battery charging

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:13
ThreadID: 34626 Views:2474 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all,

Just wanted some advice on charging from a 12volt dc outlet on generator.
Would it be possible to attach a 10amp solar regulator between the 12 volt outlet and battery to elliminate the chance of overcharging the battery. I know that It would be better to use a 240 volt charger, but I want to keep the use of the generator to a minimum, Time wise. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:39

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:39
Put your solar regulator on your 12v outlet on your genny at your own risk ,, 99.9% chance you will stuff the regulator ,,,Steca regulators specificaly advise against doing so with their regulators.
AnswerID: 176785

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:20

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:20
Chris

What generator are you using? If you intend to use the 12V output from a Honda or Yamaha generator then these are not capable of fully charging a battery let alone over charge it. These outputs will however put enough charge into a flat battery to get enough life to start a 4WD motor or get another night out of the battery for a fridge.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 432846

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 14:17

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 14:17
Hi Chris,
K-Mart and I think Super Cheap sell a black box the name of which totally escapes me that converts an old linear battery charger into a 2 stage charger.
I see no particular reason why you couldn't use one of these to charge from the 12 volt outlet on your generator.
Ideally if you are going to spend the money on a regulator put a little more to it and buy a good 240volt 3 stage charger and you can use it at home too. The other bonus is you'll get a lot more than the 8 amps most of these generators spit out.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 176817

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:25

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:25
Hi Rooster,

Most solar regulators short ciruit the current to regulate the flow. Using a solar regulator on the genny would damage the reg and possibly the generator windings.

Rather wire a automotive regulator onto the genny or an aftermarket regulator.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 176895

Sponsored Links