Spare Wheel Carrier

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 07, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 346 Views:1600 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone got any idea which wheel carrier is the best on the market? There seems to be quite a few around does anyone have any experience they can pass on ? I need one for a barn door Landcruiser - right hand opening.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Aug 09, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 09, 2001 at 00:00
John i have a T J M whhel carrier and it would rate as the most useless piece of equipment you could imagine. The latch has been an endless cause of concern, rattles, loosens, and finally the guts fell out and it is now held 'closed' with a piece of rope, rather tricky in the Outback when the wheel tries to pass you and alarms the odd oncoming traffic! The company don't want to know of course and a new latch will cost me $550.00 to replace- fit it yourself. I have been looking at a KAYMAR as a replacement, but can't comment on them- they seem fairly popular if that is anything to go by. Steer clear of TJM whatever you do!
steve
AnswerID: 868

Reply By: RON - Thursday, Aug 09, 2001 at 00:00

John.I have one on my 100 series from OPPOSITE LOCK, it has been on for around 18 months and with 2 simpson desert trips ,one consisting of the Flinders ,Oodnadatta Track, The Painted Desert and Eyres Rock,Alice,Fink ect it has performed with out problems,I also use it as a step to access the roof rack.
AnswerID: 869

Reply By: Shane - Thursday, Aug 09, 2001 at 00:00

Hi John,

If you're in WA, then check out the dual carriers manufactured by K&N Fabrications at Gillam Drive Kelmscott. Very good, sturdy product and at $1580, a lot cheaper that alternatives.

Regards
AnswerID: 870

Sponsored Links