Great Australian Bight Tracks

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 18:15
ThreadID: 34570 Views:4505 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I'm planning the July expedition which includes exploring the Bight - hopefully from Streaky Bay to Israelite Bay.

I have the NATMAP 250 maps and was wondering about the track conditions - and in some places - the existence of tracks.

In particular -

1. Yalata around the hugging the coast to the Eyre Hwy - is this possible? Do the traditional owners generally allow it? There is a track on the map. Presumably a permit is required.

2. pull off the Eyre Hwy 10ks East of the border and head towards the cliffs, WIlson's bluff and Delisser Sandhills - is it possible to do it? Is any permit required?

3. Eucla - old townsite to Noonaera Ruins/Rockhole through to the Nuytsland Nature Reserve - presumably along the old telegraph line clearing ... is this allowed and possible. What sort of conditions? Is the track well travelled these days?

4. Eyre Bird Observatory - hopefully to Israelite Bay - I know that's a hell of a long way, but there is evidence of the track "Cleared Line" on the map except for a few trackless areas through dunes.

5. Baladonia to Rawlinna

Thanks for any input - for the record, I'm planning on pulling the camper trailer.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:36

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 20:36
Andrew

We did the track from Esperance to Cape le Grande, Cape Arid, Israelite Bay, along the old telegraph Track, a run up the beach with a wrong tide, up the jumpup at Wylie Scarp, Point Culver, all the way to Baxter memorial and Perpedicular Cliffs and then back to Caiguna last June.

Go to my website www.kempen.id.au ..... then click on 4x4x and scroll down to The Big Trip 2005. I have a diary of events.

The track was rough in places.

There is more to see but it will have to wait for another year.

Cheers
AnswerID: 176551

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 23:28

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 23:28
Thanks Willem,

I think I read an abridged version on exOz ... will go to your site again now!

You're a great read.

Thanks
Andrew.
FollowupID: 432661

Reply By: Mbr - Taz & Milka-Queanbeyan - Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 23:52

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 at 23:52
My brother and a few other 4wd and soft roaders retraced Edward John Eyres route across the Nullabor without ( allegedly ) touching the bitumen however this was approximately 2 years ago.

His wife built a website with all the co-ords in it but unfortunately I can't remember the web address off the top of my head.

If you haven't found the answers to the questions that you seek then Member Message me ( through rig profiles I think) and I will ring my brother and get the two of you in touch via phone or email ).

Cheers.....Taz
AnswerID: 176584

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 22:07

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 22:07
That would have been a tough trip.

Did you find the soak he used at Eyre Telegraph Station?
I found that in '97, it's just behind a large tree near the beach!

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 432952

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 23:03

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 23:03
Sorry MBR - mis read the post
Ask your brother (or wife) :)

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 432957

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:48

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:48
Andrew,
I've done Eyre Bird to Israelite bay a couple of times. Christmas 2000 being the last time. Suggest you check out Eyre Bird's web site, as there are a few rules/requirements to be aware of. As you come back up the dunes from Twilight Cove you may see the Telegraph track on your left, the wire laying on the ground, it was also very eroded with exposed tree roots cris-crossing everywhere. We headed out to the highway and then to Caiguna to dropped down to Baxter’s Cliffs and Baxter’s Memorial and then along the cliff tops to the Jump Up down to the beach and the 80k run along the beach to Israelite Bay. On the Cliffs there are 2 or 3 places with access to the ocean, with good weather the views are spectacular. It is a slow but relatively east run. The old Israelite Bay Telegraph station building I reckon would have been a spectacular building in its heyday. Enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 176970

Sponsored Links