Rearview cameras

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 16:33
ThreadID: 34509 Views:2979 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
just bought a camera for the troopy off ebay. SHMBO wanted one on the car as well the van, anyway it came with a 9v battery power cable , about 100mm long, but the box said its 12v and the instructions said the power supply must not exceed 12v. Being a nonelectrical person I was not game enough to wire it into the troopy but instead I put a 9v battery into the cable that came with it. and hooked the camer up to video two as per instructions. Can't go wrong as the vidio leads were labeled. Nothing happened. The screen came to life but nothing on it. I checked the battery and it was fully charged. Should I hook the camera up to the car. I have hooked the screen and original camera up to the car(although I can't check the van screen until sunday as the van is now 80km a way.) Thats another story.
Can anyone help.
Regards in desperation Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 16:46

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 16:46
Bob - I've been down the whole path twice now without problems.

I can't imaging why they'd give you a 9-volt battery connector, as every camera and screen I've come across run off 12v. Try them on that - not 9v.

Remember that car alternators output 14vs or thereabouts when charging, so your 12volt-dependent devices either like it or they don't. I wouldn't feel too concerned, but if you are you can get a 12volt-limiting unit from Dick Smiths for around the $10 mark that should help out.

Can you post the original eBay auction number so that we can have a look to see what you thought you were buying? It could only help us understand your problem better.

Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 176151

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 16:47

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 16:47
I just installed a rear view camera I bought off Ebay and agree the instructions are lite on. I connected the camera to the rear 12v power socket and it all works fine.
AnswerID: 176152

Reply By: boo boo - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:18

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:18
The item number in ebay is 4644891419. I found it in car parts and accessories other. Thanks for you help I really appreciate it.
Regards Bob
AnswerID: 176161

Follow Up By: boo boo - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:20

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:20
Sorry fellas, I should have put reply # 3 in follow up
FollowupID: 432193

Follow Up By: boo boo - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:27

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:27
Just went in and had another look at the camera. It says 12v further down the page. The 9v lead led me astray. I presume I can buy a lead with a male connector to go into the camera lead and the other end to connect to a live wire in the troopy. Should I put an in line small fuse in the power cable?
Regards Bob
FollowupID: 432196

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:54

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 17:54
Yep - you should be fine -

* Image sensor : 1/4"
* TVSystem : PAL/NTSC
* Validity pixel: PAL 512*582, NTSC 512*492
* Resolution: 380 lines
* Vertical Sync Frequency: 50Hz /60Hz
* Min illumination: 0 Lux/F1.2 with IR
* Video output: 1Vp- p, 75Ohm
* Power supply: DC 12V, 400ma

BUT - apparently it ONLY works in Jeeps! ;)

"This Infrared, Waterproof and Day/Night Color camera is best for installation at the back of large size cars, such as Trucks, Caravans, Buses, Jeeps, 4WD cars or 7 Seats cars and so on."
FollowupID: 432199

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 18:26

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 18:26
Took us ages to perfect ours (as we tried wireless first which wasn't adequate for caravan but is still fine in car).

We bought 12v kit regulators for each component from Dick Smith shops, as instructions were 12 v no more no less. Very fiddly to make up and easily blown if a drop of solder in the wrong place, but only regulators we could find. The regulator that came with the cameras was faulty (seemed OK in our primitive experience so had it tested by an electronics shop technician - caused us a lot of wasted time trying to find out why it didn't work), but i got no sense or replacement or restitution from Hong Kong re this.

It didn't come to life if power reading dropped below 12 v eg when car not running - try starting car and running it for a few minutes. Needed regulator as power when engine running goes up too high eg 14 v. Polarity is important - get negative and positive wires wrong way round on a join and it won't work. Multi meter essential for all of the above and to ensure you don't wire something up wrong way round and blow the appliance. Our camera brand now comes in 12 v, used to be in 9 v - yours might be similar. I got email support from vendor in Hong Kong for a number of queries we had.

Search the net for help understanding the electronics.

Good luck - you'll be pleased when it all works.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 176172

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 18:35

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 18:35
I fitted one up a few weeks ago and as long as the screen is in it shows a great picture and so clear. Be aware some are 50º spread but I lookd for and found a 90º spread which is wide angle. It shows the ground not far behind Moses rear and above the horizon which is good but things like rear mounted wheels can be a problem.

Mine is marked 12v and after a while it shows yelloow and blue tints which I think would be better with a voltage reduction from the 13.8v to 12v. The screen I use is a Medion DVD player as sold by Aldi that I bought on eBay. It doubles as a bit of entertainment with its great litte battery pack too, supposed to do about 3 hours. Was cheaper than Aldi too where I have a phylisophical difference buying
AnswerID: 176173

Follow Up By: Member - Chris D (Newcastle) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 19:58

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 19:58
John,
Where and how did you mount the camera?
How do you overcome the dust problem at the rear of your truck?
Can you avoid using the 3 hour battery pack, that is, can you just plug in the car 12V to run the DVD player?
Chris Drew
FollowupID: 432226

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 07:24

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 07:24
I got the colour/infrared camera with the 120º wide angle lens. Mines mounted inside the rear window on a small alloy bracket as I was worried about dust on the lens. There is a bit of reflection at night off the window glass from the infra red lights I'm trying to sort out.
FollowupID: 432268

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:17

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:17
Yep, I tried mounting mine inside the rear window too at first. The reflection of the infrared LEDS got on my wick and I moved the whole camera to the roof rack. Was a bit worried initially about dust etc, but it has never been an issue.....that's what that little extra "sun-visor" is for......you place it on a slight angle and it acts the same as one of those dust deflectors some people have on the back of their wagons to keep the dust off their back window/s.
FollowupID: 432273

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:20

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:20
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the MM the other day, pleased you will be getting your outfit soon I bet. I got a holesaw and put a hole through the back. Holesaw was nearly as much as the camera even at Bunnings. I had to cut the hole a little off centre though you hardly notice it. A bit smaller then the hole for your house in the rigpic at 25mm.

The DVD had a lighter type plug and power straight to the DVD or can charge the battery pack separately. It is about the cheapest of the tablet type I have seen anywhere but I have't seen them often on eBay. I used velcro to hold it up on my mounting but it seems to undo the adhesive with heat. Bugga.

Richard, 120º sounds great but I have problems with the wideangle and things catching up awfully quickly. I have been thinking of a camera lense filter to cover mine. I wasn't sure if I needed to go to the infrared camera system as there are always lights as I reverse or nearly always. It will work at 2 lux. My camera was $68 landed and had all the leads to get to the DVD input. I have a diode in the line ready to have it connected to reverse only but currently have a switch in the console for power.

Roachie, good idea on the dust deflector, I was thinking of something like that while away. A drop of water or something does stuffall to the effect of being able to see out but I reckon the stray light would/
FollowupID: 432274

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 19:59

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 19:59
mine stated 9V so wired it up with a regulator from Jaycar that only cost a few bucks. Works fine
AnswerID: 176187

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:48

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:48
Personally, I would sooner spend the extra money and buy locally. At least you get the complete package that works without add ons and would have some sort of guarantee and support infrastructure.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176206

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:59

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:59
Spot on mate.....I've got the Poron (Polaris) and am just adding on the 2nd camera now (on the trailer). Great set-up and just runs off the truck's voltage (anywhere from 12v to 14.4v). Of course they're all MADE overseas, but at least I have a local contact point in the unlikely event anything should happen to go wrong.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 432233

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:17

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:17
Thanks for your help everyone next time I'm in the big smoke I'll go to D Smith and buy what I need to finish the project.
Regards Bob
FollowupID: 432294

Sponsored Links