Charging Camper Trailer battery

Submitted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 20:58
ThreadID: 34485 Views:2871 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to run Battery/starter cable through to rear of patrol to connect to Camper Battery via anderson plugs to charge camper battery whilst travelling

I have a duel battery system (Pirahna) and the question is should I connect the cable to the Starter Battery or the Auxillary battery
I will be running a laptop through inverter and GPS from auxillary battery in car via separate 6mm cable

The connection will only be left connected whilst travelling and disconnected when stopped for extended periods

I was thinking that by connecting through aux battery I will have some spike prtotection if trailer battery gets low on power

On the other hand I thought that I would get the best charge by connecting to the starter battery

I have a trailblazer fridge mounted on trailer all the time and the power is souced from a deep cycle Battery on trailer
Also Camp 12v lights also run off this battery

In the past I connected camper through 6mm cable that provides power to aux plugs in the car
I had a bridging cable to trailer through 2 pin clipsal 32v plugs

I have upgraded to B/starter cable to minimise voltage loss at trailer

Thanks in advance for replies

I am leaving for 7 week trip to Kimberly via birdsville on 1st july

Mark (Geelong)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:54

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 21:54
Auxiliary.

In this way the primary battery will charge first, followed by the multiple auxiliary batteries.

It doesn't matter how many batteries you have in parallel and charging at the same time. (Well, within reason anyway)

This is very similar to the arrangement I have, except the third battery, charged by its own dedicated controllers, happens to be a portable unit. Still connected to the auxiliary battery so that the primary gets first chance.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176021

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 19:02

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 19:02
Correction.

The portable unit is not "charged" by separate controllers. It is managed by them.

The alternator still does the charging.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 432217

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:41

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 22:41
Absolutley aux battery. Should you stop the car the camper battery will still drain from whichever battery it is connected to, unless you have a second battery isolator which would be an unusual set up.

Starting battery should be isolated from all others until the Pirahna gizmo is happy that it has a good charge and then brings others on line.
AnswerID: 176038

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:10

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:10
Hi Mark,

The above replies are all correct.

Cheapest solution is to go to the aux battery via a fuse.

If you go to the starting battery you will need a controller, REDARC or ABR to prevent the car cranking off the camper battery, blowing fuses and melting wire and plugs. The battery will charge slightly faster on its own controller but it is better to have the 2 aux batteries joined and working together. Try using the same size batteries.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 176094

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:37

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:37
Derek,

Just a quick question not really related to the above.

If the main battery fails but the auxiliary is still OK, what is the correct way to jump start if the batteries are connected via a REDARC? Should I disconnect the auxiliary from the REDARC or is it OK to just jumper across the battery terminals while the isolator is in place. I believe that there is a method of connecting the dud main via the REDARC terminals.

I guess I should investigate one of the "momentary on" switches referred to on the REDARC site.

Kings
FollowupID: 432141

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:01

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:01
The Redarc has a blue overide wire. Connect this to the aux side of the redarc via a switch or temp jump wire and the Redarc will engage. You can then crank the car.
FollowupID: 432143

Follow Up By: Wok - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:14

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:14
If the main battery has failed, how would it supply control to the blue wire?

eng
FollowupID: 432144

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:25

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:25
You must connect to the aux battery not the main.
FollowupID: 432146

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:37

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:37
Derek,

Mine does not have a blue wire visible. It is definitely a Redarc Smart Start and it was fitted by Nissan when I ordered the vehicle. I have checked out the Redarc site and it seems to be quite comprehensive, and I have seen the diagram showing the over ride switch installation (I understand that it is what you are referring to in your reply). Mine has a couple of unmarked small screw terminals low down on the unit, but no wire. It may have been removed at installation.

I will contact Redarc.

Kings
FollowupID: 432153

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:59

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:59
Derek and others,

I just spoke with Redarc technical assistance and they advised that I have an earlier model than the one shown on their website. It does not have the over ride facility. The solution is simple; Just join the two positives with an alligator clip or one jumper lead. The current will bypass the solenoid and it will not be damaged. It is posible to modify my unit on the negative side but he considered it to be not worth the effort.

The tech also said that the override facility does need some current in the main battery to activate the solenoid when over riding.

Thanks for your help and thanks to Redarc too.

Kings
FollowupID: 432157

Sponsored Links