What's level ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 20:33
ThreadID: 34516 Views:1935 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
It can be a bit like asking where's north. There are several answers.

But what is the best test in determining when your wagon is level as determined by the manufacturers specs.

Is the measure of the height from the bottom edge of the wheel rim to the underneath edge of the wheel arch reliable and should all the measurements be the same.

As a back up to all the opinions I'm likely to get here, I might just consult the GU manual to see what they say.

Thanks for the input
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ZUKSCOOTERX90(QLD-MEMBER) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:45

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:45
Cocka,why do you ask?.Have you got a 3 way fidge & you need it level for that?.Cheer's Bob.
AnswerID: 176221

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:50

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:50
We are talking about front to rear. I guess a new vehicle comes off the show room floor level. That might be interpreted that the interior appears flat, even though there may be multiple levels within. Sloping bonnets etc may give a different appearance externally.

Now we start loading bull bars & winches on the front, changing suspensions, tow bars, trailers on tow bars, fridges inside etc, the vehicle now gets pulled up this way & down another way. The spotlights finish up lighting up the tree tops ( yeah, I know I can adjust them), but if set up properly with even weight distribution and adjusted poly air bags, there still has to be a means of easily checking when the vehicle is level or flat.

Why is this important ? Means that the headlights always shine where they are supposed to and the low beam doesn't appear like a high beam to oncoming.

BTW don't even think of mentioning a spirit level.

FollowupID: 432281

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:47

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 21:47
Do you mean level lengthwise or widthwise
They would be set up with a specific suspension height, but that doesn't mean level. I would have thought that most vehicles appear to be slightly "down" at the front.

Now sideways is different and I would reckon on the same measurement for sam axle orientation eg both front wheel height measurements or both rear wheel height measurements.

I used a measurement method similar to your suggested way, (except I measured from the top of the wheel rim to the centre outer edge of the wheel arch) before and after I got a suspension lift.

The lift worked out to be 50mm at front and 75mm at rear and the cross measurement was the same for both front side heights and both rear side heights.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176223

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:25

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:25
See the post above in answer to your Q.
But before you had your susp. lift, was the proportional height difference the same front and rear ?
FollowupID: 432296

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:29

Thursday, Jun 01, 2006 at 23:29
I would have thought "level" would be not having to adjust your headlights !!!!
AnswerID: 176253

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:49

Friday, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:49
Most new vehicles are'nt built 'level'. The front is usually lower then the back.
AnswerID: 176284

Sponsored Links