Straun Tyre deflators

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:00
ThreadID: 34631 Views:6023 Replies:14 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard a lot about these things, but are they really worth the money? and do they work effectively to warrant the $65.00 or more a set price tag. What if they fail can you fix them or they a toss away item?

Or is it just another gadget to have.

Not knocking them just after opinions is all. If they seem worth it i may bet a set as i will be doing a lot of sand driving next year.

Thanks

Brian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:05

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:05
I got a set as a xmas prezzie ages ago and have mine set to 20psi. Once set, you just wrap some sparky's tape around the top so people doen't fiddle with them and then when you get to the beach, just 2 laps around the truck and your tires are all pretty much set to the desired pressure.

Not a lot that can go wrong with them really either!

I know a bloke who has two sets, one set at or about 18psi and the other set at or about 10psi or something low like that. Both sets wrapped in different coloured tapes so it makes getting the right pressure idiot proof!

Cheers
Scoey!
AnswerID: 176800

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:06

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:06
I forgot to say that as I got them as a prezzie I reckon they're top value! :-) If I was paying for them I prolly wouldn't buy them as a priority and probably only if I was a bit flush with $$$. Biot of a luxury really! ;-)

Cheers
Scoey!
FollowupID: 432842

Reply By: Member - Stephen L- Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:18

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:18
Hi Brian,
If you do sand or other driving that requires the lowering of tyre pressures, then they are the only way to go. You can get them in either 2 or 4, I went for the 4. They are very easy to adjust for your own tyre pressure requirements. Once you place them on your valvue, they will drop the tyre pressure to what you have them set to. It takes forever to manually deflate each tyre and continually checking with a tyre gauge. I have two set for the front tyre pressure and 2 for the back. By the time you have got them all in place, you can bet that the first one that you started with will be ready to take off. I give them a 10 out of 10 for sheer time and money.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 176802

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:21

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:21
Brian,

It may depend on how many times you need to deflate your tyres when venturing off road. When you need to "air down" 6 tyres (including trailer) to a desired level, then YES, they are worth the investment.

Some people set two of the set of four to say, 28 psi for dirt/gravel roads and the other two to say, 18 psi for sand.

I have two sets for the above conditions and have colour coded them with blue (28 psi) and red (18 psi) dots.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 176804

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:26

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:26
I have a set but I use a twig off the side of the road more often
AnswerID: 176808

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:45

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 13:45
Hi Brian,
I have a set that where given to me as a gift.
I initially wasn't overly convinced of their value but thought, "bugger it I'll give them a go"
I set two of the four to 16psi and the other two to 28psi, beach and bush.
After setting I painted one set green, 28psi and the other set red, 16psi. This not only tells me which is which it stops them from being adjusted, sort of like a seal.
I use the lower pressure set sometimes twice a week, living in Newcastle I spend a fair bit of time fishing on Stockton Beach.
Just pile out with the two red ones in hand, wack them on a wheel each. By the time you've got the other two caps off it's time to move the Staun's.
Would I buy another set if I lost these? Yep, once they are set they are way quicker and far more convenient than a calibrated stick and a gauge.

Wonder if I could make a set of inflators? Sort of like reverse Staun's, connect them to the stem and inflate to a preset pressure!!

Geoff.

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 176814

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:32
We actually thought about that, it'd be a great idea. You have a hose that plugs into your compressor that has a blow off valve set to say 40psi. then after the valve you have 4 seperate hoses that attatch, one for each wheel.

So basically you plug the hose into your compressor, then connect a hose to each tyre and go have a sit down on you camp chair while the system automatically pumps all 4 tyres to EXACTLY the same pressure. You'll know when it's done cos it'll go PSSSSSSH! Then you take them all off, pack it away and head off.

But back to the stauns. I have two set to 16psi for beach and two set to 29psi for gravel etc. Bloody ripper's and with all the sand here in WA I'd never leave home without em'!

Now if somebody wants to steal my idea and make a million dollers from it, that's fine, just make sure you Message me for my address to send me my free one! :-P
FollowupID: 433010

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:46

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:46
Jeff,
Some months back somebody on here announced they'd bought a compressor from Mitre10 for $10.
The price wasn't the thing that interested me or the compressor. It was the fact you could dial in an electronic shutoff pressure for the compressor.
I went to the local Mitre10 for a look, nothing to be found. My thoughts were for $10 bucks I could toss the compressor because the real value is in the pressure sensors and the cutouts, attach it to something useful and have what you talk about.

I'll still keep my eye open for one.

Another thing I found recently is the Doof Doof brigade have access to some really powerful 12 Volt compressors, the ones they use in the air suspension. Vehicles like those 2wd Hilux's that resemble a blue cattle dog with worms, the ones with their ar$e dragging on the ground.

See, Compressors

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 433017

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:28

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:28
I am a lazy guy and anything that makes my life easier works for me. I have only used mine 3-4 times for beach work but by the time I finish putting on the 4th one the first one is nearly done.

