Flexiglass Challenge Canopies

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 19:18
ThreadID: 34649 Views:7289 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Could any readers give me a review on the subject brand of canopies. Looking at fitting one to my Nivara D40.

Regards,

Macca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:03

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:03
macca ,
I have got one sitting in the back yard that suits a triton tray back.I had it on the triton for 8 months and found it very handy for camping, carrying tools, furniture, and any thing else the family wanted. I only took it of the triton because I gave the car to my son and bought a troopy. They are a good canopy and I would recommend them.
Regards Bob
AnswerID: 176906

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 23:46

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 23:46
Personally, after a lot of research I went for the TJM

I am assuming your Navara is a pickup style ute rather than a tray.

The TJM won for many reasons.

1. Flush mount side window catches. Nothing for thieving pricks to get a grip on to try and pull the window open. (And the T handle ones are pretty easy to force if they've only got the mild steel tabs on the back of the handle.)

2. Only one T handle driving locking rods on the back. Some of the above reasoning (rod is harder to bend and especially if the force isn't being applied at the lateral aspect of the window,) and also the fact that I don't have to lock two handles.

On that topic locking canopies is a PITA. If you can reduce the number of locks required go one with less locks.

3. The TJM one has a drop down window between cab and canopy so you can clean the complete inside of the gap between cab and canopy. On the ones with a sliding hatch between canopy & cab you can only clean what you can reach - which is more if you have really small hands and skinny arms otherwise it's not very practical.

What ever you do, get on that has two lift up side windows. Sliding side windows are a major pain. So much so that even though it cost me a bucket load of cash (over $400 rather than the $120ish that it would have cost if I had done it initially) I changed the one slider I had for a lift up window after 2 years of being really annoyed by it. I don't regret changing, I just wish I'd ordered it that way at first.

I also fitted a roof vent (pop up flap style) to mine to pressurise the cab and keep the dust out which works well.

Hope this helps,

Dave
AnswerID: 176944

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:10

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:10
I've got a mate whose got a Flexiglass on his but he reckons it leaks at the back and the locks are a bit dickie.
AnswerID: 177005

Reply By: Chris & Jody (Golden Bay) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 00:36

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 00:36
Macca,

We had Nissan quote to fit an ARB canopy on our Navara ST-R when we bought it new and they then went and fitted a Flexiglass one.
1) Was not what we had asked for.
2) Did not close properly on the back, leaving big gaps around the edge.
3) Color did not properly match the car.
4)We were not happy!

After a few calls from irate customers (us) Nissan agreed to change the canopy to an ARB as was originally quoted. Great canopy, fitted and sealed, color matched exactly.
Have recently seen another brand of canopy that looks even better than the ARB. Shop around, and check out the local shopping centre car parks as you will see them everywhere. See what you think looks best and works well.

Good luck,

Chris
AnswerID: 177357

Sponsored Links