Camper Question

Submitted: Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 20:28
ThreadID: 34656 Views:3048 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all!

We're looking at upgrading from a tent-on-trailer camper to a jayco camper trailer. We've looked at a few now, but not sure which way to go and looking for any Jayco experience that might be out there...

We're looking at some of the older models (1985+) with the possibility of doing it up. We've generally been looking at the Swan and Finch models.

Anyone have any advice on which way to go, in terms of models (were then any that we should steer clear of?). Also, some are wind up and others lift up...any suggestions on the better system? Finally, anything to look out for on an older camper?

Thanks in advance of your suggestions...it never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge there is out there...

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Circle - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:18

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:18
we're also looking at the Jayco Flight model...havent seen many around but they seem cheaper than some other Jayco models...
AnswerID: 176928

Reply By: Marc - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:27

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:27
only go for the wind up. The lift type get hard work after a few days of up and down and any wind makes it even harder. Just check the welds around the spring mounts as they have been known to crack and break off (on most models)
AnswerID: 176931

Reply By: Blackie - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:33

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:33
I reckon the Finch is just a bit too small even for two.But then i guess that depends on what you're intending to do with.
The yahoo jayco forum has a thread on doing up a Dove i think.
AnswerID: 176932

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 23:46

Monday, Jun 05, 2006 at 23:46
Finch is the smallest of the current range.
Swan is second from biggest, and to be honest there is a big difference between the two.

Finch has 2 double beds [ 4 ft wide ]. We have this model and we chose it for ease of towing, both on and off road, having the shortest wheel base and the lightest tare weight.

The queen sized bed [ 5 ft wide ] at the front of the next size up [ dove ] would have been a better choice, and is one reason we have decided that we will upgrade sooner rather than later. The swan has the queen bed at both ends and it's overall length is quite long, which means heaps of room inside compared to our little finch, but a bit heavier.

Still, with the the finch we can get all the gear that 2 people need in ours with room to spare!

Check out www.jayco.com.au/ click on >jayco RV's then >floorplans

If you are slender in build and there is only two, check out the penguin. A very handy set up, as there are no bed ends to pull out. Just wind up and get in.

Geez, do I sound like an ad for these things or what?

Jayco have not made a "push up" model for a while, AFAIK !
Get the shockie and spring mounts checked, as some were weak and poorly designed. These designs were fixed around 2000.
AnswerID: 176946

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:16
Another thing to look at are the clamps that hold the top down while towing.

We did a trip down the darling a few years ago and a mate towing a jayco had one break off. The rivets pulled out and the hook on the top section let go and dissappeared. Luckily he was travelling pretty slowly at the time but the wind did start to lift the top, had he been at highway speeds it could have been quite spectacular. It was an easy fix but it could have been messy.

His was a mid 80's Swan but I suspect it woiuld apply to all models.

Duncs
AnswerID: 176990

Reply By: Chris & Jody (Golden Bay) - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 00:24

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 00:24
We have the Jayco Eagle Outback, being the offroad version and its great. No major problems yet from our first 5 or 6 adventures, just a few small teething ones . We travel with 2 boys and 2 dogs. Room for the whole family with comfort compared to the tent we have been using for the last few years. Would never look back.
Not sure about the lift up as ours is wind up but the wife can put ours up in about 15 minutes by herself if she has to. I probably wont ever see that happening again apart from the test runs we had at home.
Dont rush into it and look at all that are available, even interstate, as this will give you a better idea on prices and quality. We found private sellers to be a better option than the yards, but sometimes you can pick up a bargan at a yard. Good time of the year to be looking.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Chris
AnswerID: 177355

Reply By: fc_holden - Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 21:34

Thursday, Jun 08, 2006 at 21:34
We looked at the jayco swan for quite a while and was just about to buy one whn we discovered the coromal shiloutte pioneer (offroad version); much the same layout as the jayco but also has a push out kitchen which may not sound much but it certainly increases the room inside.
Long story short we bought a coromal 391; it's chassis is avery heavy duty version and the fibreglass body has already proved its strenght when on our first trip we where rammed up the rear by a commodore and a rodeo unit; result was one written off commodore and rodeo and a couple scratchs on the campers rear bumper bar and a torn wheel cover.

as i said check out the whole market and don't just limit yourself to jayco.

Good Luck
Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 177538

Sponsored Links