I think they are great and well worth it
AnswerID: 176829

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:34

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:34
They're not worth it if they come with a subscription to 4x4 Monthly!
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

AnswerID: 176832

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:58

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:58
G'day Brian
Just another toy. We all manged just fine for yonks without them. Some of us still do. It just doesn't take that long to air down.
If you do get them make sure you install them correctly. Had a funny fine at our club meeting recently. A member apparently had a new set and did something wrong because when he came back from whereever he went whilst waiyting for them to do their thing, he found 4 very flat tyres! He did say that his brand new compressor worked a treat!
AnswerID: 176837

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:47

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:47
In defence to the product (which I have no association with) I doubt this was the case. The Deflators come preset to either a low, medium, or higher pressure.

I believe the lower ones work from 6-30 psi and come preset to 18 psi.
Maybe these ones were the set the member had, or maybe he changed the settings and "screwed them up".

They are actually quite accurate and easy to adjust to whatever level you desire.

You know that old saying:- "A poor tradesman blames his tools"
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 432975

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:24
Sand Man - I did say "he did something wrong" - I didn't say the items were faulty or at fault. There were plenty of witnesses to the 4 flats so yes "it was the case". Actually he didn't blame his tools - he blamed his mate who had something to do with installing them for him. Perhaps it was just a "got ya" type of thing. What he obviously did wrong was to let his mate do it for him! I have no doubt the deflators work well as attested to by those who responded to this post.
FollowupID: 432979

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:44

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:44
G'day Brian,

We have a set and they are great. We are on sand every few weeks and usually towing our camper trailer so they work for us.

Yep you can survive without them but if you have them and they are set up right (which is dead easy) then they make the whole job of airing down a lot quicker and easier.

Ours have never failed on us and I haven't heard of anyone who has had this happen either, so from my perspective they seem quite reliable.

Have a good one.
AnswerID: 176856

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:55

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:55
I have used someone else's set on their car and they work very well.....but for me..... nup. I don't mind getting out and making the adjustments - I spend too long behind the wheel anyway.... and ......I vary the pressures to suit the occasion (front and back, plus the trailer may all vary a bit) - it would be ok if you could quickly dial the pressure for each use - if its semi-fixed, too much bother for mine.
AnswerID: 176858

Follow Up By: Jimbo (WA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:44

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:44
Darian,

sounds like what you need is athing called a "Ferret rapid tyre Deflation Tool" - or just ferret. And I don't mean the kind that run up ya leg.

This thing just screws on to your valve, and then you unscrew the centre piece which removes the valve core - but keeps it trapped inside the tool - and lets air out at exactly 1 psi per second. This makes it really easy to set any pressure you want.
FollowupID: 432901

Follow Up By: Lorne - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 16:26

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 16:26
Jimbo
I have one of those ferrets and they are the best, far better than the stauns. Really simple, I know they're not auto like the stauns but you can go down to any psi you want. Really do you have to have excact tyre pressure, who is going to know, your traction will soon tell you. I got mine in WA last year at the show, wish I had bought more as us QLD'ers can't seem to get them here. I live a minute from the beach and are using the ferret all the time. How much are they selling for now?, and where can I get more.

Lorne...........
FollowupID: 433064

Follow Up By: Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 20:49
Suggest the "exactness" of the pressure is an issue in some cases, especially when you get right down to the bottom setting.... under 15psi for example, you are in the zone for popping the tyre off the rim if not taking care how you drive. If the tyre was 15psi when hot for example, and it then it got cold while you were doing something else, you might return and then scoot off closer to 10-12psi - swing the wheel hard and the tyre is in great peril I'm told.
FollowupID: 433106

Follow Up By: Jimbo (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:59

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 21:59
Lorne,

Try this number if you want some more - 0407 383 785 - the last time I noticed a price it was $25.

usual disclaimer - I have no interest in this organisation etc etc............

FollowupID: 433121

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:20

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:20
Hi Brian,

They are worth the money and the new ones deflate very quickly.

I have one set for the car and one set for the van.

Why not pop in to the show this week and have a looksee.

If only we could re-inflate the tyres just as fast. (I am working on this !)

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 176894

Follow Up By: Lorne - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 22:18

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 22:18
Hi Derek
I will be at the show on the weekend, I'll make a point of seeing you.

Lorne............
FollowupID: 433130

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:08

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:08
I have 2 sets and I reckon that if you do any beach work or other serious off road stuff they are just great. The proof for me is letting them down one time on the Fraser barge (normally do this before I get on) but had the car and trailer ran around screwing them on and then off all this time some guy was watching me and he didn't agree with even letting the tyres down to start with. It gave me great pleasure to tow the trailer past him struggling in the sand.

Mine are accurate and it is comforting to be able to just screw them on and knowing they'll stop at 18 psi. Its not a lot of money for this useful tool (got the last set via a mag give away).

Kind regards
AnswerID: 177003

Reply By: Sarg - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 22:49

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 22:49
Definitly YES . Wouldn't be the first time I've helped some DH out that's lost his valve core in the sand while deflating a tyre. As said previously, by the time you do the rounds ,the first tyre is down to pressure & so forth. Not even time for a can while you're doing it.
AnswerID: 177126

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 23:15

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 23:15
I have a set & use a twig. They are a pain in the ar$e to set to a pressure, when you set them up as per the instructions, then double check them, you will the pressure varies considerably.
When I spoke to the manufacturer about it, he said "that can happen, send them back & we will factory set them to your requested pressure" seemed ok, but the catch was, it was far from a free service.
AnswerID: 177130

Sponsored Links