Triop East of Kalgoorlie & Victoria Spring

Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 01:31
ThreadID: 34752 Views:4348 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We (three vehicles with camper trailers) left Perth on Thursday morning and had a leisurely drive to Karalee Rocks (east of Yellowdine) This is a really well maintained camping spot and well worth an overnight stop with a bit of history to look at.

On Friday drove in to Kalgoorlie and met up with some friends – visited the viewing area of the Super Pit – incredible viewing and a “must see”. After a pleasant lunch in Kal and a drive around the town we headed out the Yarri Road and camped in the bush overnight.

On Saturday drove out on the Kurnalpi Road (proceeded to get lost on the track to Hunt Pinnacles) ended up back on the Yarri Road and camped at Old Pinjin. The early settlers really did it hard. (Does anyone know the history of this homestead – appears to have been abandoned about 50 years ago – There is a grave there and what looks like a huge swimming pool??)

On Sunday we headed off to look at the “new” Pinjin. At first we did not realize that this was also abandoned. We spend several hours looking around at the old homestead and the disused Anglo Saxon mine at the rear of the homestead. (Again, does anyone know the history of this place?) The road signs are very limited out this way, and some of the correct tracks would be VERY hard to find without clear instructions or a good GPS. We headed on to Victoria Springs where we spent Sunday Night and Monday as well. The dogs were very surprised when they went for a drink in the morning and found they were licking ice!

Just past the Doggers Camp near Kirgella Rocks a stubborn Camel held us up - had no intention of leaving the track – he kept strolling along at a gentle trot and would not let us pass. In the end, one of had to circle around him on foot and herd him back toward the vehicles where he kindly decided to be unsociable and wander off the track and let us pass.

On Tuesday we left Victoria Springs and traveled south through to Cundeelee to Zanthus (Looks like some work is being done at Cundeelee in restoring and cleaning up several of the buildings.) At Zanthus we looked at the wrecked carriages of the Indian Pacific (many years old?) We were treated to a surprise when one of the passing freight trains threw us Tuesdays “West”. On Tuesday night we camped 50 meters from the railway line at Ponton Creek (About 25kms from Zanthus) We were treated to about 8 trains in the evening and early morning.

On Wednesday we continued south via Zanthus and Harris Lake and Fraser Range Station to the Eyre Highway and on to Norseman. The drive from Zanthus to the Highway passed through some great country (we did call Fraser Range to clear the track condition) On Wednesday night (with threatening rain) some of the group headed off home to Perth while other camped near Norseman and continued on to the Holland Track.

The only vehicle problem was the 100 Series left hand front wheel nuts coming loose on the Nippon Highway (whoever named that track a Highway must have been delusional)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 06:11

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 06:11
Pinjin was the aboriginal name of a rock hole in the area, the station and the mine took their names from that.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 177587

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:35

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:35
Must have just missed you at the spring Trekkie.
Sounds like we left just before you got there

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 177619

Follow Up By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 21:51

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 21:51
Equinox, we went off the main roads on several occasions and I figured you had passed us sometime on Saturday - maybe catch up another time - did you enjoy the trip
FollowupID: 433877

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:36

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:36
You did well to find the old pinjin station. It is a concrete pool in the corner of the block- one of the few holes around that doesnt have a rotting emu carcass in it. A sandalwood cutter led us there and said that it was abandoned by its owners- I dont recall for what reason though. Apparently it is 150 years old but has had continuous improvements to it- Metal conduit, the steel beer can walls, corro and galv sheets...
The new pinjin station was built by the government and given to the Goldfields Aboriginal Corporation, who deserted it not long after. Im sure you saw the countless busted windmills and tanks around. The surrounding stations have functioning facilities and appear to still be in use, but pinjin is a wreck. The roads are maintained by the menzies shire.
A number of companies have had positive exploration results at and around pinjin but the place seems mostly abandoned. There are some surrounding mines that still function, but they seem to be closing down and being stripped out.
AnswerID: 177632

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 15:48

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 15:48
For those that are interested Old Pinjin is marked on the 250K Natmap, 250K Geology maps, Hema Great Desert Tracks SW map and on Westprints SW Desert map (sort of).

GDA94/WGS84 coords (according to feds)
30.222120°S
122.528423°E

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 433823

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:49

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:49
Wasnt it abandoned because of unreliable water source nearby Ben?
FollowupID: 436265

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 20:28

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 20:28
Hi Trekkie

how did you get a long with permits for the run down from Victoria Springs to Cundeelee?

and what was the track like?

Sounds like it was a good trip

Richard
AnswerID: 177868

Follow Up By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 01:47

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 01:47
Hello Richard
It was a great trip - I would not suggest doing it in any shorter time than we did. I applied on line for the Permits. Their Web allows the permits to be printed (I assume I got it correct) Have a look at www.dia.wa.gov.au.
Some of the tracks were a bit overgrown, but nothing too hard. All three of the vehicles were towing camper trailers and had no problems at all

FollowupID: 434035

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:53

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:53
So as you dont get lost going there again here is a cut and paste from a report last time i was there
Just after the hills it is east onto the Kurnalpi pinjin road until (all 51j) e 437829 n 6626541 where there is a grid and you turn left following the fenceline until e437476 n6628665 where you come to yowie rockhole and turn r through an open gate onto an old telegraph line. e4445588 gilgarna rock and rockhole kso until e445591 n 6644036 where there is an open gate but you head left (n) if you go straight on you rejoin the Kurnalpi pinjin road. e443803 n 6620269 there is a tank alongside the track and looking to your left is HUNTS Pinnicles you drive accross the samphire salt pan to get to it e442633 n6649896. They are a series OF steep hills grouped together that tower above the flat soroundings with breakaway formations at there base and caves higher up with a cairn atop the highest pinnicle.
AnswerID: 180073

Follow Up By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 22:46

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 22:46
Davoe
Thanks - I have printed it off for future reference
FollowupID: 436770

Sponsored Links