road conditions between borooloola and the roper river...NT

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 05:36
ThreadID: 34664 Views:3628 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i am pleased to hear that the road is sealed all the way from barkly homestead up to borooloola, but if i am travelling from borooloola northwest up to the roper in a 4wd towing a trailer during the next month, what sort of road can i expect ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 14:08

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 14:08
That road from Barkly Homestead to Borroloola has been sealed for a while. It was sealed when I went along there in 1970 in a Renault.

I haven't done the Roper Road for a while but in the dry season there are quite a few creek and river crossings but nothing much more than half wheel depth. Depending on when last the road was graded there may or may not be corrugations. It is quite a nice and scenic drive and should present no problems. There is some bitumen again from Roper Bar....it may even be sealed all the way to the Stuart Hwy by now.
AnswerID: 177022

Reply By: friar - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 16:00

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2006 at 16:00
Russ36 just returned from limmen bight river,still a few creeks running about wheel depth, some boggy sections along by nathan river ranger station, road generally pretty good,in a couple of weeks you will have no trouble at all,the differance in 2weeks compared to going in to limmen bight,where nealy every vehicle needed assistance in the boggy sections,was not a problem on way home,vehicles coming from roper bar reported no problems.
AnswerID: 177047

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 12:02

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 12:02
Began to travel from Roper Bar to Boorooloola at the end of the dry season a couple of years back. Lasted 10 km and turned back via Daly Waters to Boorooloola using the Carpenteria Hwy. Figured I had a few hundred km to go of the same after flagging down a passing LC who advised the road got worse in some parts....

The corrugations were some of the worst I have ever experienced besides Ningaloo Station. Max speed in some parts was 30 kph. Shook the absolute Sh!@ out of the car no matter what speed you did. Loosened the strap holding a spare on the roof rack which ended up dropping onto the windscreen...wasn't that a surprise..and only at 25 kph.

A 100 series did his first tyre in the first 10 km! Met up with him again in Boorooloola and he had done 3 all up!

They said it had just been graded...appartently the dribe the grader as fast as they can with the blade taking the tops of the corrugations! Could be an urban myth.
AnswerID: 177204

Follow Up By: Rojac - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 21:29

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 21:29
Drove it in a hq panel van, did three tyres and cracked the fuel tank through the corrugations, but still made it through after temp repairs.

Problems...a challenge to break the monotony.
FollowupID: 434018

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:05

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:05
Russ,

We travelled this road a couple of years ago (August/September) and it was ok. We enjoyed the drive. There are river crossings but nothing too hard. It was corrugated and rough in places but we had no problems. How good it is depends on how the recent wet season has affected things and when the grader has been over it. Like I said, we enjoyed it and hope to do that trip again one day.

Viv
AnswerID: 177877

Reply By: russ36 - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 16:31

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 16:31
thanks to all 4 takeing the time!....russ
AnswerID: 178091

Sponsored Links