sundown national park

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 14:09
ThreadID: 34633 Views:2809 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
gday all,

anybody been to sundown via the north eastern access recently ?? i hear it is sposed to be pretty nasty. i drive an 04 challenger, standard except for coopers atr's and bullbar with spotties. still pretty new at this stuff, is it do-able do ya think?

regards

chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddies Doe(Trippn) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 14:43

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 14:43
Hi Harry

I was there over a year ago, if that helps It's rough going in and out with some good patches if you're talking of the Ballandean side of entry to the park? It took us a good hour and a half to get from the self registering box to Burrows W/hole, that from memory was about 14-17 klms. There are different camping places within the park but Burrows w/hole is one of the nicer places to camp next to the creek.There was only pit toilets also. Do remember to get local advice about what the weather is doing before you go into the park. It only has to rain a bit and you could find yourself in there for a few days longer. Also you'll need to be self sufficient and what you take, in you take out. It's a good place to try your 4WDing skills out on. Going in and out can be safely done in a day.
Good luck and enjoy.
Site Link
or
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications/p00144aa.pdf/Sundown_National_Park.pdf

I can't wait to take Muddy there oneday!

Cya
:)
AnswerID: 176823

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:51

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 15:51
G'day Chris
"I hear it is sposed to be pretty nasty" - just very rocky. Let your tyres down some and it will be a lot more comfortable. You should be able to get in and out without too many hassles with a bit of common sense. Take it easy.
AnswerID: 176835

Reply By: Member Rough it - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:19

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:19
Hi Chris
You can get down into Burrows W/hole camping area and out, just take your time, but if your going further on into Rat Castle it will get alot harder. The river crossings are ok "a standed gu patrol will scrape on rocks in river crossing , have 2" lift kit and 285/75X16 tyres and have no problems". If your do no have diff locks take the road to the left, but if you do have diff locks try the road to the right at Rat Castle. Best of luck.........................................
Regards Rough-it
AnswerID: 176844

Reply By: Batboy - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:20

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:20
gidday chris

i would have been in there about 2 months ago. Good spot and pretty isolated if you get to burrows. Long weekends may be a different story though.

Easy trip in just very bumpy and slow with some sharp rocks so might be a good idea to carry an extra spare. There is a loop track around Rats castle which is a good drive with only one section which may catch the challenger out. The track crosses the creek about 6 times all easy and shallow however the track does get narrow in places which may scratch the challenger.

It is a trip I would do on my own in a challenger but would take an extra spare or carcass. Be much better with another vehicle though, then you could do Rats castle and take the alternate track out of the park

Jim

AnswerID: 176845

Follow Up By: youngharry52 - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:40

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 16:40
thanx very much guys.
sounds a bit scarey for a newbie. where does the alternate track from the park go to? is it the one out through broadwater? do u really think it would b easy enuff to the burrows campsite? how far from burrows to rats? would it be a good walk?
hope u dont mind all the questions, but it spose its better to cautious than too brave ......
FollowupID: 432889

Follow Up By: Batboy - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 17:51
Alternate track is just another way back to the ballandean entrance, a lot harder and a lot more interesting..
If you look at a map of the park it is the northern part of the loop nearest the park entrance.

Yuo could walk along the river towards Rats castle from Burrows which would be interesting but more of a hike if you wanted to go around we walked up river for a bit which was interesting.

Getting to Burrows really is easy but rough. The last part of the track down is a bit chewed up where people have got crossed up but smart driving will see you with no probs getting back out. Put it this way- I would tow my camper into burrows.
Driving a GQ

Not the best spot for newbies learning the ropes but if you wanna just get bush and don't need to go driving around once you get there great. Its a nice feeling once you have set up camp and know that if anybody wants to upset your peace and quite they have to be prepared to travel for nearly 2 hours along a bumpy rocky track to do it!.

best bet is to get a map of the park and have a look Pretty sure Hema does one
my advice: You being new to 4wding I would take friend. Its a long way out if you need help. Challengers seem to be a pretty good vehicle in the right hands but you may do some damage around rats
FollowupID: 432904

Reply By: Baggy - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:56

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:56
Chris
I was there in January accompanied by a friend in a bog-standard Pajero. He found it a bit slippery on some of the steep uphill rocky bits but managed to do the whole trip, including the alternate road, without damaging anything other than his side steps.
Hope this helps
Regards
Little Briney

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 176903

Reply By: guzzi - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:47

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:47
Chris yep its do-able.
I did it on the queens birthday long weekend last year in a rodeo dual cab.
It is slow, rocky going, to Burrows around 2 hrs for 17km..
Rats castle is an interesting loop, fasinating amount of round boulders in the river at one crossing and a very interesting stepped rock shelf type crossing near Rats, a good drive. Apparently very difficult if it has water over it.
The Rodeo had no problems with any of this, where I did come unstuck or rather failed to proceed was coming out of the other camp ground before burrows (turn right at the fork at the top of the hill going in to burrows), just couldnt keep enough wheels on the ground thru the dugouts from "Real " 4wds and huge tyres, the down hill section on compression and low 1st with variable traction was also quite "memorable ", the word tobboggan comes to mind.
As mentioned above do it with a mate in another vechicle, members in our group had to skull drag a very suddenly 2wd hilux with 2 very unprepared females ( no food ,water, map, recovery gear,radio, no idea) about 8 kms so they could drive out in 2wd,just before dark.
Be prepared for tyre damage, I trashed 2 cooper STT's at 25psi, just ripped the lugs off to the steel belt, 2 other vechicles in our group also had flats, funnily enough both on the smooth section of track about 4 km from the balandean gate.
I had a good weekend regardless and learnt a lot.
Pete
AnswerID: 176919

Reply By: tex1972 - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:20

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:20
Been there heaps pretty rocky but we got around the place in a bravo of all things. I grew up about 30km as the crow flies from there and this time of year it will be bloody freezing (-7 the other morning). Long weekends and holidays it will nearly always be booked out. Shouldn't be much water in the river pretty dry up there at the moment.Another thing grab your wood on the drive in the campsites are picked pretty clean.Hema does a map and chainsaws and gensets are banned.

Tex
AnswerID: 176929

Reply By: stevesub - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:00

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:00
Been there 2 weeks ago in the Troopy (standard and AT tyres)and agree with all comments. The loop track has one nasty bit and the bypass (chicken) track is not much better. We kept standard tyre pressures - uncomfortable but did no damage.

Saw a RAV4 near the camp ground with a couple of worried people in it - not a good place to be in a RAV4but with a higher clearnace vehcile, no problems. We were with a standard Disco who had no problems on road tyres.

If you do the loop, take another vehcile with you but you will be OK on the main track to the camp by yourself. THe alternate track may be a bit hard if you have no experience and is also scratchy.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 176955

Sponsored Links