camper comparisons

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 14:51
ThreadID: 34505 Views:4050 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
just wondering what the general thoughts are on a 'real' camper trailer - such as the TL8 Camprite, as opposed to a Jayco caravan type camper. Would be used for family with a six and 3 yr old.

I tended to like the TL8 as everything was off the ground, and the camper doesn't require setting up stretcher beds etc for the kids.

not climbing mountains, but some light duty bush work

cheers,

tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 15:23

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 15:23
G'Day Tima,

I'd say that you're comparing apples with oranges to a degree. It realy depends what you're after and how much you want to spend to achieve that. Both have very different pro's and con's and I guess it will come down to individual choice.

My personal opinion would be that a Jayco type camper might be more comfortable the Camprite will probably follow you to more places. etc

Good luck with your choice!
Cheers, Scoey!
AnswerID: 176138

Reply By: Allan3198 - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 15:51

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 15:51
Haven't seen the TL8 in the flesh but looks quite good. I wouldn't buy a Jayco if you are going into rough country as they have been known to rattle apart. Your light duty bush work would probably be OK.

I went to the Melb Caravan Show and are now going to look at the companies that were not at the show like Tambo, Walkabout, Dingo, Trailermade. Different style to what you are after however.

Good luck

Al
AnswerID: 176141

Follow Up By: tima - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 16:01

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 16:01
cheers, I've owned camper trailers previously, but now with family in tow, thought that maybe the caravan style camper (ie; Jayco and other brands) maybe be more comfortable and easier to deal with considering their layout etc. I don't have any real preference over brands as lonf as it suits the purpose, but the TL8 does look good.....

cheers,

tim
FollowupID: 432181

Reply By: Marc - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:09

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:09
stay clear of jayco. 7 outta 10 have problems with the offraod models. shcoks and springs have welds break interior lining moves and cracks offroad. Jayco know about the issues but due to price won't address them yet.
All companies spend $80.00 an hour in labor to build them few $K diffence is in the materials.
Yet to see the TL8 in real life but the specs look good but shop around as a number are now making great campers for 4
AnswerID: 176159

Follow Up By: Alan H - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:25

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:25
I used to have a Goldstream wind up camper and the quality was far better than the Jayco but we sold it as it nearly blew over in a strong wind one night. Never felt really secure after that.

The father of a friend at work had a Jayco and the wires used to wind it up and down broke one night and he had to drag it a hundred klms to be repaired and it took 4 days to fix.
Not a happy chappie as it ruined his holiday.
The Goldstreams wire was about 30% thicker.

Had a van for 4 years but we've have now ordered a Pioneer Argyle Camper and it really looks very strong and will do the job we want. They also do lighter duty campers which can be checked on their website.
They're extremely busy so must be doing something right!
Happy camping.
Alan.

FollowupID: 432195

Reply By: SimonW - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:44

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:44
Hi Tim,
Horse for courses, we saw a family (ages of kids similiar to yours) with a TL8 in Kings canyon last year & it is a quality bit of kit, took them about 15min for a full setup & it is all off the ground with the kitchen on the tailgate, nice bit of kit but that comes at a cost. We earlier this year checked out the Jayco off road range also as we have a little guy & another coming & in our case floor space was high on the priority so we ended up with a Kanga, a quality unit & easy for a single person setup, handy with kids.

Cheers Simon.
AnswerID: 176203

Reply By: G&R - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 22:13

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 22:13
G'day Tim, we have an 8month old bub, and use a Kimberly Kamper. Solid as a rock, goes everywhere the cruiser does, and is quick and easy to setup. Plenty of room inside for a porta cot. I think 2 kids would eaisly fit a bed on the floor. Our young fellar will sleep inside until he is old enough to brave it in a tent of his own! (A few years away perhaps!)

Cheers,

Greg
AnswerID: 176231

Reply By: Jimbo - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:01

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:01
Tim,

We've had a Jayco Outback Eagle (traded up from a flip over tent on trailer type) for seven months (many bush trips) and for your needs:

"not climbing mountains, but some light duty bush work"

It will suit you perfectly. Queen size bed for you and the GLW and a double down the other end for the nippers. A four seater table plus a separate couch. Fridge, stove, griller, 12v lights, water tank etc etc. The table AND couch come in real handy when your stuck inside and it's raining.

You simply won't get the kind of comfort in a "real" camper for the money. The supposed quality issues (shocker mounts etc) were dealt with years ago. We had a few minor warranty issues that were happily fixed by the dealer.

Add a porta dunny, Coleman HWS, shower tent and you've got real comfort in the middle of nowhere. We were away bush a few weeks back and it was bitterly cold and started to rain, so we couldn't sit around the fire. We hopped inside the van, lit up the little gas heater, plugged the laptop into the inverter, watched a movie and had a nightcap or two.

There is no need to be uncomfortable to enjoy the bush.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 176246

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:51

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:51
Likewise Jimbo. We have a brand newie Jayco but the little finch outback. Quality is very good, considering Jayco DO NOT RECOMMEND EXTREME CONDITIONS that a lot of the other brands are made for.

Jayco outback campers are caravan style comfort...EG fridge inside, sink inside, table inside...in other words your outa the sun/wind/rain/dust/mozzies/other peoples eyesight, while cooking, or eating, or playing cards at night, or having your morning coffee, or preparing food, or washing up or.............

BUT

if you want to drag a camper up goat tracks or thru the desert or up to FNQ or thru river crossings, or thru bulldust.... then don't get a Jayco.

All the stuff about quality problems are probably less than one in a thousand that are simply amplified by people on forums like this one who like repeating someone else's horror story, while having little or no first hand experience and basically don't know what they are talking about........
Yes some people have suffered broken springs and /or shock mounts while out there in the yonder, but these were design issues that were changed a few years back.
FollowupID: 432264

Reply By: Lyds- Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:15

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:15
Hey Tim,

I've got a TL8 and luv it.

You can take it anywhere, and as long as the ground is fairly level, you don't care what the ground surface is eg you could set up on the sand, on cement, or in a puddle!

You don't need a peg (unless you put the awning up), and everyone is off the ground.

Its compact for storing in the garage or a smallish area.

Being compact means you have to pack up; I get a bit jealous sometimes of Caravaners who just hitch up (if they have to) and drive off. But it doesn't take too long and I don't get annoyed with it if we're touring and setting up and packing every day.

The other thing is that they don't seal completely, so there's no stopping the bugs.

Where are you?

AnswerID: 176250

Sponsored Links