4.2 GU amsoil

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:00
ThreadID: 34569 Views:2260 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, maybe you can put me right, (low km motor)-if mineral oil is black at change time-re 5000k's, is this not due to unburnt diesel and carbon deposits on the cylinder as opposed to break down of oil? As I understand it this is why oil is black soon after a change? If so, why is the amsoil type product staying clean for so long, does the filtration system work way better? wheres all the black chit going?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:07

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:07
Just because the oil is black, doesn't mean it's contaminated. I just changed my AMSOIL after 34,000klm and I had it analysed every 5000klm by Castrol's laboratory. It was black right from the start.....just like any other oil. However, it didn't stain my fingers if I wiped the dipstick between them...meaning no soot.

The oil was still okay when I changed it, but I erred on the side of caution and decided to change it anyway. The new oil (I've gone down to 5W30 now) hasn't been checked yet (I haven't even pulled the dipstick to check the level after having driven the truck only a few hundred klicks since changing last weekend). I'll do that tomorrow, to check that the level is okay and to see if it's gone black or not.
AnswerID: 176534

Follow Up By: djpatrol - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:23

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:23
What is this oil Amsoil and dose it last longer than the usual 5000k oil change I am Interested as I have a 4.2TD Patrol PLEASE tell me more.
dj
FollowupID: 432621

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:41

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:41
G'day DJ,
I recommend you search the archives............there has been chit-loads of posts, both recent and in the past few years.
Basically, AMSOIL is a yank company that manufactures 100% synthetic oil and various by-pass filtration options (as well as a lot of other grouse stuff!!!).
The synthetic oil on it's own will last longer than normal mineral oil.....but for the kind of klicks between oil changes that I'm talking about (up to 80,000klm is not unknown....and without any harm being done to the motor by all accounts), you really need the full by-pass set-up. Check out:

www.amsoil.com

Happy searching ............

Roachie
FollowupID: 432624

Follow Up By: Exploder - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:45

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:45
Amsoil is from the U.S the guy who started it was EX- Air force or something, the whole aim of the company is to provide the best oil for extended drain intervals and long engine life.

Yes it will last longer and it is better than just about all the other products out there but this is represented by the price of the stuff.

Cheek out( www.amsoil.com )more info about there oil

The Amsoil Vs Mobil one comparison, is interesting to read, it is also worth notating that amsoil get there bases for there syenitic oil from Mobil.

The oil I am looking at using from amsoil is a 10W40 and is good for one year or 25,000 miles and yes that is miles without By-pass filtration in Gasoline engines > Name one other oil company that will recomend this for any of there oils.

With the by-pass system and the right oil you can do well over 30,000k’s on the same oil in your Turbo diesel.
FollowupID: 432625

Follow Up By: Exploder - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:49

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 19:49
Analysed every 5000klm by Castrol's laboratory LOL, Roachie, do they know that are looking at the competitors oil.?
FollowupID: 432627

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:01

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:01
Yes mate.....you have to submit a form with the sample (sent by Aust Post). The form details what brand oil and it's viscosity. How many klicks the oil has done...how many klicks (or hours) the machine has done overall, the brand of machine it's been used in, the "compartment" it's from (eg: engine, gear box, diff etc).
Castrol don't seem too bothered about the oil being a competitor's product.
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 432628

Follow Up By: Member - Miles P (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 05:45

Sunday, Jun 04, 2006 at 05:45
Thanks, it's certainly on the list for me.
FollowupID: 432670

Sponsored Links