, especially in relation to the rough handling they have to endure riding in the back of a bucking 4WD. Although I always try to treat my equipment as kindly as I can without being overly protective, you know that camping gear invariably gets a bashing over time.

The newer Cobb "Premier" looks the goods as it appears to have a stainless steel mesh base instead of that hard plastic. I really like the idea of the way a Cobb cooks, and have heard good things about various peoples' experiences here in terms of how the food tastes.

If I were to get one of the Premiers would I be happier than if I were to get an older MkII? Does anyone have any experience with them yet?

Cheers
Chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - uncle - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 13:48

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 13:48
Just spotted them while at the outdoors shop in town today. Looks like it's even designed better as a heater for after the cooking's done.We just did 4 days in sub zero temps in the kanangra area at the w/end and used ours to heat up the CT after cooking, this model would even do it one step better i'd say! I'd go for one if we didnt already have ours.
AnswerID: 175891

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:36

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:36
Last Sat out on the bush one of our party set their cob up to cook some veges to discover a large crack running down the plastic base. It still did a grand job of the veges though.
AnswerID: 175902

Follow Up By: Mrs Wombat - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:09

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:09
HWMBO ordered a new stainless steel base on Tuesday, Ray, so hopefully it will stand up to a bit harsher treatment.
FollowupID: 432237

Reply By: Emo - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:39

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 14:39
I think that there are enough people that have listed problems with the plastic base model. I'd be interested in a mesh one but wouldn't get one with the plastic base.
AnswerID: 175903

Reply By: Noel W (Qld) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 15:52

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 15:52
I purchased one a few weeks ago and learning to use before hittin' the road.

I contacted Cobb and was informed that as with the MKII, the Premier base is available separately and fits the MKII - $49 + postage inc GST.

Cheers ...
AnswerID: 175919

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 16:24

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 16:24
The new base will also fit the mark one - ordered mine new base from Cobb today.

I broke my old base when I picked up the Cobb in it's bag but didn't get my hand through the two loops and ended up dropping it 4 feet onto the concrete floor - crunch.

It still works fine, it's just a little wobbly and I'm too lazy to work out how to fix it.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 175922

Reply By: pilbaradisco - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 17:23

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 17:23
A mates Cobb base had cracked and we put it down to 4WDing. I also noticed mine had cracked but mine has only been used at home and never been mistreated. I think the main source of cracking is from the heat.
The high sided fry pan looks good too. I mainly use mine with a med size camp oven for cooking roasts and stews, less cleanig up. Another way is to use an oven bag on top of the grill plate, even less cleaning up!
I have placed an order for a new base. :-)

Glen.
AnswerID: 175931

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 20:07

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 20:07
well chrispy, i see the cobb is posted about again, but i just can't go past "a dinner from the dutchie." love my cast iron camp ovens. mind you.....took three of the four kids on an overnighter up a creek last weekend and although I had my mandatory fire going, I did use msr lightweights to help with the tucker. well, there is only so much you can fit in a kayak along with one adult, three kids, swag, tent, fishing gear, clothes etc...not to mention low tide on a tidal creek. what a great time it was though.

kind regards,

Jeremy.

maybe i can haggle at the maitland show, or did i just miss it ? :)
AnswerID: 175986

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 20:11

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 20:11
Hey there Bushy :)

You should bring your kayak down to our place in Cooma - and we'll go to the headwaters of the Murrumbidgee off Tantangara Dam - and try paddling all the way to Cooma pump station. Should be able to do it in a couple of days. It'd be fun!

PS - sounds like a bloody big kayak! What is it - a K2?
FollowupID: 432044

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 07:42

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 07:42
it's a glass k3 mate, oldie but a goodie. it has no fixed seats, i use those common white plastic chairs cut their legs off.

that trip sounds good mate. i've got the maps and know the area from firefighting there a couple of years back. i've also got a 6 y/o peception acadia which is what i prefer of course and what i would use if not with the kids. what month would you reckon? mm me i guess, i'll need to talk with the Bride and maybe work a holiday into it.

kind regards,

Jeremy.
FollowupID: 432111

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:31

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:31
Hey Jeremy :)

I reckon that it would best be done in early to mid spring - i.e. somewhere around September to early October. Four days should do it (include a Friday and Monday around a weekend for travel and setup). There sould be a fair bit of water due to the melt too, which means fewer portages.

I'm starting to really like the idea!
FollowupID: 432120

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:44

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:44
Well it's Labour Day on Mon Oct 2. I plan ahead so I booked Fri 29 off back in January. There's four days already there. Will do some R&D. Yeah it's got legs mate.
FollowupID: 432122

Reply By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:25

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:25
Hi Chris,

Mines the MkII - only a couple of months old - bought it just as the Premier came out.

M8 you'll need it just to keep warm down there LOL.

Good to see you can order the metal base separately.
I like the oven bag tip, too
- thanks for that Noel and Pete.

You'd have to think the metal one is the way to go, Chris.
Just get it and give us some good recipes when you've sussed it out,

ciao
Kel
AnswerID: 176014

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 23:15

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 23:15
LOL!! Cheers Kel :)

I'll be sure to pass some 'roo recipes on... once I get the bugger untangled from the top fence and in the oven!

Yup - I think that the metal mesh one is the go. Pretty expensive when you start adding the frypan and other options though :(

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 432088

Sponsored Links