Holden Rodeo new V6 - electrical cooling fan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:49
ThreadID: 34693 Views:4862 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi community,
anybody out there who has more performance details for single electrical engine cooling fan? I'd like to find Wattage and fan dia. I'm sure some aftermarket folks already had a look at the fan too for performance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:43

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:43
Are you referring to the engine or radiator fan..? If so changing to Electric wont make a huge difference in performance and you also run the risk of no knowing if the fan has failed or not working. By removing the belt driven fan load you reduce the engine load minimally but is it worth the risk.? Mechanics I know have always recommeded against electric fans, some enthusiasts use them, but I don't know too many daily drivers that have them. IMHO
AnswerID: 177197

Follow Up By: Lotte - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:14

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:14
Thanks for the answers. I was actually after the technical performance data for the electrical cooling fan(kw and airflow). Knowing the advantage of massive airflow and water fording capability of a mechanical belt driven fan I wonder how Holden actually now caters for pitfalls on the new V6 with electrical fan. First of all they use one electrical fan instead of dual and still allow a Gross Combined Mass of 4900kg and secondly there must be some kind of antistall control when going through water and not blowing fuses. Don't be fouled by parasitic losses for mechanical fans they go up to 5-6KW on the fan drive shaft and a lot of that does acually end up in visco clutch.
FollowupID: 433782

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 14:00

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 at 14:00
I have read on another forum of blokes going to electric then reverting back to belt driven as they dont pull the air through as much as the originals and you also have the chance of it blowing a fuse if the connections get wet and as said above you would not know wether it is working or not untill it was possibly too late which as we all know would result in big $$$ for a blown/ cracked /warped head, or total loss of motor.If it has a fluid coupling fan on it it should cut in and out as required as it detects the heat coming through the radiator on the little spring in the centre of the coupling it will lock in pull the air through then unlock when enough cooling has been required after that it is just free wheeling which would be virtually no resistance on motor power wise. Unless you are talking about the condensor fan infront of the radiator for your air conditioning, but then I would go genuine or at least have a bracket made (if its after market) so that the fan is not sitting against your condensor, otherwise it wont take long for the vibration to cause a hole in the condensor. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 177223

Sponsored Links