Mounting Spotlights in 105 Series grill

Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:16
ThreadID: 34766 Views:1781 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Morning All......

After our recent accident (well, the guy that came through the give way signs "accident", our spot of bother......), I have been given the green light to keep our cruiser long term. Yay!

Time to get started on some projects.

The first is to mount some spotlights. We have a steel bar (apparantly Victorian Poilce issue), wich has been modified to take a winch. There is no place to put any spotlights, so I was thinking about cutting 2 huge holes in the front grill, and mounting the lights to a bar bolted just behind.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone see any problems with this (there seems to be more than enough space between the grill and the radiator)? How would I ensure clean cuts?

This is just in the thinking it through stage, so I am open to any other options. I already have the lights, and they are pretty big - i would estimate 3cm gaps top and bottom of the grill if installed.

Cheers,

Chump
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: simple - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:34

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:34
why don't you have enough space on the steel bullbar? large lights sitting inside the grill would probably restrict airflow a bit. i have 3 large lights on my bullbar though and haven't had a problem. but being set back where the air can't really flow around them might...?
AnswerID: 177654

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:54

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:54
The holes for the winch are right in the wrong places for light mounting, and the bar at the top is pretty low, so not much manouvering room.....

Airflow is my major concern - just not sure if there would be enough. Mabey I could put a scoop down below the radiator to suck air from behind the winch as well...... I could put a wire mesh on the front to stop bleep being pushed up from vehicles in front.

lol - i just think it would look pretty cool as well - I could have the tops of the lights sticking out from the grill about 2 inches or so, so the bottom of the lights would be flush with the grill.
Thanks for the input,

Chump
FollowupID: 433796

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 15:32

Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 15:32
Adjusting them would be a Major PITA

But it has been done, seen lights set up light that on some cars, with less restrictive grills in terms of allowing light to get out. So the lights were just mounted behind the grill and the grill was left as is.
AnswerID: 177671

Reply By: OsherG - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:34

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:34
if you have room inside the grill it would look really cool, plus the airflow needed to keep the lamps cool needs to be on the lenses so wherever you mount lamps (that will enable them to be used normally) would give you sufficient airflow to the lamps. As for airflow to the radiator etc I'd do the scoop idea and try it out keeping a look at your temp guages. if it doesn't work graba second hand grill rom the wreckers fr $30 and start again!
AnswerID: 179317

Sponsored Links