Postie bikers trek desert for Flying Doctors

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:39
ThreadID: 34627 Views:2526 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Info.

Thirty-five adventurers set off on a unique journey across the Simpson Desert today hoping to raise $40,000 for the Flying Doctor.

The group will ride former post office motorbikes from Birdsville in western Queensland to Alice Springs in central Australia.

Organiser Phil Hodgens says the locals think they are mad.

"It's never been done before on postie bikes that we know of," he said.

"We'll be taking Rig Road, which is the easiest road across the Simpson Desert. We've had some warnings it's been badly eroded and the dunes are large and sandy and ... a lot of people are telling us we're not going to get through," he said/

"We're hoping for the best and if the worst comes to the worst, I guess we've just got to get off and push."

Mr Hodgens says he is keen to repay a debt of gratitude.

"A couple of years ago I had a crash on the Gunbarrel Highway in WA and I didn't know anything about the Royal Flying Doctors back then and they came out and picked me up and flew all the way to Perth," he said.

"The whole time I was worrying how much is this going to cost ... but they're a free service and something that we should all support."

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:51

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:51
Good luck to them and I hope they have a safe trip.
The Flying Doctors Service sure is a great organisation.
AnswerID: 176786

Reply By: optimist - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:04

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:04
What fun, how did I miss out on this?
AnswerID: 176792

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:31

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:31
Yeah good on em,should be a blast on Postie bikes.Have owned and thrashed at least 6 posties and there a great little bike.
AnswerID: 176794

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 18:50

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 18:50
Wim,
I had no idea it was a free service. I hope all goes well for them.
Ange.
AnswerID: 176882

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:59

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:59
Hello Wim, they are all here and having lots of fun - really nice bunch of guys from all over Australia hoping to have even more fun and do something good for the RFDS. They are up at the Birdsville Bakery tonight having a big BBQ and they'll be up early for a fuel-filling breakfast here (at 6:30 a.m. - in the dark) so they can get started on their adventure.
They've been out to Big Red today to 'give it a go' - much hilarity. They are all taking boxes of matches so when they've hard enough trying to conquer the Desert they can pour the excess fuel over the postie bike and set fire to it!!!! Ha haha - just joking.
Should be photos in tomorrow's Courier Mail and the ABC's Matt Wordsworth is also riding a posite bike and should do some TV stories, I believe.
Weather is fine and clear, with very sneaky cold wind - ice on swags in the Desert - about 5 degrees expected in the a.m. (this weather should remain like this for weeks - wouldn't know what rain is like anymore). Went to the Old Causeway for a look today and discovered the Diamantina River has shrunk again - just still flowing under the Causeway.
Wim, I owe you - thanks. Love the label.
AnswerID: 176905

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:01

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:01
Hi Ruth.

Hope you and Ian enjoy the fish. ;-)

All the very best.

Wim
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 432972

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:35

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:35
Lets just hpe they will not need the help they are trying to support !

Good luck to all those brave maniacs : )
AnswerID: 176933

Sponsored Links