Rear Window Saver

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:15
ThreadID: 34515 Views:3825 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After one of these for the cruiser,the ones that have velcro tabs that you can remove quickly when not in use.Thought they were sold on here but couldnt find em.Also what prices do they go for.
Cheers All Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:19

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:19
goodday nick
i had mine made up a couple of pieces of thick felt and some velcro sewn on
need somebody who makes boat covers or bits like that as the guy who did mine was in that trade and just used some leftovers

steve
AnswerID: 176190

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 10:30

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 10:30
Look for a perspex company - there is a product called "Tuffek" which is impervious to uv rays - the guy I got mine from sold me a sheet,(cost was only $50 cash) we made a template and cut it to shape bought good quality velcro attached to window and tuffek - works a dream - this was AFTER we paid out $895 for new rear window last year. We got the thinner sort as it was flexible - not many rear windows are dead flat after all.
Warning though, remove it when you are not towing especially if you are in hot weather - the glue on the velcro (no matter what brand) will melt and your protector will slip off. Doesn't happen when you are travelling.
And if you want one professionally made - "obies outback" is the site to see - do them for all standard vehicles I believe. The cost (usually under $200) outweights the replacement cost of rear windows - check them out - some are over $2000 - especially the ones with wipers in the window itself!
FollowupID: 432820

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:22

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:22
A well known member made some for us from heavy duty sheet plastic, with self adhesive Velcro tabs. When it got hot, a couple of stickers on the window came lose - just needed watching and pressing back on. Took them all off easily when we got home. Not too hard to come by more Velcro for next trip. For fitting stuff to the dashboard etc in the car, we have found that Velcro brand stuff stood up to the heat better than the cheaper alternatives. Try your local Spotlight store for plastic, Velcro and a pair of scissors.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 176192

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 22:09

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 22:09
You can mention me.. I aint shy as you know.....LOL

Glad to hear it worked. Mine worked very well and saved my windows on a number of occasions

Cheers
FollowupID: 432250

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 00:06

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 00:06
Hi Willem - Now there's an opening for a business for you. Make them - your first customer is waiting!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 432265

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:54

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:54
Nick

We have one and works well

www.obiesoutback.com.au

www.obiesoutback.com.au/

Richard
AnswerID: 176208

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:27

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:27
Yes,

Also have an Obie's Outback Rear Window Saver. (two atually, large door & small door)

After about 6 months or so, the original velcro strips as supplied "wrinkled" due to contraction and expansion and lost some adhesion due to water/dirt entry.

Simple and cheap solution.
Replaced the velcro strips (hook surface) on the glass with general purpose Velco 20mm Dots (hook surface) and have had no problems at all during the past 12 months or so.

The strips (loop surface) originally attached to the Window Saver are showing early signs of a similar "wrinkling" and I will eventually also replace this with the Velco Dots (loop surface).

My theory is that due to the relatively small surface area of the 20mm dots, they are not affected by changing weather conditions. In any case, it has worked for me.

The Velcro Dots (hook & loop) in either black or white colours are available at most hardware retailers.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176215

Reply By: Garbutt - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 19:13

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 19:13
Get yourself some corflute, which is the corrugated plastic cardboard, I got some from the local recycler for nothing, cut it to shape and fix with velcro or duct tape, I spaced it out from the window about 5 mm with some stick on pads from Mitre5 for about $3, total cost about $10. Works well for me towing CT with Hilux.

GB
AnswerID: 176423

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 20:14

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 20:14
Cheers everyone,will see what I can come up with.
AnswerID: 176438

Sponsored Links